Gibson Brands Forums

Dumb question - will scotch tape hurt the finish of my LP?

jhanna1701

Hi all,

I'm new to guitar's and trying to learn. I picked up a LP standard plus top. As I'm a visual learning, I was thinking of taping some notes/tabs to the side of my guitar, so that I can see them when I'm looking down at the guitar. Just wondering if scotch tape would have any bad affects on the guitar's finish.

Thanks,

Jamie

I'm new to guitar's and trying to learn. I picked up a LP standard plus top. As I'm a visual learning, I was thinking of taping some notes/tabs to the side of my guitar, so that I can see them when I'm looking down at the guitar. Just wondering if scotch tape would have any bad affects on the guitar's finish.

Welcome to the forums Jamie.

If the guitar is an Epiphone it shouldn't hurt, they have a polyurethane finish that is pretty bullet proof.

If it's a Gibson I would be more careful, they have a nitrocellulouse finish that is much more sensitive to glues, solvents and chemicals.

Welcome to the forums Jamie.

If the guitar is an Epiphone it shouldn't hurt, they have a polyurethane finish that is pretty bullet proof.

If it's a Gibson I would be more careful, they have a nitrocellulouse finish that is much more sensitive to glues, solvents and chemicals.

Yup.

Welcome to the forum Jamie.

There are no dumb questions.

However, if you ever need a dumb answer, I'm at your service.

Willy

The used Squier I bought had a sticker on it that left a permanent mark - slightly dulled the finish. Some slight damage to the side of a guitar wouldn't be of great concern to me, but I'd look into tape with an adhesive that's designed to be removable - you'd be surprised by how many kinds of tape 3M makes. Like this:

http://www.scotchbrand.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchBrand/Scotch/Products/ProductCatalog/?PC_7_RJH9U52300LM30I87QR3ES18H7_nid=230P73G691gsTF1RRQ4PQRgl32BW50TV97bl

I'm kind of on the fence about scotch tape. On one hand is ok stuff and fairly harmless in general...unless you go for the less expensive knockoff stuff that uses cheaper adhesives and liners. The matte finish tape seems to be more removable than the clear tape. But scotch tape doesnt hold up well when exposed to heat & humidity, or being left on something non-porous for too long. The adhesive seperates from the liner and leaves glue residue that can be a pain to remove - and possibly leave dull marks if removed improperly.

My suggestion is to get some removable tape or use post-it notes. Or just set your notes near you somewhere. I had to use cheat sheets at several gigs when I first joined the band I'm currently in. I had a week to learn ten songs and another week to learn ten more. I just used some 8x10 sheets of paper and set them on my amp head.

Yup.

Welcome to the forum Jamie.

There are no dumb questions.

However, if you ever need a dumb answer, I'm at your service.

Willy

I have always believed there is no such thing as stupid questions .... only a stupid answers.

I have always believed there is no such thing as stupid questions .... only a stupid answers.

Hmmmm....I've always believed there is such a thing as a dumb question - the question that goes unasked!!! :) But, yeah - the internet's chock full of dumb answers, for sure...heh.

Scotch tape is not made to be removable. When removed, the adhesive is going to stick to something, and that is generally whatever it is stuck to since that is usually more porous than the cellophane tape backing. Plus it spits and rips during removal which means scraping the rest off the guitar with your fingernail or something.

The are many tapes made with adhesives that are designed to be removable, that means the adhesives remains stuck to the tape backing when removed, NOT the surface it is stuck to. One that comes to mind and is readily available is "painters tape", but even painters tape will only remove properly within a certain amount of time, which will be listed on the roll or packaging.

The used Squier I bought had a sticker on it that left a permanent mark - slightly dulled the finish. Some slight damage to the side of a guitar wouldn't be of great concern to me, but I'd look into tape with an adhesive that's designed to be removable - you'd be surprised by how many kinds of tape 3M makes. Like this:

http://www.scotchbrand.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchBrand/Scotch/Products/ProductCatalog/?PC_7_RJH9U52300LM30I87QR3ES18H7_nid=230P73G691gsTF1RRQ4PQRgl32BW50TV97bl

Fringe,

Buy some wool lube and some very fine polishing cloth from Stew-Mac. Bet you can polish that right out of there. Had a similar problem with my LP robot guitar, as I got some moisture clouding where my forearm would brush the guitar. It zapped it right outta there. Finished it up with some swirl/haze remover from Fender. She's never looked better! [thumbup]

Fringe,

Buy some wool lube and some very fine polishing cloth from Stew-Mac. Bet you can polish that right out of there. Had a similar problem with my LP robot guitar, as I got some moisture clouding where my forearm would brush the guitar. It zapped it right outta there. Finished it up with some swirl/haze remover from Fender. She's never looked better!

Thanks! I figgered it could be polished out - it's just not very important, especially on a fifty-dollar guitar.

Is wool lube popular in New Zealand?

Archived