Gibson Brands Forums

country, rockabilly, surf sound for under $1000

tartanbeastie

I never heard a headstock change that much tone or affect playability. <grin>

Yeah, I don't care for it either. <bigger grin>

m

lol.. yup it wouldnt hurt the tone but if i dont like the look of something it puts me of playing it..lol

Tartan...

Actually - and I blush and hate to admit it - that metal jobbie on the headstock turned me off on some Epis I should have tried out 40 years ago.

That's why, I think, I've gotten to the point where I don't care so much about what a guitar looks like as much as what it plays like - and then tone... and looks are way down at the bottom of the list unless there's something really "dumb" about the looks.

Heck, I've got a fiddle with a skull and crossbones on the back. It was a gift, and I'll never consider "cleaning" that stuff off.

m

Well, I'm the odd man out, here, I guess, because I kind of like

that "badge" on the headstock of the Kat's. Seems appropriate

to the '50's vibe. Maybe, it's just because I'm "used to" it?

And, since it harkens back to an earlier time, for Epi's, and not

just some "weird idea," I've accepted it, more easily. Who knows?

CB

I just noticed one of those Epi "cats" with a Bigsby and P90s at Sweetwater for $399.

m

Don't do that to me Milod..........I've got GAS again....................................ah man...........

I can't get any more guitars until I win this next law suit........Oh, just found one new for 349.00.......

I am gonna go with Milod here, use what your comfortable with.

I use a LP JR and a fender half stack and can cover ground from Johnny Burnette,

to Stray Cats, to full bore Psychobilly.

of course if you were to go outta pocket it would be a little more than 1.5k

I remember stepping away from a practice session in an concrete floor, concrete block meeting hall and could just barely tell when I strummed a chord 'cuz of the reverb and the natural echoes in the place. <grin>

m

Except that reverb gets overused.

I keep mine dialed back just enough to "wet" the signal with a touch of what I call "bounce back"

giving it almost a C&W reverb tone.

and I run the tone knob dimed so I don't loose my high end.

Guest FarnsBarns

Too much reverb? NEVER.

lol

Agreed ; ) I don't know why marshal wasted money fitting a reverb control on the foot swich, or a reverb level control on my TSL head. Pointless!

I dunno... I still think there's too much reverb. That old DR surely could mush up stuff.

In the real old Rockabilly era there was some such as one might find with Luther Perkins behind Johnny Cash. But it wasn't really heavy.

I tend mostly to have a little reverb, a little chorus, other controls on the amp depending on what guitar I'm using at the time.

m

Archived