Gibson Brands Forums

polish

hoverp

Any one use the orange bottled Gibson pump polish on you rprized acoustic? I bought a bottle but wanted to ask and see if anyone is using it. It says it cleans, conditions and applies a small bit of Laquer...the laquer part is the part that has me concerened with build up. I own a 07 sj200.

If not what is your favorite cleaner conditioner for the guitar and for the fretboard.

Thanks

Patrick

hoverp-I use it on all my guitars. I have an SJ-200 un-elite and have no issues with the polish. Supposedly, the TRACE amount of nitro in the polish helps eliminate small scratches. Makes 'em all nice and shiny. I believe it's helped with some light pick scratches on my J-45 as well.

I amost never use any kind of polish anymore. Years ago I would use Pledge or any other furniture polish laying around. Not sure how smart THAT was....

Having said that, on the rare occasion I polish, I use the Gibson orange pump stuff. I've also used it as a buffing sauce when in the final stages of buffing something up. Works dandy on old violins as long as the buffing wheel doesn't grab it and fling it across the room.

Don't really use much polish either - just wipe 'em down with some cheese cloth or a cotton diaper. I have spent my life taking care of furnished historic house museums and that is how we clean wood and funishings there.

If you are going to use a slighly dampened cloth - use distilled water, much as us older guys remember our Moms putting in their steam irons.

Beautiful guitar!

I use the Gibson pump polish. It's excellent, and smells great! I use it with a microfiber polishing cloth. I usually use a squirt or two after I play, and wipe down the whole guitar. It seems to work well on both poly and nitro finishes. I've noticed that it keeps the tuning keys and the hardware on my electrics from tarnishing, as well.

I can't imagine the trace amount of laquer would build up on anything. My guess is that it's responsible for that pleasant smell.

Tell you the truth, I also use the Gibson pump polish on my furniture. I have some white oak, mission-style furniture and the Gibson polish gives it a nice soft glow, and seems to highlight the flame. It doesn't leave sticky residue or any build up, or feel oily like other types of spray and pump furniture polishes I've tried.

I use the microfiber cloths on the furniture, too. The ones I buy are sold in a pack of 24 or so at Costco. They are fairly thick (not at all like the ones sold for eyelasses or TV screens) and very soft. In my opinion, they are the best thing for cleaning and polishing virtually anything. They pick up dirt, absorb liquid, and don't scratch. You can use them like a chamy after washing your car for a streak free, mirror shine.

Red 333

That's a lovely thing you have there hoverp.

I don't polish too much (usually before a gig - which are infrequent at the moment) but when I do it's a non-silicon furniture polish. No build up you see? Mr Sheen or Sparkle in the UK. Works a treat but not too good as aftershave GS.

On the recommendation of several here I purchased some Virtuoso from Elderly.

When it eventually came and I had settled UK customs charges etc I found it to be a bit expensive to say the least compared with Mr Sheen and Sparkle.

BUT the cleaner shifted 30 years of sticky paw prints from the J45 like a dose of salts and the polish put a mirror on that old hog!

It also allowed me to do a stunning job on my L5 copy which was as black as the hole in Calcutta when I bought she!

Left the SWD alone and the dumb blonde doesn't do liquids!

In summary Virtuoso is expensive and hard work compared with Mr Sheen etc but for a twice a year, strings off, battery change etc well worth the time and additional expense.

Archived