Gibson Brands Forums

"Bozeman, we have a problem"

albertjohn

Couldn't help but notice, albertjohn, that one of your cigars - sorry, guitars, is a 1972 Yamaha SG30. That makes it about 35 years older than the 'neck-split' Gibson. Presumable, with all these massive swings in humidity and temperature you suffer from in Esex, it's fingerboard is by now in another county, if not actually overseas.....

.....because surely a piece of Yahahaha held together by steam-age oriental glues cannot compare to the finest American adhesives applied by top craftsmen and women in the 21st Century?

Couldn't help but notice' date=' [b']albertjohn[/b], that one of your cigars - sorry, guitars, is a 1972 Yamaha SG30. That makes it about 35 years older than the 'neck-split' Gibson. Presumable, with all these massive swings in humidity and temperature you suffer from in Esex, it's fingerboard is by now in another county, if not actually overseas.....

.....because surely a piece of Yahahaha held together by steam-age oriental glues cannot compare to the finest American adhesives applied by top craftsmen and women in the 21st Century?

The "neck split" looks very much like a nitro lacquer split from the underside. I understand this has the consistency of glass as opposed to my B&Q polyurathane finish I applied 30 years ago to the Yammy. In fact the neck is unbound and unfinished. So I'd say you are comparing apples and pears as it appears at the moment not to be a glue issue.

I have a consultation with the good Dr this evening (at an Indian restuarant - his stag night!) which I hope will answer a few questions.

Will update.

It seems to me that an old guitar's fretboard is relatively stable whereas a year old Boseman Gibson might have stability issues. From what you've said you also haven't had wide extremes of temperature or relative humidity, so it is a question of the fretboard shrinking from the wood either being unstable or improperly dried.

A new guitar of that price should not behave that way especially if it has not been mistreated and has been cared for in a normal range environment of temperature and humidity. That is NOT a "finish" issue. It is a fretboard stability issue that has CAUSED a finish issue.

My house is heated. However it is very old and the room where I store my guitars has a radiator which only just gets warm to the touch. The guitars are not left near the radiator. It's a room which is rarely used so I've never worried about the heating. It does get rather cold in the winter but since owning the guitar we have had very few frosts.

It has been particularly wet in UK since Jan and we've had a wet summer. My roses have never been better but I fear it does not suit the Gibson.

Drathbun, if you look at his post again, you will see that the room where he keeps his guitar gets "rather cold in the winter" and he also said that "it has been particularly wet in UK". You could be right about it being a fretboard issue, but I think it's also probable that it could be a humidity/temperature issue.

I'm sure he'll get a better idea as to the problem, once he has it checked out. But then again, it's possible that the direct cause may never be known for sure.

I had Robbie look at the SWD in the flesh on Thursday night. Please bear in mind there were a dozen of us having a "ruby" (Ruby Murray = curry) but he was quite sober when he did so.

GS and Drathbun, you're both right I think. Robbie has suggested that the fretboard has expanded due to excess moisture but thinks it has, at some piont, dried out again quickly and then shrunk. This movement has caused the lacquer cracking and the slight lifting of the binding on about the 17th fret.

The solution will be to reglue and clamp the board where it had lifted. As for the lacquer, we'll leave it a while and refinish as necessary next springtime.

Rosetti, the former Gibson distributors, are aware of the problem and have been extremely helpful. If it is to be a warranty issue then Robbie would do the work in any event.

So, like I said before, it sounds and plays like $1m and the problem will be dealt with so I'm content at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your input in this and I'll keep you posted of developments.

Sorry AJ I had meant to ask yesterday.

Very glad to hear that it's all fixeable!

Mind you if Robbie can't fix it probably only KSD could (although Thermionik would give it a good go!)

I have decided to take my J45 and L5 copy up to Robbie for a bit of work when do they get back from honeymoon. I want to see him personally if I can?

Given up mowing!

The sun's just gone over the yardarm!

16.30 heralds the advent of Johnnie Walker!

Certainly swelling an rapid drying would cause the symptoms evident in your photos. The good news is, with a qualified repair, the repair can be rendered invisible to the eye. The swelling first and then the contraction would also account for why the fret ends did not protrude.

Certainly swelling an rapid drying would cause the symptoms evident in your photos. The good news is' date=' with a qualified repair, the repair can be rendered invisible to the eye. The swelling first and then the contraction would also account for why the fret ends did not protrude.[/quote']

That's exactly what Robbie said. To confirm , there are no frets protruding.

As for GS's prevention point; I keep it in it's case when not used and this may be adding to the problem. Robbie has suggested I play it more often as the changes in humidity will not be so pronounced if its out of its case more often.

We really shouldn't have to humidify/dehumidify in the UK. Anyway, my house dates back to the mid 1700s and is a drafty as...... well, as drafty as I was the morning after the beer and curry, so this is not really an option for me.

Small children, dogs, cats and a wife who's vacuuming driving skills are a bit erratic means I would prefer not to keep it out of its case all the time.

I agree with Robbie, albertjohn. It isn't SO much the temperatures and relative humidity, as it is sudden and uncontrolled changes in temperature and RH.

For example, if you forget your guitar in the car for a couple hours in the winter, it is going to be basically frozen. With a human, (in a cold water drowning for example), if you raise their body temperature rapidly after the freezing experience, you'd most likely kill them. The same with the guitar. It needs to be brought to room temperature very very gradually. When I received my Rickenbacker 4003FG bass from AMS, it was in the middle of February and the guitar was VERY cold. I let it sit in the case over night to ensure there was no rapid temperature increase.

I have all my guitars out on stands or on wall hangers all year long. I keep my music room (19'x12') humidified with a warm mist humidifier and keep two hygrometers in the room and monitor the RH all year. In the summer (I'm in a desert climate) the humidity can drop below 30%. However, I don't panic unless there is a long period of low humidity. As long as there aren't huge shifts in temp or RH, OR there are no extended periods of time at high (+50%) or low RH (30% or lower), the guitar tends to relax through the changes and breathe with them. Of course, truss rod tweaking might be necessary at the start or end of the winter home-heating season. AND, winter home heating in dry climates like mine can cause incredible drops in RH very quickly.

Top stuff Drathbun, GS and KSD in particular and everyone who has contributed. I've learned alot from this thread and could have easily gone into an uncontrolled tail spin over my beloved SWD.

I've learned that it has mood swings, is unpredictable but ultimately a joy to be with. Reminds me of........err can't remember.

Archived