Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson HB in tele

ClassicRocker23

It looks like most modern USA and MIM Telecasters are already routed for Humbuckers. You will need a pick-gaurd, though. Keep in mind that Gibson still held the patent on Humbucking pickups when Richards perfomed this mod, so options were limited to Gibson PAFs. Today, there are more than a dozen PAF inspired pickups on the market from producers like Seymour Duncan, Gibson, Di'Marzio, and many others. Start with the magnets and output levels that you want and go from there.

Thanks very much. I've heard that the pole spacing on some HBs is offset with the strings on teles... Does anyone know anything about this?

I don't think so. The only pole spacing oddities I am aware are f-spacing for Floyd Rose equipped guitars. If you want to go full on Fender you could fish up one of the Fender Wide Range Humbuckers made by Seth Lover. That's what they put in the Tele Deluxes and Lee Ranaldo puts in his Jazzblasters (Jazzmaster with humbuckers).

I don't think so. The only pole spacing oddities I am aware are f-spacing for Floyd Rose equipped guitars. If you want to go full on Fender you could fish up one of the Fender Wide Range Humbuckers made by Seth Lover. That's what they put in the Tele Deluxes and Lee Ranaldo puts in his Jazzblasters (Jazzmaster with humbuckers).

+1

If you want a humbucker, try one of the Wide Ranges. Those are sweeeeeeeeet [thumbup]

If you want a Tele with a Humbucker, check out the Telecaster Special. Fender made them in the 90's in Mexico. I have one, and I love it. They have a 5 way switch for coil spitting, which is very cool, and sometimes one can find them pretty cheap.

Here's a link with some info:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/146419-telecaster-special-owners-club.html

+1

If you want a humbucker, try one of the Wide Ranges. Those are sweeeeeeeeet [thumbup]

word. Having played a few Tele Deluxe from the seventies, I can vouch for that. And, man, those suckers are Les Paul heavy.

word. Having played a few Tele Deluxe from the seventies, I can vouch for that. And, man, those suckers are Les Paul heavy.

I'm gonna look for a used MIM tele and throw a wide range in the neck for those sonic explosions

There is a sweet MIJ Custom Telecaster on the CL for 600 bones. If I had the cash that baby would mine

The MIM Fender Wide Range pickup has absolutely nothing in common with the old Seth Lover designed Fender humbuckers from the 70's that were in the Tele Custom and Tele Deluxe. Totally different sound.

There are some guys that have gotten by with a Gibson pickup in a Tele though.

AlbertCollins-01-big.jpg

The MIM Fender Wide Range pickup has absolutely nothing in common with the old Seth Lover designed Fender humbuckers from the 70's that were in the Tele Custom and Tele Deluxe. Totally different sound.

Right. This is why I specified Fender Wide Range Humbuckers made by Seth Lover. My guess is you can still find them. They have the stepped poll pieces.

452bc86c12d531d220c1a4e_m.jpg

Jason makes fantastic pickups but his wide range humbucker has the same problem that everyone elses has. The magnets are wrong. The Seth Lover Wide Range pickup is the only pickup I know of that ever used Cunife Magnets. The threaded poles you see are not just pile screws. They actually are the magnets. This is part of the reason the this humbucker gets such a bright tone.

If you really want that vintage Tele Deluxe or Custom sound you'll need to find a vintage pickup.

Jason makes fantastic pickups but his wide range humbucker has the same problem that everyone elses has. The magnets are wrong. The Seth Lover Wide Range pickup is the only pickup I know of that ever used Cunife Magnets. The threaded poles you see are not just pile screws. They actually are the magnets. This is part of the reason the this humbucker gets such a bright tone.

If you really want that vintage Tele Deluxe or Custom sound you'll need to find a vintage pickup.

[sad]

Archived