Gibson Brands Forums

good tube amp?

schnarz25

Those are absolutely awesome!

I have an ac30CC1 and it sounds awesome. It has amazing clean and dirty tone with no pedals. It takes pedals like a champ. It's all around a really great amp.

I'd recommend the ac30 for more headroom if you're playing with a band although the ac15 can definately take care of business.

I bought mine used and saved a lot of cash.

I don't think there's a line out. You can mic it and run that into a pa though.

Portability isn't an issue for me. The 1x12 ac30 isn't much bigger than the ac15. I usually carry it by bear hugging it and not by the handle and it's easy to move around that way. The 2x12 is much bigger and heavier and is really best to move with two guys.

The ac30 can easily handle a gig without the pa though. Mine really cuts through the mix well too.

The Twin Reverb is probably my favorite amp ever. I would recommend it but it seems to be way out of this guys price range. The Hot Rod series are also great for way less money.

Borderline off topic- huge GAS for the Twin Reverb, and an Orange Rocker 30 from myself

The Hot Rod Series is great for the money

Those are absolutely awesome!

I have an ac30CC1 and it sounds awesome. It has amazing clean and dirty tone with no pedals. It takes pedals like a champ. It's all around a really great amp.

I'd recommend the ac30 for more headroom if you're playing with a band although the ac15 can definately take care of business.

I bought mine used and saved a lot of cash.

+1. I've had a couple AC-15's, and they had great clean tones and took pedals well. I used an AC-30CC1 for a while too, and it had an excellent clean tone. I blew the Celestion Blue in it, and put in a higher watt Warehouse speaker(i forget the model, but it was white). I actually liked it more with the Warehouse speaker(more headroom). Either would be a great choice.

If they are available in your area the Laney VC15 and VC30 make great alternatives to the Vox's

They have line outs for PA and/or effects outs which often work just as well

Same EL 84 power valves and robust build

I agree also the Fenders are good....Deluxe etc for a crystal clear clean sound

V

:-({|=

so which ones better quality brand new? the vox or the fender?

Never owned a Vox myself so I can't speak for their quality but every chance I've had to play one I haven't seen or heard any issues. My Fenders are pretty rock solid. I think you'd be fine either way you go, just make sure you test drive them first to see which you like better.

so which ones better quality brand new? the vox or the fender?

The Vox is made in China and the Fender is made in Mexico.

Even though they're made in China the ac15 and ac30 are really good, solid amps. I don't own a Hot Rod so I couldn't really say anything about their reliability but I've played a bunch in shops and I don't see anything wrong with them...

You should go to a shop and try them out for yourself if possible.

I have Fender amps, mostly...and a Marshall, as well.

Blues Jr., Hot Rod Deluxe, and matching extension cabinet, and a Twin Reverb.

ALL are excellent amps. The HR Deluxe is VERY loud, for it's 40-watt frame.

Our other guitar player uses a Vox AC-30 (2X12)...great sounding, too! I use the

Blues Jr., in bars/small clubs, the HR Deluxe, in larger clubs, Community buildings,

etc. And, the Twin Reverb, in those same, or larger, venues, or out of doors.

Played a recent NYE dance, in a Community Building venue, used the HR Deluxe,

without the extension cabinet, and never went over 2 1/2 on either the volume, OR

the Master Volume. It was plenty full, and loud, even at that low setting. Great

Amps!!

CB

I have an AC15HTV and a Fender Blues Jr. They're two very different sounding amps so go out and audition them before you buy either one - they're both nice amps - there may be a bit more versatility sound wise in the Vox but try them both along with a few others. (BTW amp GAS can be as bad as guitar GAS)

Archived