Gibson Brands Forums

So what do we play now?

daveinspain

How many times can you play the same songs for the same crowd? We have a gig coming up the end of February. Because of some member changes in the band and time off looks like we will be playing almost the same set as the last time we played out. We do have a couple new tunes and everyone really enjoyed the show last gig but I can't help but think people are going to say they played the same material last time we saw them... Does it matter?

No; people have their favorite songs, and will always be happy to hear them again and again........If a band does them well, like your band does, they will expect to hear many of the same songs.....

What helps is to change the order of the songs Dave...........and maybe a little bit in arrangements.........Just don't play " Smoke on the Water " or " Stairway to Heaven ", but your band doesn't cover

those songs anyways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I like to change it up as much as possible, but I doubt anyone would notice the first couple times. You could always change the order, like the switch the first and third set.

It's just a one hour set and that's it.... So I guess we will just change up the order and stick a couple new tunes in we learned... One thing that they will notice is we lost one guitar player but we added a sax.... [thumbup]

True about people having favorite songs. Just tell them you have restructured the band an are in the process of working up some new material. If that doesn't work lie to the bastards.

We notice this kind of thing, I think, more than others unless we're like a house band where the customers are pretty much the same folks. Then "we" can get feedback on the type of stuff they may like to hear.

m

It's just a one hour set and that's it.... So I guess we will just change up the order and stick a couple new tunes in we learned... One thing that they will notice is we lost one guitar player but we added a sax.... [thumbup]

Oh cool, I love playing with a good sax player.

We notice this kind of thing, I think, more than others unless we're like a house band where the customers are pretty much the same folks. Then "we" can get feedback on the type of stuff they may like to hear.

m

The staff will notice after a few times in the same place. I've noticed keeping the staff happy (or at least not bored) keeps the customers happy. A grumpy waitress or bartender will influence the mood of the room.

When I'm not playing I like to go out a see good bands, one night I mentioned to a waitress that I like to catch this particular act when they play there. She said, "I used to like them but they play the same songs in the same order every time." That's when I realized there's three perspectives to take into consideration when putting together set lists, The Crowds, The Bands, and the Venue Staffs (in that order).

Hm...Try running through your setlist and picking an "alternate" for each tune that's on your main list. You know, songs with similar themes, similar "sounds," melodic similarities etc., so that you can, if you see fit, replace one song for another, similar song which is already predetermined and which the whole band knows (hopefully) as well as the song it is replacing. You could replace an entire setlist with an "alternate" setlist if that's what needs to be done.

...Just an idea?

We have over 500 songs in our "book". However, we end up playing about 100 of them over and over and over and over again, because that's what our audience responds to the most.

It's a balancing act. You have to play the ones they want to hear the most quite often, or those people will lose interest. On the other hand, you have to insert some different songs as well so that you are not too predictable.

And the balance between the two depends on the audience.

The worst thing you can do is play the songs in the same order each time. You don't want the audience to be able to predict the next song and be correct.

And if you want to keep the staff happy, keep the customers happy, and occasionally remind them to take care of the staff (tip). Be as subtle or as bold as the crowd needs in that respect.

If you want to keep the owner happy, keep the customers as happy as you can so they stay longer, spend more money, and return more often.

That's my 2 cents.

Notes ♫

Archived