Gibson Brands Forums

Unplugged Shows

neilpanda

This summer Im planning to perform more. So Im planning a summer unplugged tour.

Ive been planning to go around the parks around my town and play some music.

Ive already contacted city hall about it. Im pretty excited.

(thats what I got the harmonicas for)

Anybody ever play these kinds of shows?

Beastie [biggrin]

This summer Im planning to perform more. So Im planning a summer unplugged tour.

Beastie [biggrin]

That's my plan for when the weather gets warmer. Got my harmonica, got my guitar and it should be a blast

Yeah, I miss my little one man acoustic show. Playin' Coffee Houses and Book Stores around town. Not like every weekend or anything close, the Electric Rock Band is doing so well (better than I ever could have hoped) that my Acoustic stuff has been neglected.

It is way more personal and intimate than electric music, specially when you draw in a little crowd. The can hear every little nuance between your fingers and the strings, the sound that meets their ear is from your guitar and voice, not recreated out of electricity and paper. It's like shaking hands with an audience as opposed to just saying, "Hello".

Even in the 60s you didn't do bluegrass or acoustic stuff in most venues without a PA, at minimum, because nobody could hear you.

That's one reason I always lobby younger pickers toward a PA before they get the $10 million tube stack 9,230 watt amp. They're more likely to get a small gig where the PA is still required than the one where they _need_ the stack. That's especially true if they play any acoustic at all.

There's another technical reason why unplugged is better with some sort of amplification, and that's because if you've gotta bang on a guitar to be heard, you've gotta use an instrument and a technique that works with that kind of playing.

That's why Mother Maybelle had that big old Gibson archtop and incredibly heavy strings and beat on it with thumb and fingerpicks with what's now known as the Carter Family Scratch. It's where the big Martin and Gibson boxes came from and the reason for the pick guard.

Me? I'm pretty gentle. I don't play classical guitar style venues, and if I took an unamplified guitar to most of the saloons around here you couldn't hear the guitar more than 3 feet from the sound hole anyway. You need a PA and two mikes or an A-E and one mike...

So...

m

I love busking enjoy it a lot more than playing on stage. love the small groups of people and the ability they have to interact with you comfortably, sometimes the take is weak and sometimes it's amazing how generous people can be. I play a couple of large street and art shows a year and really look forward to them.

I even do some acoustic unplugged stuff mixed in when I'm performing at the hotels especially in small pool area bars again it get's you closer to the audience and I love the give and take.

Beastie [biggrin]

Yes......in parks; only as planned.

Yes I never did it much until this past year when I was asked to accompany a young guitarist singer for a benefit show. That one off led to a few other coffee house gigs. Enjoyed it.

Coffee type gigs are OK.....

No, I'm addicted to power and amplification.

Although, I do like watching others do unplugged, I'm a closet blue grass fan.

There is just something so cool about banjos, fiddles and acoustic guitars pickin' away!

Darn you Cabba..I've been tryin' to here your music full core...got links ??.....Cabba unplugged sounds good...links ??

Yeah, I miss my little one man acoustic show. Playin' Coffee Houses and Book Stores around town. Not like every weekend or anything close, the Electric Rock Band is doing so well (better than I ever could have hoped) that my Acoustic stuff has been neglected.

It is way more personal and intimate than electric music, specially when you draw in a little crowd. The can hear every little nuance between your fingers and the strings, the sound that meets their ear is from your guitar and voice, not recreated out of electricity and paper. It's like shaking hands with an audience as opposed to just saying, "Hello".

Yup.....

I'll definitely agree about the smaller venue being much more personal. Never particularly cared for a stage with lighting so you didn't know whether anybody showed up in the audience.

I still like a bit of a PA, though...

m

Ive busked and done a few eric clapton unplugged songs. Went down ok I think, but tbh I dont think many people recognised the songs because the clapton unplugged album sounds so different from the normal version. Take layla for example. Its way differnt when unplugged.

Archived