Gibson Brands Forums

Latest performance pic....

larryp58

Great pic!! [thumbup]

Larry, why do the mic stands have numbers on them? Is it so that the guy at the mixer knows which are which? Does he have bad eyesight? [flapper]

That's exactly right, Karen! The sound guy and mixer are quite a bit away from the stage at that place. I would think it is a little distracting for the audience there. Still a great crowd to play for there. There's usually around 100-150 folks on a Friday night.

That's exactly right, Karen! The sound guy and mixer are quite a bit away from the stage at that place. I would think it is a little distracting for the audience there. Still a great crowd to play for there. There's usually around 100-150 folks on a Friday night.

Non-musical audience types would probably think the numbers are designating how important the band members are. That makes the mandolin guy top dog in their eyes [tongue] Be glad you're not the really tall guitar player! [laugh]

Colored bands around the mics would be a lot more subtle, but the numbers should help avoid some of the set up time if there are bands moving on and off through the evening. Mics don't stay where you put them as bands change over, so it's easy to get them mixed up.

Nice one Larry, i think it would be a lot of fun to play with such a large ensemble.

That's what so fun playin' in a bluegrass band! The different instruments each bring their uniqueness to a song. Each one takes a "break" (or lead part) in a song. But when combined, it's a whole new sound! I have never had more fun playin' music in all my years than I have had playin' in a bluegrass band. Pure acoustic heaven! If you ever have a chance to set in and play with a group of bluegrass pickers, you'll be hooked! Plus, it's the only genre of music that hasn't been infected with money and production by major recording labels.

Hey Larry and hep for the newspaper acticle on the band. It's now or never : Can you tell me the origin of the term bluegrass. Was it something about playing under the moon or. . . .

What's up, E! To tell ya the truth, I don't know! I'm guessing that's it's called "bluegrass" music because of it's origins in Kentucky, the "bluegrass state"? But to be certain, I can't answer that! I do know that I've had the best time playin' this genre of music. From a player's perspective, the various instruments and all acoustic nature of the music, it's so much fun! Lively, upbeat (sometimes smokin' hot!), and then sometimes soft and gentle. Once you've sat in with a group and played with them, you'll be hooked too! If you ever get the chance, go for it! Maybe someone will chime in and give us a history lesson on the origins of "this hill-billy music"!!!

Bluegrass music was 'invented' by Bill Monroe and his band "The Bluegrass Boys". They derived their name from the state from whence they came, Kentucky, a.k.a. the Bluegrass state, named for the lawn and pasture grass called bluegrass. Or probably more correctly blue grass. Compared to other lawn an pasture grasses it does have a bit of a bluer hue to it. The highly alkaline soils in Kentucky also impart a blueish look to it.

Nobody said, "Let's call this style Bluegrass." I'm not even sure Monroe set out to create a new genre. The style began to be recognized as something different and calling it Bluegrass music just sort of evolved.

Bluegrass music was 'invented' by Bill Monroe and his band "The Bluegrass Boys". They derived their name from the state from whence they came, Kentucky, a.k.a. the Bluegrass state, named for the lawn and pasture grass called bluegrass. Or probably more correctly blue grass. Compared to other lawn an pasture grasses it does have a bit of a bluer hue to it. The highly alkaline soils in Kentucky also impart a blueish look to it.

Nobody said, "Let's call this style Bluegrass." I'm not even sure Monroe set out to create a new genre. The style began to be recognized as something different and calling it Bluegrass music just sort of evolved.

A fine thing to know, thank you. Kentucky, , , don't they have a blue moon as well. . .

Archived