Gibson Brands Forums

MEAT!!!

MojoRedFoot

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love a good rabbit roast in brown gravy, BBQ'd duck, and quail too and have been dying to try wild boar. I hear it has a nice nutty flavor because they eat so many damn acorns and chestnuts.

Ugh you had to bring up quail, that used to be my favorite but the quail population here has dwindled to nonexistence in this half of Kansas so I haven't eaten it in close to 10 years. For a while I even toyed with the idea of making a quail farm.

Oh it's all pretty good I'm one of those that think vegetables are only for decoration. If I had to pick my favorite it would probably be a nice slice of pepper crusted prime rib, or maybe some of the extra large grilled shrimp down in Mexico. Or let's see it could be in ground BBQ pork from Hawaii or as long as were in Hawaii how about some nice grilled Ono from Mama's Fish House.

I think my favorite changes quite a bit over the years and locations and it usually has a lot to do with preparation. 10-15 years ago I was doing a surf trip along the coast of Mexico headed towards Mexico City we were in a small beach town near Mazatlan and I had taco's at a small street stand that were truly amazing. They were being cooked on a open grill with a huge plate of steel laid over it. Never was really sure what kind of meat it was, if I had to guess I'd say goat and chicken but that's mostly because I wanted it to be chicken. Good thing was at least I didn't see any collars or tags and nobody seemed to be missing a dog. [blink]

I asked the guy in my poor spanish what the (chicken)? was and he said it was a bird and made flying motions so we all assumed it was chicken, again maybe hopefully. It was heavily spiced and salted maybe that covered the taste of seagull but whatever it was it was sure good. I knew it was fine dining when I saw the corn was being cooked in a metal garbage can they built a fire in the can and grilled the corn in the lid, but he guaranteed us it was a new unsed garbage can when he started... [thumbup]

All those surf trips and street vendors all over the world it's amazing I didn't poison myself but hell I never even really got very sick :unsure:

p.s. I did have to leave a restaurant once though they were making blood pudding ad Menudo and even my cast iron stomach couldn't handle the smell of those two combined.

Fellow bow hunter Nate?

I have a bow, and I'm pretty good at it, just haven't gotten a chance to go out and hunt anything with it yet though... its depressing

Seriously, you have to see the size of these bucks in my suburb of Chicago neighborhood, these things are fricking huge! Saw an 8 point last month... fresh snow... easy blood trail

And the best thing is, they will literally come up to people, and these idiots will like hand feed them!

Some favorites...

BBQ beef or pork

Ribeye steak w/ blue cheese on top

Thick hamburgers

Beef tacos

Chicken wings

Hot dogs w/accoutrement

I wish we got elk and bison down here like you folks out west

We eat lots of fish since we're on the coast. Always fresh

grouper, dolphin, snapper, cobia, flounder, trout, redfish, etc.

I have a bow, and I'm pretty good at it, just haven't gotten a chance to go out and hunt anything with it yet though... its depressing

Seriously, you have to see the size of these bucks in my suburb of Chicago neighborhood, these things are fricking huge! Saw an 8 point last month... fresh snow... easy blood trail

And the best thing is, they will literally come up to people, and these idiots will like hand feed them!

They have a knack for knowing when they are safe from us humans :) Your Illinois bucks rival ours from what I hear. I have a shoulder mount of my first Pope and Young buck looking down at me while I type this, you should really try to get out and go sometime. Spending some time in the tree and the sounds of nature all around you is so enjoyable. Getting away from the electronics and rush of everyday life to just empty my mind and enjoy the moment. Some tasty venison steaks and jerky doesn't hurt either [wink]

They have a knack for knowing when they are safe from us humans :) Your Illinois bucks rival ours from what I hear. I have a shoulder mount of my first Pope and Young buck looking down at me while I type this, you should really try to get out and go sometime. Spending some time in the tree and the sounds of nature all around you is so enjoyable. Getting away from the electronics and rush of everyday life to just empty my mind and enjoy the moment. Some tasty venison steaks and jerky doesn't hurt either [wink]

I've gone shotgun hunting when I was younger, never really got a good shot at anything, just went along with my dad and had a blast walking around with a shotgun and spending time with him. Venison jerky is the food of the gods

I gotta find somewhere to hunt

I asked the guy in my poor spanish what the (chicken)? was and he said it was a bird and made flying motions so we all assumed it was chicken, again maybe hopefully. It was heavily spiced and salted maybe that covered the taste of seagull but whatever it was it was sure good. I knew it was fine dining when I saw the corn was being cooked in a metal garbage can they built a fire in the can and grilled the corn in the lid, but he guaranteed us it was a new unsed garbage can when he started... [thumbup]

You joke about seagull, but when I was in Jeju (Island off the coast of Korea) we did pass a seagull restaurant. Growing up on Lake Huron and seeing what those scavengers eat, you could not pay me enough to taste it. Nasty.

Archived