Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Limited Edition LP Custom- colors

Stewie

I am looking at a 2000 Epi LP Custom. It has a color I have never seen before. It is similar to a Vintage mahogany with no bursts. It has a orangy opaque finish and looks to be a mahogany top, rather than maple.

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the color and if it was a special run. Any help is appreciated

I am looking at a 2000 Epi LP Custom. It has a color I have never seen before. It is similar to a Vintage mahogany with no bursts. It has a orangy opaque finish and looks to be a mahogany top, rather than maple.

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the color and if it was a special run. Any help is appreciated

Kind of sounds like zakks one but modded

zakL.JPG

do you have any pics?

I knew I would give the wrong impression when I said orange. It has a lighter stain that you can see the grain.

it is more like a honey without the burst, if that makes any sense.

Can you get pictures ?

Ok here it is. The lighting is not that good, and these ae not my pictures. The more I look at it I see a redish tint, but the owner described it as "orangish".

It is almost 11 years old so it might have faded.

Solidsnake: Thanks for trying. I guess there were a lot of "Limited Editions" to choose from.

lpcustom.jpg

That looks like a Les Paul Custom in Wine Red.

Look at the binding on the body and the hardware does appear to be gold.

The reason I say it's a custom is simply that the Studio Deluxe (which has gold hardware) does not have bindng.

So that guitar should look like this:

epiphone-les-paul-custom.jpg

But like bigneil mentioned, with a picture of the headstock we would know a little more.

The lack of flame and burst leads me to think it is a LPC in vintage mahogany. Wine red is usually on a flametop and this one looks too brown to be wine red, too my eyes anyway. Epi tops don't fade that way.

Z

I tend to agree with Zeplin on the color. I know it is not a custom in wine red because I already own an Elitist Custom in Wine red. The guitar is a Custom I already knew that as I stated in the title. I guess it was a little ambiguous, that is why I put the dash in. LP Custom - colors.

I have another brand guitar that has that same color with a slight burst to it and they are calling it vintage mahogany burst. I had never seen a Custom with that color.

Thanks for all the help.

This is my Wine red Custom.

winered2.jpg

That is one gorgeous LP Custom, Stewie.

Ok, I can say that I have seen LPs (not necessarily Epis or Gibsons) with a sort of transparent top that were very much like a Wine Red but you could see the top, similar to the one you are looking at.

However, it may indeed be different, but can be a limited edition made for a particular seller like GC.

The more pictures you have, headstock (front/back), cavities, etc, may be of help for some of our members to find out what it may be.

Found something.

One very much similar to the one you are posting although it is a sort of transparent wine red.

I was almost sure that I had seen one like this before.

Epi LP Custom wine red

You'll notice that the top is transparent and that you can see the wood under the finish.

So the one you are looking at could be one of these.

Found something.

One very much similar to the one you are posting although it is a sort of transparent wine red.

I was almost sure that I had seen one like this before.

Epi LP Custom wine red

You'll notice that the top is transparent and that you can see the wood under the finish.

So the one you are looking at could be one of these.

I ended up buying the guitar. I got it for a steal. It is not wine red, and is a much more brownish red. I will get some good pictures in natural light. It is a special edition and I am really pleased with it.

The Wine Red Epi Elitist Custom I have is a beautiful guitar. It was made in Japan and comes with USA Pickups.

It is one of the nicest LPs I own, including the Gibsons. Epiphone has since cancelled the run from Japan, but I think they still make a couple of Epis at Fujigen plant where mine was made. The Korean Epi is petty damn nice compared to it. For 350 dollars it was a steal. No case but I have many cases.

Thanks for the help.

Well some natural light pictures.

P3300245.jpg

P3300242.jpg

P3300243.jpg

Archived