Gibson Brands Forums

Broadway Vs. Emperor Regent

Dr. Queue

I've been playing both Electric and classical guitar for four years or so... closer to five, but the point is that recently I've really gotten into jazz and I can't decide between a Broadway and a Regent (I'm playing on a Fender Jaguar and an Ibanez Artcore AFTDG... blah blah blah). For what it's worth my biggest influences are the immortal Django, and Charlie Christian. Please give me your opinions, thanks.

Both the Broadway and Emperor are Epis ??? Post the same thread on the Epi Electric forum.....They REALLY know their Epis there.......Please tell me what you think about your Ibanez Artcore, as it's on my list for my collection at some future point.......Thank you.....Damian..................

Both the Broadway and Emperor are Epis ??? Post the same thread on the Epi Electric forum.....They REALLY know their Epis there.......Please tell me what you think about your Ibanez Artcore, as it's on my list for my collection at some future point.......Thank you.....Damian..................

Not to hijack the thread, but quickly just squeeze this in here...I've got an Artcore, and I'm on the fence about it. However, I'm not a jazz player, but it's unique to the rest of my collection so I've kept it around.

What I can tell you about it, is:

Not a fan of the bridge pickup when guitar is clean. BUT, the guitar has a killer tone when overdriven.

Middle position, and neck positions are nice. I do enjoy playing both. Nice warm bluesy tones.

I'd say for the money (Actually, I'm not sure what they go for these days), it's a great guitar. Ironic that after I say all this, I'm considering selling mine. Need to thin the herd and it's the least used.

Sorry again for the hijack. I know nothing about the OP topic, and I'd comment if I could.

Not to hijack the thread, but quickly just squeeze this in here...I've got an Artcore, and I'm on the fence about it. However, I'm not a jazz player, but it's unique to the rest of my collection so I've kept it around.

What I can tell you about it, is:

Not a fan of the bridge pickup when guitar is clean. BUT, the guitar has a killer tone when overdriven.

Middle position, and neck positions are nice. I do enjoy playing both. Nice warm bluesy tones.

I'd say for the money (Actually, I'm not sure what they go for these days), it's a great guitar. Ironic that after I say all this, I'm considering selling mine. Need to thin the herd and it's the least used.

Sorry again for the hijack. I know nothing about the OP topic, and I'd comment if I could.

Not a thread hijak !!!! Dr. Queue mentions his Artcore....Feel free to PM me if you want to sell your Artcore.......Dem00n gave good advice, and Dr. Queue will re-post on the EPI ELECTRIC forum where there are more Epi guys........OOPS !!!!!!! AND WELCOME Dr Queue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... I can't decide between a Broadway and a Regent ...

Welcome.

The Regent is nice, but I would rather have the Broadway's dual buckers. My nephew has a Broadway, I was with him as a "consultant" when he made his purchase. IMO, the dual buckers give you more versitility, especially for someone who's been into rock.

Generally speaking, all else being equal, the fingerboard mounted pickup of the Emperor Regent will give you a much more "woody" sound than the soundboard mounted pickups of the Broadway which will give you more of an "electric" guitar sound.

As for the dual humbuckers of the Broadway, I VERY seldom use the bridge pickup of my L-5CES, and could completely live without it. I also have a Gibson L-7 with a pickguard mounted pickup (at the neck position), and an old Silvertone archtop that I put a Kent Armstrong fingerboard mounted pickup on, so I own guitars similar to each of the ones in question.

My ultimate jazz guitar would be a 1947 L-5P with a pickguard mounted Benedetto or Kent Lawrence pickup.

The Emperor Regent comes very close to the same general specifications.

I'd pretty much echo L5Larry's comments with one added caveat.

The Emperor Regent has the tone/vol knobs mounted on the pick guard. I'd make absolutely sure these don't get in the way of your right-hand technique before making my final descision.

The twin-pup of the Broadway offers a wider tonal palette but if, as I suspect, your purchase is primarily going to handle jazz duties then the Emperor would be the perfect instrument.

P.

Ah man, BigKahune and Pippy are always right........Thanks for the Artcore thoughts Lashurst......gonna get me one...

Dem00n got his 59 Gibby...not sure which guitar it's closer to.......I collect, I'd get both if I needed them.....

I've been playing both Electric and classical guitar for four years or so... closer to five, but the point is that recently I've really gotten into jazz and I can't decide between a Broadway and a Regent (I'm playing on a Fender Jaguar and an Ibanez Artcore AFTDG... blah blah blah). For what it's worth my biggest influences are the immortal Django, and Charlie Christian. Please give me your opinions, thanks.

Great to meet another classical player who is also a Django fan!

Matt

Archived