Gibson Brands Forums

IT Types

Bowdiddley

In a domain environment, which is my environment, I need to purchase CAL's (client access licences) for each user.

Prices vary depending on your type of business.

Steep price reductions can be had for educational institutions, not for profit groups etc. Same goes for your Server licence.

Dave

I'm thinking it would be a workgroup environment? Not sure. It will be for 5 users logging in from different locations (ie states) to utilize the software thats on my business server.

I'm trying to figure out what is needed to allow my agents to login and utilize the companies software which is a multi user industry software (Windows) simultaneously. Accessing through the internet.

I'm thinking it would be a workgroup environment? Not sure. It will be for 5 users logging in from different locations (ie states) to utilize the software thats on my business server.

I'm trying to figure out what is needed to allow my agents to login and utilize the companies software which is a multi user industry software (Windows) simultaneously. Accessing through the internet.

To be honest Bow, I would hire a local IT consulting office to get this done. There is so many factors involved that it would be insane to discuss over the Gibby Forum. Security and licensing would be a big factor. If it was a local area network, it would be a bit easier.

Thanks for the advice Bill I'll check into a local expert. If it were LAN I have always been able to set those up but this remote access option is over my head.

So you're saying that I'll have to have some special licensing other than the multi user license package's I already have for my OS Software and the software I run my business on?

Thanks for the advice Bill I'll check into a local expert. If it were LAN I have always been able to set those up but this remote access option is over my head.

So you're saying that I'll have to have some special licensing other than the multi user license package's I already have for my OS Software and the software I run my business on?

I think that licensing should be sufficient.

do they really need to log on to your server, or just access it's shared resources? (printer, shared drives, maybe web or mail services)

it would be best to advertise only the services needed by your users, to minimize load and security issues.

check to see if your application uses some form of data connection: you could potentially only need to open up the pieces necessary for the data transfer.

if they absolutely need to be granted RDC type access to run software, you might want to look at running a vnc service instead (if supported), and minimize permissions at the service level. if you are in a windows domain environment, then you could set up a terminal server (that will require additional expense for client access licenses, and better yet a dedicated domain controller though.)

i agree hiring someone who knows the specifics of your application, esp. relative to remote use, would be best.

hope this helps!

Don

Archived