Gibson Brands Forums

New Explorer with Paint Cracks (pics)

Scream And Fly

I bought this Explorer brand new from an authorized dealer a few months ago. Two months later, I noticed that there is a small paint crack on both sides of the neck right at the seam where the neck is glued to the body. It appears to be in the paint only, and the guitar otherwise plays fine. The guitar has never been outside (I live in South Florida), never been knocked over or anything, and always in the case. I barely even played it actually. I'm not sure if it came like this or if these cracks developed after.

Anyway, I emailed Gibson but I never heard back from them. I understand nitro finishes check easily, but would this kind of paint checking be normal so soon?

sfknkh.jpg

sav4eo.jpg

Good news is that being where the "crack" is makes it just a finish issue. I know it sucks, but there's nothing wrong with the guitar. The nitro lacquer will do this anyway over time, and being exposed to a wild temperature change even 1 time could cause this as well. Humidity or temperature changes is what caused this, being that the body wood and neck/fingerboard wood has expanded or contracted at different rates. It may go forever without getting worse :) And anyone that knows anything about guitars would not be too concerned about this if the time comes to sell it. Checking is not covered under warranty, but maybe the store you bought it from has a return policy if it bothers you that much. All in all, your guitar is probably structurally sound.

Gibson's warranty does not cover the finish IIRC. That is a common area for the famous Gibson nitrocellulose finish to crack up (along the seams of the neck joint), it's happened to a couple of mine. I hate it, Ed Roman hates it, and Gibson doesn't give a damn about it.

thats also a fine photo of a HORRIBLY crafted(?) (I use the term loosely here) fretboard edge......their major competitor does a better job than that on their $400 Mexican "entry level" guitars.

if it were me, i'd be raking the retailer over the coals until I got a new, well examined replacement.

the more often they get away with it, the more "comfy" they get doing it !!

thats also a fine photo of a HORRIBLY crafted(?) (I use the term loosely here) fretboard edge......their major competitor does a better job than that on their $400 Mexican "entry level" guitars.

if it were me, i'd be raking the retailer over the coals until I got a new, well examined replacement.

the more often they get away with it, the more "comfy" they get doing it !!

well i agree with that, buyers should be more aggressive with that, i mean, when we put some good money for a nice guitar, we should make gibson understand that we want to receive good quality product

it is quiet rare but you should send it back, (if warranty takes that in account)

it never happened to my epiphone byt the way or even to some poor quality asian guitars, that shouldn't be the case with a gibson

• 3 weeks later...

Don't have the guitar anymore,but it happened to an U2 epiphone I bought 6 years ago,it was already old at this time.It bothered me a lot and made me wonder too.Due to the location of the problem,I thought that the setting of the neck could be loose,so I removed the finish to the naked wood,and believe me the structure was ok.The guitar ended with a natural finish of my own.

Archived