Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Highway Stratocaster

sparky scott 29

smiley-shocked015.gifI'm going off topic here...hijacked.gif

I just bought a Fender Highyway 1 U.S.A. made guitar, with that new funky nitro finish..

It's like a Matte' finish.. Dull if you will...

The question is, do you think that if I were to put some rubbing compound, or something similar, do you think it would hurt the finish, or shine it??

It isn't a new guitar, a buddy needed some cash, so I was just wondering what y'all thought...

I really don't want to hurt it, as it plays very well.....smiley-shocked015.gif

Is it the WLS polyurethane satin finish? If so I have that on my Zebracaster. Best feeling finish ever. You can use the standard Fender supplied polish lightly and rub it in if you want. The CS guy told me to wait because the finish is very durable.

I used a rubbing compound on my melody maker with a similar finish. I hand-buffed the guitar to a high gloss and it instantly made the guitar look 100x better! The highway one will shine up even more because it has a much higher quality finish, and it's finish is nice and level already, unlike the faded model Gibsons which have the finish sinking in to the wood grain from lack of sealer. :)

I've had several Hwy. One Basses. If you use a Fender polishing cloth enough, it will start to get a shine in the areas wiped. It doesn't take that long either. I didn't care for it starting to ware as fast as they did. I was wiping the area my arm rested on as picking the strings. The nitro finish on the Fender Hwy. One is very thin. A Fender rep advised me not to apply any polishes to the finish, as it will begin to remove the finish itself.

Archived