Gibson Brands Forums

So I watched the Runaways...

Silenced Fred

It was a decent movie. I was a little annoyed that they focused so much on Joan and Cherry. They spent little time on Sandy West and just about ignored Lita Ford all together. Not bad but could have been better. I give it a C+

It was a decent movie. I was a little annoyed that they focused so much on Joan and Cherry. They spent little time on Sandy West and just about ignored Lita Ford all together. Not bad but could have been better. I give it a C+

Yeah... I was miffed to say the least.

And wtf was up with all of the "intimate" scenes with Dakota and Kristen? way too much time was spent on those two and weird stuff, and not enough on anyone or anything else

Well, "horses for courses," I suppose?

I think, Kristen and Dakota, actually, did a Great Job, in their respective roles.

And...So did Joan Jett, and Cherie Currie, for that matter. I think, maybe, the title

was a bit misleading, as it's more Joan and Cherie's story, within the somewhat shallow context

of "The Runaways." To do a proper "Runaways" movie, to give proper due respect and backstories,

to all the members, would take more of a "mini-series"...IMHO. For a "Hollywood" 2-hour movie,

it wasn't that bad. And, I thought the actresses did a Great job, singing, too. Dakota has a

smaller, higher pitched voice, than Cherie (at that age)...but she managed the "feeling" pretty

well, especially in "Cherry Bomb." Even Joan and Cherie said so. I too, have a copy of "Edgeplay,"

and while it's interesting, I think without Joan's participation, it too, leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway...this, as always, is all just "my" opinion.

CB

Yeah, I just don't get why Joan gets the spotlight, Lita was the lead guitarist.

Well, Joan wrote or co-wrote, all of their original songs. That's one reason.

She and Sandy, started the band, too. Lita is a "monster" player, no doubt,

but it was Joan's band, and since Cherie was the lead singer...it's one reason,

at least, they get more credit. They were all great, though...especially, for

their time. With ANY real management care, and support, they could have been

even better/bigger!

CB

Well, "horses for courses," I suppose?

I think, Kristen and Dakota, actually, did a Great Job, in their respective roles.

And...So did Joan Jett, and Cherie Currie, for that matter. I think, maybe, the title

was a bit misleading, as it's more Joan and Cherie's story, within the somewhat shallow context

of "The Runaways." To do a proper "Runaways" movie, to give proper due respect and backstories,

to all the members, would take more of a "mini-series"...IMHO. For a "Hollywood" 2-hour movie,

it wasn't that bad. And, I thought the actresses did a Great job, singing, too. Dakota has a

smaller, higher pitched voice, than Cherie (at that age)...but she managed the "feeling" pretty

well, especially in "Cherry Bomb." Even Joan and Cherie said so. I too, have a copy of "Edgeplay,"

and while it's interesting, I think without Joan's participation, it too, leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway...this, as always, is all just "my" opinion.

CB

The acting was ok, I just didn't like how the movie turned. I wanted more of the band story and not so much them two

the movie i believe was based on cheri's book. clearly, for both of these films, you can tell that lita and cheri did not really get along too well. :)

Joan of course is the superstar.

True, but only a small portion, of the book, is represented. It's an interesting read,

and Cherie had some harrowing experiences, in and after The Runaways. It's a minor miracle,

she survived. Pretty cool (and lucky) lady. And Joanie (as I like to call her)...she's always been

one of my favorites. Just Great old basic, kick-a$$, Rock & Roll!

CB

The movie was based on Neon Angels which was written by Cherie Currie. It was rewritten by Joan for a screen play and then the film was produced by Joan. It's no mystery why they are the focus of the film. But it would have been of more interest to me if they had cut and few mumbley shots of Joan singing in the bath tub and Cherie in the phone booth and added a bit more of Lita and Sandy.

For the record I though the girls did great jobs with the material they had to work with.

I've always loved their cover of The Velvet Underground's "Rock & Roll!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqCgEn-zG4A

"You Betcha!!" [thumbup]

And, Dakota's very nice rendition, of "Cherry Bomb," from the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6563c7br0&feature=related

Pretty awesome, for an actress that doesn't, normally, "Sing!" [thumbup]

Kristen does an excellent job, as Joan, too. In fact, Kristen has a rather nice singing voice.

She did all her live singing, and guitar playing, before, in a scene in Sean Penn's "Into The Wild."

CB

Yeah, it could have been a better movie had it taken another direction. Bass player Jackie Fox was omitted as she refused to let her name or character be a part of the movie. The Runaways first album isn't all that bad. It's got a cool raw Marshally sound to it.

the lesbian scenes could have been better.

...just sayin'...

:-k

LOL...actually, they couldn't! Because of Dakota's age! It was not

allowed, to be any more intense/explicit. They (Kristen & Dakota)

talked a bit, about that, in some of the press junkets, prior to,

and following, the release of the film. Besides, they way they did

it, was provacative enough...that "less is more" thing...it got your

mind/imagination going. Which, is where most "good sex" originates, anyway.

CB

LOL...actually, they couldn't! Because of Dakota's age! It was not

allowed, to be any more intense/explicit. They (Kristen & Dakota)

talked a bit, about that, in some of the press junkets, prior to,

and following, the release of the film. Besides, they way they did

it, was provacative enough...that "less is more" thing...it got your

mind/imagination going. Which, is where most "good sex" originates, anyway.

CB

Joan Jett should have just played herself. With enough magic makeup they got nowadays she could look like a teen easily.

plus, the woman does not age at all it seems...

and dakota fanning should have not been Cherie Currie. then there COULD have been better scenes. [thumbup]

Archived