Gibson Brands Forums

new guitar

copperhead

I've been struggling with a decision for a week now on what new guitar to buy. I want to buy one more before I retire. I have looked and compared LP's Epi and Gibson. I want to upgrade I've looked at the Gibson Studio Flame Burst nitro finish, to a top end Epi. just cant make up my mind! Some of the reviews I've read about the Gibson Studio weren't that great. Do any of you own any of the top end Epiphones, I dont want anything to do with the fx type's or the prophecy series. Or just upgrade my old standard w/ pups and pots.

Thats a hard question for me to answer-------I have modded all of my guitars and being a new owner of an epi LP standard plain top honeyburst, I yanked out the pickups and pots and replaced everything with Dimarzio and my other guitar player who owns a gibby LP custom and a studio finds no comparison between mine and his.

In the words of the band TRIUMPH -- follow your heart

upgrade the old one with the pups you like on the ones you have tried. if you like the playability of the old one, an upgrade of electrionics and pups maybe all you need. now, if that does not do the total trick. then buy one. :rolleyes:

I gave up on the Epi Les Pauls. The quality on the Epi LPs was very disappointing. I didn't look at the real Gibsons since I couldn't even afford the Studio versions. If you want a high quality single cut, LP style guitar at a reasonable price take a look at the PRS SingleCut SEs. Very LP - except the name. Great Guitars at any price. I think the PRS SingleCut may be the best bargin in the guitar market today. The colors of the PRS SE guitars leave a little to be desired, but if you play one I think you'll love it. If they ever make one in a color I like I'm going to snag one.

Good Luck

Okay...

I'm older than dirt, so... Yeah, "follow your heart" is good advice.

Heck, if you've got time, start hanging in guitar stores. Play different stuff.

Don't rush. Odd thing is that at some point, some how, you may find a guitar of a type that you may not even have considered that just plays itself with you.

That, not, "should i buy this kind or that," is to me the criterion.

Besides, if you live where there are guitar stores... hang out. Have lunch out. Get fresh air. BS with people in music stores and get miffed at the 10-year-olds treating display guitars poorly. Flirt with the mommies getting guitars for their kids, especially if you've a wife along with you and you're old enough to be the mommy's daddy so she doesn't feel like you're hitting on her.

Feel alive, be alive 'stedda old and "ready." I think then the guitar will find you.

m

Okay...

Don't rush. Odd thing is that at some point, some how, you may find a guitar of a type that you may not even have considered that just plays itself with you.

Besides, if you live where there are guitar stores... hang out. Have lunch out. Get fresh air. BS with people in music stores and get miffed at the 10-year-olds treating display guitars poorly. Flirt with the mommies getting guitars for their kids, especially if you've a wife along with you and you're old enough to be the mommy's daddy so she doesn't feel like you're hitting on her.

Feel alive, be alive 'stedda old and "ready." I think then the guitar will find you.

m

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll be spending some time hanging out in a guitar store. I'll find what I want.

Okay...

m

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll be spending some time hanging out in a guitar store. I'll find what I want.

No hate mail, please, BUT . . .

Maybe you should take a look at Agile solidbodies. You can find them at Rondomusic. I can't imagine you'll be able to find better bang for your buck. I own two of their Les Paul knock-offs--a standard Les Paul and a Goldtop with P-90s. You'll find that they have a fanatical following on the Internet. Plus, they have every kind of finish known. At their price, you really should have a look. You can get a really nice guitar for $450-$500.

I've also heard great things about another Korean company, Prestige.

Keep us informed!

I agree with milod.

I'm older than dirt myself, I played dozens of LP's n SG's n 335's. studios, customs, But you know after all that

I went to a Sam Ash, I hadn't been in, in a long time n played another dozen LP's n the Epi Standard,plain top in vintage sunburst, came home with me that day. I switched out the pups to reissued PAF's n put a switchcraft selector switch in it. Its a better guitar than my 1980 Gibson standard. So yeah, go with your heart.

I'd have to agree with the others, if you like the way your "Paul" plays, do some upgrades, and if you still feel the need for a new axe (and we ALL do!), keep your cash in hand and be patient and you'll run across a good deal if you keep an eye out!

I'd have to agree with the others, if you like the way your "Paul" plays, do some upgrades, and if you still feel the need for a new axe (and we ALL do!), keep your cash in hand and be patient and you'll run across a good deal if you keep an eye out!

I'd like to reinforce what the "other old guys" are saying, and add my own remarks.

I've got a "High End" Epi, if that term can be used correctly. It's an Ultra 2, and it is a fantastic guitar. I didn't order it online however. I went to the store and played a dozen different guitars. This one "played me". The neck is thin, fast, and wonderful.

The electronics in it are very nice. I can play this thing through 2 different amps at once, and have it sound like 2 different guitars.

It's been said that finding a guitar is similar to finding a girlfriend.

You are first attracted by the looks.

When you get your hands on it and it feels good, plug it in.

If it makes a beautiful sound, take it home. [biggrin]

• 1 month later...

Okay...

m

I like this guy and I cant even play a guitar, sure love hanging out at guitar stores though, too old to learn and not confident enough to try. My son plays and thats great by me, I just try to nudge him along so he doesnt sit on his hands like me.

atj13

Don't say you're too old to learn to play guitar.

Even if you don't have any hands except storebought, you can.

Like anything else, it's just not necessarily easy and requires some consistent "practice."

Me, I'd recommend just getting some simple folk song books and an acoustic-electric and start strumming for fun. Find a book that shows how to make the chords.

A friend of mine started Aikido around 70. Last I heard he was at roughly black belt level.

m

I've been struggling with a decision for a week now on what new guitar to buy. I want to buy one more before I retire. I have looked and compared LP's Epi and Gibson. I want to upgrade I've looked at the Gibson Studio Flame Burst nitro finish, to a top end Epi. just cant make up my mind! Some of the reviews I've read about the Gibson Studio weren't that great. Do any of you own any of the top end Epiphones, I dont want anything to do with the fx type's or the prophecy series. Or just upgrade my old standard w/ pups and pots.

At the risk of sounding vulgar...there is only one thing you can do! Play every guitar you can get your hands on until you find one that gives your music muscle a boner.

Archived