Gibson Brands Forums

A Question of Strings...

JiveTurkey4Jesus

I am brand new to the forums (as I just recently purchased my first Gibson) and noticed you are all very helpful to those in need. My question is: What sort of strings (gauge, brand, etc.) would you all recommend for a 2006 Doves in Flight?

I have never owned a guitar anywhere near as nice as the one I just purchased (I bought it half because of its sound and half because it's strikingly beautiful). Because of this, I have slapped light gauge Elixirs on my other guitars as I just want easy playability. Obviously, I'm not going to put them on the DIF because I want to get the best sound that I can out of it.

I am brand new to the forums (as I just recently purchased my first Gibson) and noticed you are all very helpful to those in need. My question is: What sort of strings (gauge' date=' brand, etc.) would you all recommend for a 2006 Doves in Flight?

I have never owned a guitar anywhere near as nice as the one I just purchased (I bought it half because of its sound and half because it's strikingly beautiful). Because of this, I have slapped light gauge Elixirs on my other guitars as I just want easy playability. Obviously, I'm not going to put them on the DIF because I want to get the best sound that I can out of it.

[/quote']

Firstly welcome to the forum, you will find a plethora of infromation, wit and comedy here.

BTW it is traditional to post a pic of your new guitar especially when she's a D.I.F.!

I will have first pot at answering your question to stop you making the mistake I made for nearly 30 years with my J45.

Always strung with UK lights (010s)

see this thread

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=6272

I now have a different guitar!

The make of string Gibson Masterbuilts, the guage 012s!

BR

John

Welcome and congrats' on the DIF. I use D'Addario EJ16's (12 gauge) on all my acoustics. They have a nice balanced tone and last a long time. Second favorite are Clapton's Choice by Martin, great tone but they tarnish quickly.

Only you can be the judge of what sounds best on your guitar. I would suggest buying a different make of strings each time and see which one you like best. It may take a while but in the long run it will be worth it.

I use D'addario EJ16 12-53s on my J45, Ernie Ball Earthwoods in 80/20 Bronze on my Hummingbird, Rotosound 12-54 Phosphor Bronze or Martin Clapton's Choice on my SJ200, Martin 12-54s in 80/20 Bronze on my B15, and Martin 11-52s in 80/20 Bronze on my Guild parlour. I recommend trying out a bunch of different makes, blends and gauges and see which ones suit your Dove and your ears! I for one have never tried 85/15 Bronze strings but am keen to. The difference that the right set of strings can make to your guitar is immense.

welcome to the forum. great bunch of guys/girls/chaps here. i just put ej17's on my songwriter deluxe and it has taken it to a different level. if you are a heavy-handed strummer, like myself, you might enjoy the added bit of power a heavier gauge gives you. the guitars are built to handle the stress. however, if you are a fingerpicker you may want to stay with the 12 gauge. i have always used d'addario but there are many brands out there. the bad ones will get pointed out to you rather quickly. there was just a thread here about favourite strings. do a forum search (upper task bar beside the 'inbox' icon) and look for it. pretty much everything you'll need to know was discussed and a lot of useless info, as well. we ramble and digress a bit.

Welcome to the Forum. The string question comes up a lot and you already have received a condensed version of what you want to know. Your new Gibby will definitely handle the medium gauge strings, usually 13-56. I've used D'Addario EJ-17's on my J-45 and they sounded great. I do mostly fingerpicking and thought the mediums stressed my hands out a bit. I'm an admitted "old fart" so that may not be an issue for you. EJ-16's (12-53) have been my strings of choice for about 30 years, can't go wrong there. I have Gibson Masterbuilt SJ-200 lights on my SJ-200, go figure, and they are very nice. Right now I have Elixer Nanoweb 80/20 bronze lights on the J-45 and I think they really brighten it up. Next I'm going to try Jinder's choice of the Ernie Ball Eartwood 80/20 bronze on the SJ-200 as it's maple and I assume Jinder's "Bird is also. I agree with others who say to give an assortment a try and see what your ears say. ( I know, ears hear, but they also say things!) If you start with strings that others have mentioned here, at least you'll know you won't be getting any trash strings by accident. You'll only be left with a decision as to which of all these quality strings sounds best to you. And Bob's your uncle!

I use EJ16s (that's 12s JT!) on my SWD. I also like the Martin SPs - with the bronze coloured plain strings. Good value and sound great.

Did I feel a pat on the head?

If they're 12s why don't they call them EJ12s?

It s hard enough at my age working out which string goes where!

I like the ones with the little coloured rings on the end, they give you a sporting chance when you re-string!

If I get to the weekend without biting the head off a goldfish or a cat it'll be a miracle

The Gibson SJ200 strings are my favorite, but I get them off line, as no store near me carries them.....however, in a pinch I have used various Martin's and have always been fairly satisfied.

Peavy is actually making some good sounding strings right now, but they don't hold up well. I had never broken a string before until I used a few sets of them. They only hold up for about 3 weeks,

I play pretty heavy but Martin's and Gibson's strings always hold up.

Archived