Gibson Brands Forums

Studio pricing question

Gibson Artist

Ok so im looking at Les Paul Studio prices and i notice a drastic change, how come the faded models are only like 800 and some of the others are like 1300 on mf? Is there better pickups or is the finish on the others harder or more expensive hence the higher tag?

Also, is there any real difference between a studio and a standard in sound quality or is the binding and weight the only real difference? Any information appreciated as this could potentially be my first Gibson purchase.

I know there's plenty of used but if im buying a les paul i want it brand new.

Ps if anyone has bigger pictures of their studios id love to see them. [biggrin]

I'm not an expert, and someone will probably correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the price differences in some of the studio's comes down to things like AAA maple top, gold hardware, inlays on the neck, etc...

As far as I know, the pickups should be the same in all studio models though. Or at least those made during the same time period.

Here's my 2006 Studio "Premium Plus" - bought new at 1400, I think.

P1010185.JPG

P1010192.JPG

Also, I have not spent a lot (or any actually) time with a standard in my hands, but I've read the opinions of many who claim Studio's sound just as good as standards. Only real difference being the aesthetic bells and whistles.

If you're NOT concerned with the cosmetic differences between the studios and standards, then I'd say go for the studio.

A Premium Plus like Evan's is still much cheaper than a standard, and might even be of better quality than some of the more

expensive models.

The faded studios (as well as the faded SG's) are basically the no-frills versions of the higher end guitars.

I've played the faded VM LP and it feels and sounds like a Gibby should. [thumbup]

higher price comes from more materials and labor. the faded obviously does not need as much labor as the

high gloss finish studio. and I think the faded comes with chrome hardware instead of gold.

they both have the same pickups and wood types.

I'm not an expert, and someone will probably correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the price differences in some of the studio's comes down to things like AAA maple top, gold hardware, inlays on the neck, etc...

As far as I know, the pickups should be the same in all studio models though. Or at least those made during the same time period.

Here's my 2006 Studio "Premium Plus" - bought new at 1400, I think.

P1010185.JPG

P1010192.JPG

Also, I have not spent a lot (or any actually) time with a standard in my hands, but I've read the opinions of many who claim Studio's sound just as good as standards. Only real difference being the aesthetic bells and whistles.

That's a sweet axe. Is that flamed maple top?

If you're NOT concerned with the cosmetic differences between the studios and standards, then I'd say go for the studio.

A Premium Plus like Evan's is still much cheaper than a standard, and might even be of better quality than some of the more

expensive models.

The faded studios (as well as the faded SG's) are basically the no-frills versions of the higher end guitars.

I've played the faded VM LP and it feels and sounds like a Gibby should. [thumbup]

My wallet can barely afford the faded but my heart would like one of the more expensive studios. I love the Heritage Cherry but strangely guitar center and musiciansfriend dont have a price on it??

higher price comes from more materials and labor. the faded obviously does not need as much labor as the

high gloss finish studio. and I think the faded comes with chrome hardware instead of gold.

they both have the same pickups and wood types.

Thank you and others for the information, i was sort of hoping the regular studio models all had the same pickups, id hate to buy an inferior model. I probably would buy an epi les paul first but i made the mistake or some would say (good fortune lol) of trying the Gibson first and i loved it!

Thank you and others for the information, i was sort of hoping the regular studio models all had the same pickups, id hate to buy an inferior model. I probably would buy an epi les paul first but i made the mistake or some would say (good fortune lol) of trying the Gibson first and i loved it!

epi's got the nighthawk comin out soon. only 399. Im getting one. but if youre looking for a nice epi lester I would go for the lp custom

or the lp standard plus top

epi's got the nighthawk comin out soon. only 399. Im getting one. but if youre looking for a nice epi lester I would go for the lp custom

or the lp standard plus top

Yes, i saw those. Even made a post on them. Ive been wanting to buy my first Gibson and was checking out the Firebird, the Les Paul Studio and the Nighthawk. Ultimately, the one im leaning most towards now is the studio paul but i might get an epi nighthawk too this year if the budget permits.

