Gibson Brands Forums

ever happen to you??

pete c

i haven't been able to play for a few months. i sat down to play last night, and nothing sounds good. no knobs have been changed, dont use batteries in my pedals, they all have ac adapters. put new strings on before trying to play.

its weird the night before my neck surgery in Dec i played for hours knowing i wouldn't be able to for a while, so nothing has been touched.

but now the settings i had before are awful. i cant imagine it sounded that bad before. at least i hope not. [scared]

It happens, even a different level of humidity in your guitar and the amp speakers will change your tone.

It drives me nuts when it does, I usually unplug and walk away then try some other time and things are back to normal.

im gonna give it another try tonight. got another surgery may 9th. so i gotta get it out of my system.

it drove me nuts went for months without having to tweak a single knob, now it sounds like a two year old has been playing with the knobs.

Happens to me all the time.

Just readjust to suit your ear in the here and now :)

Really???? [confused] My gear usually sounds familiar.

The only time it changes is if my daughter has been playing with my gear, or something happened to the gear, or the gear is in a different location (room).... But I've always been able to get back home with my tone, even after my ears being hammered after a blistering loud Jonas Bros concert.

Yeah... especially with the Boss ST-2. I can dial it in and get what I think at the time is a great tone, but the next time I fire it up it will sound all muddy.

Not so much with the MT-2/CE-5/DD-7 combo through the SS Eden amp. THAT is stable, but the Blues Jr. will change as the tubes warm up. It's why I used to leave my Chandler Tube Driver on all the time, so there would be some normalcy to the tone it produced.

/shrug It very well could just be that the tones I was playing around with before are not the ones I am looking for in the present.

[thumbup]

Edit* My cat used to change my ToneLab settings for me.... it's one of the reasons I'm using the Boss pedal board more. She seems to like a combination of high gain on amps known for their clean sound....

Just happened to me this morning. Played to a packed church and nothing sounded right to me. Slightly flat and tone sucked..ugh!

After the service I had people come up to me and tell me how on I was this morning. What??!!! "Yep awesome guitar!" Hmmmmm.eusa_wall.gif

Some days it's just your perception that's off.

Pete, is your amp tube or solid state?

its solid state. if it was a tube amp i would re tube it, the sound has changed that much.

i think i might clean all the jacks maybe something has oxidized from not being used? something has happened cause nothing has been touched, no young kids, ive pretty much been house bound all winter.

Pedals (mine, anyway) have a drastic change in tone, from

practice levels, to "stage" levels. And, room to room, of

course. Makes one wonder, how to even "test" a pedal, in a

store, and get any kind of idea, what it's "really" going to

sound like, in one's own varying situations. One reason I

get kind of amused, at people's unabashed bashing or praising

certain pedals. I keep wondering the context, in which they're

basing all that. My amps, aside from room difference anomalies,

are always pretty constant. There IS a slight warming effect,

when the tubes get hotter. Just my experiences...your's may

vary.

Edit: Another thing, I've noticed, is...that pedals when using

batteries, sound different, than when using a powersupply. I

thought it was just my imagination, but other's have confirmed

that, happening to them, as well. So...???

CB

it was the input jack on the amp, rolled up some 600 grit sand paper now sounding better.

cb, i to have noticed some pedals sound different with a battery, thats the reason every pedal i buy i also get the ac adapter that way they are constant no battery going dead.

it was the input jack on the amp, rolled up some 600 grit sand paper now sounding better.

cb, i to have noticed some pedals sound different with a battery, thats the reason every pedal i buy i also get the ac adapter that way they are constant no battery going dead.

Yeah, me too. No more batteries. Better for the environment, and my wallet, too. Do you use

seperate power supplies, or a main one, with a daisy chain? I have a main supply

with daisy chain, for the pedal hook-up.

CB

I think its just perception. Some days, I get the best amp tone ever, its warm, perfect amount of overdrive and delay, then other days (no setting change), its grainy, too bright, and all in all sounds too thin.

I find that using thin picks augment that effect. But it might just be me. By thin I mean less than .73mm

Archived