Gibson Brands Forums

Wilco

Rocky4

Good call. Wilco is great. Not too much a fan of their pre Yankee Hotel Foxtrot stuff, but everything after it is pure 70s AM radio gold. Their best elements are Nels Cline on lead guitar and Glenn Kotche on drums. If you get a chance to see them live, do it. The musicianship is off the charts.

I had just watched their (older) documentary "I'm Trying To Break Your Heart," this weekend,

on "Netflix" (Instant View). Interesting...and an ironic commentary on the "Music Business,"

too.

CB

I just watched that yesterday and was just about to post that! I really liked it, and it is really cool what happened. Jeff Tweedy is the best.

Like Evol said, when I think of a lead guitarist, I think of Nels Cline. After listening to him, he doesn't detract anything from the band, doesn't change it, but makes the songs just amazing.

Tweedy has some great guitars too

A friend of mine gave me a couple of Billy Bragg discs on the weekend (Mermaid Avenue I & II) - but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. It says Billy Bragg and Wilco - could it be the same bad?

It is the same wilco, but with the original line up (no cline or kotche)

A friend of mine gave me a couple of Billy Bragg discs on the weekend (Mermaid Avenue I & II) - but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. It says Billy Bragg and Wilco - could it be the same bad?

It is the same wilco, but with the original line up (no cline or kotche)

+1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of my favorite albums!

Then you should watch that documentary, we were discussing previously

("I'm Trying To Break Your Heart"), IF you haven't, already? It's about

the making of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot," and what they had to go through,

to get it released!

CB

to get it released!

CB

Another great Wilco related item is Greg Kot's book Learning How to Die. One of the best rock bios I have read.

to get it released!

CB

Yep, i've got the DVD. It's one of my fav's too!!!

One of my favorite bands making music today. Really intelligent music, and Nels Cline is one of my favorite guitar players. Some people have said they are "the American version of Radiohead," but I like them much more than Radiohead.

On all of the videos on youtube, there are always arguments comparing them and Radiohead. I don't really see it myself, Wilco is a lot more "folk" oriented. If I haven't said it before, I adore Cline's playing, and Tweedy is awesome. His lyrics and guitar playing are awesome. And his guitar collection is awesome! Pelham Blue SGs.... mmmmm

On all of the videos on youtube, there are always arguments comparing them and Radiohead. I don't really see it myself, Wilco is a lot more "folk" oriented. If I haven't said it before, I adore Cline's playing, and Tweedy is awesome. His lyrics and guitar playing are awesome. And his guitar collection is awesome! Pelham Blue SGs.... mmmmm

I think the only comparison you can really make is that they both gather a lot of critical acclaim; musically, I agree they are very different. And, in my opinion, much better.

All the guys are pretty damn humble too, based on their interviews, concerts of them I have seen, etc. I met the two Wilco dudes who make up the side project Autumn Defense and they were really laid-back, nice guys.

Archived