It's difficult, me and my fiance are saving for a home so asking if i can buy a 1200 dollar guitar is hardly a need but she actually didnt get angry, she just said you sound to me like youve already made up your mind, go get it lol.

expensive models.

How come it says on the studio page the higher priced studios it says they have 490R and 498T Alnico II magnet humbucker pickups but the faded have Burstbucker pro pickups?

Is there any difference?

My Studio Deluxe '60s has has a 490R in the neck and a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge plus both can be coil tapped.

They currently run about $1399 but got mine on sale when it first came out and used a 15% off coupon for an even better price.

I guess my concern was is the bursbucker pickup less hot than the 490 stuff?

This right from the Gibby website.

Neck and Bridge In the neck position, the uncovered 490R uses Alnico II magnets and features pole-piece spacing suitable to the string spread at the neck position. In the bridge position is Gibson's uncovered Burstbucker Pro pickup, which features an Alnico V magnet that offers slightly higher output and allows preamps to be driven a little harder to achieve a more natural break-up. Like all Burstbuckers, the Burstbucker Pro has asymmetrical coils — true to the original PAFs — which supply a more open sound. The Burstbucker Pro pickups are also wax potted to allow loud volume pressures with minimal feedback.

My Studio Deluxe '60s has has a 490R in the neck and a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge plus both can be coil tapped.

They currently run about $1399 but got mine on sale when it first came out and used a 15% off coupon for an even better price.msp_thumbup.gif

IMG_0650-1.jpg

that is beautiful [wub]

I know I'd seen this somewhere. This should answer your question about output.

Looks like the 498T is hotter than the burstbucker pros.

GibsonPickupsOutputChart.jpg

Humm, that adds some torturous decision making on my part. I could buy a faded studio tonight or wait a month or so to get the more expensive model with the 498?

Humm, that adds some torturous decision making on my part. I could buy a faded studio tonight or wait a month or so to get the more expensive model with the 498?

Pickups can be changed out / upgraded etc.........How much do you know about guitars ????? [confused] :unsure: [crying] .......

Pickups can be changed out / upgraded etc.........How much do you know about guitars ????? [confused] :unsure: [crying] .......

It's not JUST the pickups, the finish is better on the other models and they actually come with a hard case. Seems a little irritating you can blow 900 bucks on a guitar and it doenst come with a hardshell case. I factor that in also and as far as guitars go ive been playing since 1983 and have owned about a dozen and my 900 dollar ibanez af 105 came with a hard case so why shouldnt the les paul?

My first 15 years playing was acoustic only.

Ok so im looking at Les Paul Studio prices and i notice a drastic change, how come the faded models are only like 800 and some of the others are like 1300 on mf? Is there better pickups or is the finish on the others harder or more expensive hence the higher tag?....

Putting a good glossy finish on a guitar is very skilled-labor-intensive (skilled labor is not cheap) and takes more time ("time is money") compared to that required to put a "faded", "worn", or satin finish on a guitar. That's the real difference between an $800 Studio Faded and a $1300 Studio with a glossy finish. Any cost difference in the pups that each may come equipped with is probably negligible.

(I'm not a furniture or guitar finisher, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

It's not JUST the pickups, the finish is better on the other models and they actually come with a hard case. Seems a little irritating you can blow 900 bucks on a guitar and it doenst come with a hardshell case. I factor that in also and as far as guitars go ive been playing since 1983 and have owned about a dozen and my 900 dollar ibanez af 105 came with a hard case so why shouldnt the les paul?

I have ALWAYS gotten a free hardshell case with my Gibsons, I have always gotten good prices, and I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.............................

And I know my guitars well....all 60+ of them.......................good luck with your decision.....

Oh, yeah; I forgot about the hsc. That's probably a 100 bucks of that faded to glossy price difference.

Archived