Gibson Brands Forums

So now we can't complain?

Andy R

So now I get a -1 and another locked post for voicing my complaints. I said I understood why but it would be nice to allow someone the opportunity to fix, change, or at least explain themselves.... Whatever! I think everyone on here knows where to find info about building a clone.... My intent was to show it is not worth the cost and time of doing it..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy,

let me talk you down off the ledge your teetering on.

It's really a simple matter.

Gibson doesn't want a build your own Gibson thread on their websight.

We've had tons of posts in the forum about "counterfeit" Gibsons.

We know you'd do a great job of building a guitar that is similar to a Gibson Black Beauty.

They just don't want to deal with it I'm sure.

I'm of the opinion that it should stay. I don't run the show though.

My suggestion would be to build it. Take lots of photographs of the process and build.

Document your thoughts and put them on another sight for us all to see.

I for one would be inclined to check in on your progress often. Maybe Thundergod could invite you to the GAS group on the MLP forum. That way we could see what you've done.

Good luck. Don't check out because of a minor bump in the road. There's ways around this. You strike me as a guy who would say, "Damn them. I'm going forward with my plans anyway."

Its the man, man!

They're trying to shut you down, just remember that you can stop the man by keep on going on. They can try and stop you but you can fight back in other ways, man.

Keep up the good fight, and there are plenty of other ways to share this. Go to MLP, sign up and we will all put in a good word with Thunder.

Stick it to the man!

Andy,

let me talk you down off the ledge your teetering on.

It's really a simple matter.

Gibson doesn't want a build your own Gibson thread on their websight.

We've had tons of posts in the forum about "counterfeit" Gibsons.

We know you'd do a great job of building a guitar that is similar to a Gibson Black Beauty.

They just don't want to deal with it I'm sure.

I'm of the opinion that it should stay. I don't run the show though.

My suggestion would be to build it. Take lots of photographs of the process and build.

Document your thoughts and put them on another sight for us all to see.

I for one would be inclined to check in on your progress often. Maybe Thundergod could invite you to the GAS group on the MLP forum. That way we could see what you've done.

Good luck. Don't check out because of a minor bump in the road. There's ways around this. You strike me as a guy who would say, "Damn them. I'm going forward with my plans anyway."

Thanks Californiaman,

I completely understand the point and reason why they decided not to let that slide on the forum and that is fine with me no biggie at all. What Pis$ed me off is them providing an answer and then locking the thread I posted about it and then when I posted a thread about that I get a -1 and another locked post. msp_cursing.gif And by the way yes I plan on moving forward with my plans ( off forum) or on another forum probably without the benefit of adding why it's not worth the cost of doing...

Andy

Andy,

I'm sure the Gibby CS Team understands your intentions are good [thumbup] .... However, they must protect their brand, and any intellectual properties that are associated with their designs and build features.

We fight this battle everyday at Snap-on where we too protect our brand tooth and nail, right down to the use of our Snap-on logo.

Andy,

I'm sure the Gibby CS Team understands your intentions are good [thumbup] .... However, they must protect their brand, and any intellectual properties that are associated with their designs and build features.

We fight this battle everyday at Snap-on where we too protect our brand tooth and nail, right down to the use of our Snap-on logo.

Again, That's not what aggravated me it was the lock ( twice ) and -1 after I questioned the act.... Whatever... I have no more time or energy to waste on the subject.... I have my eye on another studio that might become a black betty since that doesn't seem to be an issue...

I locked one of them Andy.... Sorry if that bothered you a bit, but I felt there was no reason to call CS out publicly in that manner. IMO you could have contacted them privately to discuss the matter.

That's cool Duane. I'm over the whole thing. As I said I am only on here for fun and if it stops being fun I will no longer be on here. This is just a bump in the road.

Don't get all het up about the pluses and minuses. They just seem to be there to create one more way to 'flame' someone.

Read Customer Service. It was "Legal's" call. i.e. the lawyers got involved. and we all know when lawyers get involved no good can come of it.

peace out.

[thumbup]

Don't get all het up about the pluses and minuses. They just seem to be there to create one more way to 'flame' someone. The ratings seem to serve no useful purpose other than for someone to agonize over it.

Read Customer Service. It was "Legal's" call. i.e. the lawyers got involved. and we all know when lawyers get involved no good can come of it.

It would be nice, or courteous, however, if a thread needs to be moved a note of explanation to the original poster would be nice as in, "We like you but your thread was....... so we moved it to Duane's attic." Surely if there was time to schedule a conference room to discuss the matter with the Legal Department there is time to draft a courteous PM to the original poster.

peace out.

[thumbup]

I second what Caliman said. None of us have an issue with your builds (hey I love browsing through it! It's fascinating). But it is the Gibson forums, and I can understand the lock. I think we all just need to breathe and let it go, though I do believe the complaint should have been handled in a more open manner.

You're a good guy Andy and feel free to send me some pics of the progress via PM!

Trademark protection is an absolute must.

If the holder doesn't try, they lose their legal status.

There might be a little room for innovation and tribute, however.

Given my recent past experience, I might like something that is sorta like a good Gibson guitar that doesn't need repair or replacement...

But what the heck.

That might be part of the brand, too.

Besides, Andy, if you create your own work, why not create your own headstock stile proclaiming to the world that Andy R made this? Why give Gibson the credit?... credit they do not want.

Trademark protection is an absolute must.

If the holder doesn't try, they lose their legal status.

There might be a little room for innovation and tribute, however.

Given my recent past experience, I might like something that is sorta like a good Gibson guitar that doesn't need repair or replacement...

But what the heck.

That might be part of the brand, too.

You know, somebody posted a guitar recently that looked a lot like a Gibson. It was a beautiful sunburst with a quilted top, humbuckers. I seem to remember the headstock was different though.

BMX, BMR, B-something. I think he even gave it a girls name. [tongue]

You know, somebody posted a guitar recently that looked a lot like a Gibson. It was a beautiful sunburst with a quilted top, humbuckers. I seem to remember the headstock was different though.

Go figure.

Now this is kid school stuff right there, using one of my threads to make a case that has nothing to do with this situation. [thumbdn]

Now this is kid school stuff right there, using one of my threads to make a case that has nothing to do with this situation. [thumbdn]

Only kidding Duane.

Your guitar looks amazing.

And yes it doesn't have anything to do with this situation.

Do you want me to delete it?

No problem.

Wait... I went to delete it and noticed someone gave me a plus.

What ever. We're all a little sensitive today.

Andy:

What it comes down to is your not Slash or many other who boast their Non-Gibson Les Pauls and some even get a Signature Model of their well known counterfeits. Now if you change your name its all good. Its all about who you are and who you know. This company is very political and it doesn't matter who is right or wrong its their trademark and they select who can copy them.

Ummmm Never claimed to be slash.... Although there is some irony in that whole deal... Actually if the original post were still up you would have seen that it was already moving away from an exact copy to something different including the Logo it was going to have a "Betty" Logo with Betty page on the headstock. Given that I was also planning on changing the shape of the headstock and would have inevitably made other changes along the way It would have digressed away from being a clone.

Kind of ironic too that the actual innovator of the Les Paul wasn't a Gibson employee and used a gibson neck on his design. from what I understand there wasn't much interest in what he had to offer until another companie's solid bodies started taking off which I believe one model had a single cut away and the other had a double... So again no innovation there. Then when someone decided to "innovate" the Les Paul, Les Paul himself didn't like it.....

Just saying...

Archived