Gibson Brands Forums

One Step Closer!

midiman56

Looks like the Epiphone Genesis has moved another step closer to reality. I got this today from Epi's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=42516&id=144387482280073

Pretty neat ... although that pickup switch does seem to be in an awfully odd place. Damn Epiphone is gonna cast me MONEY this year ... first the Nighthawk, now this!

Jim

Damn Epiphone is gonna cast me MONEY this year ... first the Nighthawk, now this!

Oh no, I have so much GAS at the moment and this only increases the pressure, hope I don't bump into anything sharp, I'll shoot around the room like a ricocheting bullet.

Think I'll get a blue one since that's a non-original color. To bad they didn't do a natural and/or goldtop. Also no Bigsby version, boohoo.

0b68_3640-1.jpg

30U-12606_body-front.jpg

P1000824640-1.jpg

It will be interesting to take it apart and see if the Indonesians can match the Taiwanese construction quality of the originals.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested that the output jack be moved to the side. That is the one design flaw that should really be addressed in the reissue. IMHO, all of the other facebook comments take away from the quirkiness of the design, and make it more like just another Les Paul wannabe.

P1000746480.jpg

Well, they're talking about it on their facebook page, so I guess that's a little more than a rumor.

Yep ... they've at least gotten to the stage where they've dummied a few of them up!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=42516&id=144387482280073#!/photo.php?fbid=152519901466831&set=a.152519891466832.42516.144387482280073

P.S. What's with the second switch????

Jim

Well, I don't know for sure, Jim, but the second switch may be the same thing that the Ibanez AR300RE has.

They call it the Tri-sound switch.

If they put it on a Genesis, well, I have to buy it :-)

Ibanez AR300RE

Man, that WOULD be fantastic, Xaj!

I owned and gig'd with an Ibanez AR5000 back in the 80's. That guitar will always be my "one that got away!"

Jim

It's a coil-cutter switch. On all of the ones I've messed with, it's factory wired to the neck pickup which seems odd.

I would think that you'd want to have a coil-cutter on the bridge to make it sound more strat-like. I suppose that's easy enough to change though.

Just another quirk of the Genesis.

Thanks for the info Brian.

Essentially, that would turn the neck pickup into a sort of single-coil type sound similar to what you get in a push-pull pot?

I still wished it was something similar to the Tri-sound switch ;)

Archived