Gibson Brands Forums

les paul custom mods on the way

mud guy

I ordered a set of p-94s for my les paul custom yesterday:

Black&GOLD.jpg

hopefully it will look something like this when I'm done:

LPCP94.jpg

I'm excited to try these out in the les paul. I'm interested to see how different it will sound from my prs soapbar.

will update once they are installed.

-Cal

• 1 month later...

Ok, an update...after a 2 month backorder delay from Gibson. The p-94s arrived yesterday and I couldn't help but put them in my black LP custom last night. I can't post pictures from work, but I will this evening. Looks awesome, but I was just getting her tuned up with new strings as the wife got home from the gym, so I haven't had a chance to give them a good try out yet.

-Cal

I was just getting her tuned up with new strings as the wife got home from the gym, so I haven't had a chance to give them a good try out yet.

Congrats and HNPD....

Looking forward to a report on how they sound...Of course, you could always put up a clip.

Seems the P90s and the P94s are getting harder to come by. Gibson seems to have them for their guitars but a lot of the music companies out there seem to have trouble getting them.

Seems a lot of Gibson pickups are out of stock even on their own website.

Willy

Thats a slick look. Can you guys explain to me why P-90's seem to be so highly regarded? Not that I don't feel that way, Ive never played through them before.

Seems like a lot of people on this board an MyLesPaul.com love them.

Can you guys explain to me why P-90's seem to be so highly regarded?

Same reason that people like 57s, PAFs or T-tops. They have their own unique sound.

The neck pickup tones usually sound quite rounded. The bridge alone or in combination with the neck can overdrive an amp and if used aggressively, create their own unique overdrive sound.

Not for everyone though as they come with a price. Used individually they are single coil and come with a 60 Hz buzz that many do not like.

Used as a set some come reverse wound for hum canceling....but not all.

Willy

Ok- here are some pics...

Before:

2010-10-29212754.jpg

and after:

2011-04-06202215.jpg

2011-04-06202152.jpg

I gave it a go this evening. I don't have any decent recording equipment to capture the sound well. First blush they seem to be a lot more dynamic and sensitive to pick attack. They guitar sounds much different than before, which is good because the LP sounded much like my Dot with the humbuckers. The sound is beefier than my other P-90 guitar (PRS soapbar), perhaps because there is more wood behind the LP. I think they look pretty good. Next maybe a nice gold bigsby (that will put the weight of the guitar over 20 lbs).

-cal

#

I gave it a go this evening. I don't have any decent recording equipment to capture the sound well. First blush they seem to be a lot more dynamic and sensitive to pick attack. They guitar sounds much different than before, which is good because the LP sounded much like my Dot with the humbuckers. The sound is beefier than my other P-90 guitar (PRS soapbar), perhaps because there is more wood behind the LP. I think they look pretty good. Next maybe a nice gold bigsby (that will put the weight of the guitar over 20 lbs).

-cal

Very nice, just researching this for a "Royale" possible upgrade

!BepHzIQB2k~$(KGrHqEH-CkErfKw(t+fBK-F-SHqw!~~_3.JPG

You would need a "B7" and also a v7 vibramate if you don't wonna drill the guitar! cost... $240 (Seller of both HERE I got my Fender Scratchplates from him so I know he's a good seller)

Goodluck [thumbup]

Thats a slick look. Can you guys explain to me why P-90's seem to be so highly regarded? Not that I don't feel that way, Ive never played through them before.

Seems like a lot of people on this board an MyLesPaul.com love them.

Thanks...I was intrigued by the p-94s because I liked my other p-90 guitar. A few guitarists whose sound I really like use p-94s, all Canadians, so maybe it's a Canadian thing, namely

Gordie Johnson (Grady, Big Sugar etc), who has his own signature SG:

Gordie-Johnson-1.jpg

John Angus MacDonald of the Trews:

http://youtu.be/FE3-iUA3Wtw

and PhilX of Fretted Americana, Drills, Powder, etc etc fame.

ESPblk.jpg

Thanks...I was intrigued by the p-94s because I liked my other p-90 guitar. A few guitarists whose sound I really like use p-94s, all Canadians, so maybe it's a Canadian thing,

Terrific upgrade option Cal, and it looks so classy, I only recently got my first P-90 guitar, what a revelation, absolutely love them, I have another, a 345 copy that I've loaded a Kent Armstrong neck P-90 on, it should be back together in a week or so.

Sonically yours would be a dream too I imagine, great stuff Cal.

Terrific upgrade option Cal, and it looks so classy, I only recently got my first P-90 guitar, what a revelation, absolutely love them, I have another, a 345 copy that I've loaded a Kent Armstrong neck P-90 on, it should be back together in a week or so.

Sonically yours would be a dream too I imagine, great stuff Cal.

Thanks RaSTuS...I've got this strange P-90 addiction. It's like a rare strain of GAS. When I picked up the pickups, the local store had a special run of Korina epiphones on display, including a korina p-90 les paul special and I almost walked out the door with it plus the pickups...still thinking about it.

-Cal

My son and I modded his White LP Custom with a gold/Black p94 in the neck and a Gold 498T in the bridge.

All new CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and 3-way, Sprague Orange drops and Kluson Vintage Tuners.

HUGE sound and tone. The mix of p90 and HB is amazing! [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

• 1 month later...

Before:

2010-10-29212754.jpg

and after:

2011-04-06202215.jpg

2011-04-06202152.jpg

-cal that looks great, reminds me of a LP Goddess, must be the see through bobbins on the Gibson that look similar at first glance.

Archived