Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone recomend an adhesive?

dponzi

I have a Gibson guitar case that's 38 years old, in excellent condition, except the tolex is starting to peel up a little around the top. Is there any specific glue or adhesive that I could use to glue it back down. I actually have a few cases that I need to do a little repair on like this. Thanks

Tolex on cases and cabinets is originally installed with what is known as "contact adhesive". It's more or less an industrial grade rubber cement. You coat both sides with the adhesive, let it dry, and then stick it together. This is also the same kind of adhesive used to glue down Formica, and other "laminates". It is available at the big box hardware stores.

Another similar adhesive is sold at auto parts stores as "weather strip adhesive". Pretty much the same stuff under a different name. Either one will do the job and are easy to work with.

There are also spray can adhesives such as 3M Super 77, which again is the same stuff in a spray can. Great for using to cover an entire speaker cabinet, a little hard to work with in small areas do to overspray, etc. If it's all you can find you could spray it unto a board, swipe some up on a cotton swab, and wipe it unto the small work area.

If it's black Tolex you are repairing it's usually a good idea to color the wood (or whatever) around the tear seem with a black Sharpie. That way when you glue the flap back down it will have a matching background and the exact replacement of the flap it not so important.

Tolex on cases and cabinets is originally installed with what is known as "contact adhesive". It's more or less an industrial grade rubber cement. You coat both sides with the adhesive, let it dry, and then stick it together. This is also the same kind of adhesive used to glue down Formica, and other "laminates". It is available at the big box hardware stores.

Another similar adhesive is sold at auto parts stores as "weather strip adhesive". Pretty much the same stuff under a different name. Either one will do the job and are easy to work with.

There are also spray can adhesives such as 3M Super 77, which again is the same stuff in a spray can. Great for using to cover an entire speaker cabinet, a little hard to work with in small areas do to overspray, etc. If it's all you can find you could spray it unto a board, swipe some up on a cotton swab, and wipe it unto the small work area.

If it's black Tolex you are repairing it's usually a good idea to color the wood (or whatever) around the tear seem with a black Sharpie. That way when you glue the flap back down it will have a matching background and the exact replacement of the flap it not so important.

Thanks Larry, I think I actually have some contact cement here at home from a laminate job I did a couple of years ago...that is if its still good. The tolex is peeling away from the seam around the top of the case lid, where the side of the lid overlaps the top. I hope I can get a little bit in there without making a huge mess. Thanks again.

Left over laminate job cement is ideal. Pay attention to the instructions. A moderate bond usually involves coating one part, then pressing it flat. A really tight bond involves coating both parts, allowing the cement to dry, then pressing flat. Make sure you get it flat the first try as a wrinkle will be permanent. This stuff holds like iron.

When I was making custom seating systems for disabled kids we had to get the tolex to stick to some pretty weird shapes as you may well imagine.We used to use 3M spray adhesive,it came in a black 14Oz. spray can with pinkish-purple lettering,it worked like a charm on even the most extreme bends in the tolex.

All good advice on the contact cement - Wish whoever had originally owned the cases on my early 63 hummingbird and for my 76 recording model would have asked somebody what to use. Instead both of these cases had some wear and tear that was repaired with duct tape and old stickers, the stickers look pretty cool actually but the 30+ year old grey duct tape I could live without. [confused]

Archived