Gibson Brands Forums

Can You bargain with Guitar Center's Used Gear?

MrAwesome

Okay so there is a used Workstation keyboard I really want, the workstation keyboard is a 76-key and they listed it for $1,499.99. I have the same exact keyboard same brand same everything in mint condition, but it is a 88-key and the cost of it was more, and has more extra keys. Before I go to the store is it possible to bargain for that 76-keyboard, so that if I give them my 88-keyboard the difference will be the same and I dont need to pay any additional charges? you see they need to put a price tag on it and give me less credit since they need to make a profit off it, I might get $1000-1300 $1400, if im lucky... thats why I want to Bargain to reduce that price $1500.00 around 1400-1300 on the 76-key and then sneak in a 10% off your purchase coupon after that

P.S

The reason why I want the 76-key for my 88-key is so I can carry that 76-key around, and its way lighter for gigs

Sure you can haggle with them, I was able to talk them down a few hundred on my SG. It's going to depend on what sales rep you get, how good you are at haggling, and what kind of buying power you have (in this case your 88). The most they can do is reject your terms, they may not meet you all the way so be prepared for that at least.

You can bargain with them but my experience is that they want to make a profit on both ends of the deal.

Of course, it's a business. Even with what the OP is wanting to do they would come out ahead on both ends.

Personally yes I think it is fair, I'm not sure the coupon will be very handy if they agree to a straight up trade. Your best bet if they don't bite for that is to sell them your 88 and ask for at least 1350 so your 10% coupon could apply to the 76 and you would only have to pay taxes.

A few things to remember; Guitar center "used" prices are usually full retail. By full retail that means not the average used price as would be attached to a private sale but a used price attached for a "retail" price from a store. This price is ALWAYS negotiable.

Also, they have (bad) training in sales tactics and things they are trained to say and do. One of these is to attempt to both make a profit on the gear they are selling AND make a profit on the gear they are taking in. In other words, they will try to justify taking your piece in at low wholesale while at the same time selling you a piece at full retail.

You may get a good saleman who knows his stuff, or a saleman that only knows "Guitar Center" training. You might get an honest or a dishonest salesman. But personally, I would not let that have anything to do with MY decision on what I wanted to get as far as a purchase or a sale.

I think the best thing to do is know the REAL value (average private party used value) of what you want to sell, what you want to buy, and make your decision based on that. If you are being realistic, then you also have a figure in your head as to what that convinience of trading with a store is worth to you. (The store DOES deserve a profit). Then at that point it is simply a matter of presenting it to them and possibly negotiating with them based on that.

Building on what Stein says, at the end of it all remember you can just walk away if you don't like the terms. Also remember that you're probably going to end up with the better deal if you're nice to the salesman and don't get rude if at the start the deal seems too much of a loss on your part. Simply state that if their first offer doesn't work for you that maybe you could find something that works for you both a little better. I'd much rather walk away still owning the 88 than being unhappy with how a trade turned out if you get a salesman who won't budge.

Man I really tried to get the GC of Hollywood to sell me a 72 Gibby Les Paul Deluxe goldtop, but they would not budge... I walked in with $4800 cash, and they just turned up their noses at it [sad]

But in the end I'm sorta glad it didn't happen because I used that money to get my new amp and cab [thumbup]

Building on what Stein says, at the end of it all remember you can just walk away if you don't like the terms. Also remember that you're probably going to end up with the better deal if you're nice to the salesman and don't get rude if at the start the deal seems too much of a loss on your part. Simply state that if their first offer doesn't work for you that maybe you could find something that works for you both a little better. I'd much rather walk away still owning the 88 than being unhappy with how a trade turned out if you get a salesman who won't budge.

But I wouldent be happy carrying this huge 88-keyboard back to my house which weighs like 100 pounds [biggrin]

But I wouldent be happy carrying this huge 88-keyboard back to my house which weighs like 100 pounds [biggrin]

Just a thought;

What if you took the money you were going to spend on the trade and bought a really nice case with wheels? Then you have the better keybaord that is easier to move than when you started.

Everyone wins here.

All the chain stores will TRY and beat you on the price value of your stuff.Your better off trying to sell it privetly.

and than go haggle on the price to buy it, cash. Also your haggle power comes from your buying habits. Buy a few guitars and other stuff from 1 store where they know you. you'll always get bigger discounts. It helps if they know you as someone how buys from them.

Archived