Gibson Brands Forums

My New Acoustic Guitar

Duende

That looks absolutely gorgeous, Matt!

Is it going to be a 'silk-and-steel' ?

I look forward to regular updates!

P.

Hi Pippy and EuroAussie,

Pippy, silk and steel? It will be steel strung if that is what you mean? But yes I am very excited. I have three hand made guitars already but never one that was made specially for me just how I want it!

I am thinking too that when I do get my next electric guitar (probably either a jazzer or Telecaster style) I will also go the hand made route. It is more personal, truly hand made and only my opinion, but I think you get much more guitar for your money.

Matt

Waiting for a hand built guitar is exciting, especially when the builder provides cool progress pics. . . Good for you.

The finished guitar looks very cool. Is this your first one with that design?

Looking forward to continued updates. B)

Hi Matthew,

Great Stuff - It's always great to see shots of builders as they create wonderful instruments - looks like some very nice spruce and walnut are going into the top back and sides...Congrats and hopes they complete your new baby quickly!

Bob

Waiting for a hand built guitar is exciting, especially when the builder provides cool progress pics. . . Good for you.

The finished guitar looks very cool. Is this your first one with that design?

Looking forward to continued updates. B)

Yes my first gypsy jazz guitar. The only other walnut built guitar I have is my gibson M3 deluxe electric and I love that, so hopefully a good oman! He is also putting a pick up on it too under the strings.

Hi Matthew,

Great Stuff - It's always great to see shots of builders as they create wonderful instruments - looks like some very nice spruce and walnut are going into the top back and sides...Congrats and hopes they complete your new baby quickly!

Bob

I said to my wife that it was the equivalent of a proud father seeing the baby in an ultrascan picture!

Roy the maker is (or I should say was) taking a break from building for a while and has kindly agreed to this guitar, so I am hoping it is like in pizza express when you get there early and because the guy making it isn't in a rush and bust it tastes nicer!

Mat

These are called Gypsy Jazz guitars, only because they were used by Django and the like, but they were not designed with Gypsy music in mind. Before the Gypsy guys took them over, they were used for all types of music, but were really well suited for gypsy music. You can see pics of Django with Gibson archtops and such before he moved to this kind of guitar. Grande bouche (big mouth) guitars like these are great all around guitars, congradulations Matt...hope you enjoy the journey, and the final product. Please post some sound samples when you get it!!!

These are called Gypsy Jazz guitars, only because they were used by Django and the like, but they were not designed with Gypsy music in mind. Before the Gypsy guys took them over, they were used for all types of music, but were really well suited for gypsy music. You can see pics of Django with Gibson archtops and such before he moved to this kind of guitar. Grande bouche (big mouth) guitars like these are great all around guitars, congradulations Matt...hope you enjoy the journey, and the final product. Please post some sound samples when you get it!!!

You are quite right, but they were made with the intention of being a jazz instrument that could volume wise compete with other instruments in an ensemble setting.

I found this great little article about Mario Macafferi

http://www.jazzeddie.f2s.com/selmermaccaferri_guitars.htm

Cheers Wily, yes when I do get it I will definitely makes some recordings with it. My wife plays bass too and I am looking forward to jamming with her.

Matt

[...] Grande bouche (big mouth) guitars like these are great all around guitars [...]

I'm really glad that's what these guitars are called. Every time I see one I think of a large mouth bass.

Congrats on the new guitar! I'm looking forward to hearing some clips of you playing it.

Congrats on the new guitar! I'm looking forward to hearing some clips of you playing it.

Ahh but the pain of the wait...

to quote a great blues track title (by the late great Jeff Healey) it is a "Nice Problem To Have" msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Hey Matt hows the guitar coming?

He said a few weeks back that it won't be ready till after Easter. I don't want to rush him, I suppose it will be ready when it's ready.

I have three broken amps that need fixing (including my main teaching amp), a couple of electrics that could do with a set up...GRRRRRR One of the many reasons I prefer acoustic...less hassle! LOL

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Almost there!!!, just needs a week to settle (in his words) and then he comes back to it and does the final touches!! msp_thumbup.gif and that Matt custom done to all his requirements is ready to shred!!!! Only a Matt Custom is good enough msp_flapper.gifmsp_scared.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

DSC01823.jpg?t=1304099141

Matt.. The guitar looks terrific..Enjoy...

Based on your "getting back into piano and loving it" thread.. I asked a friend, who still lives in the old neighborhood, to visit Steinway's HQ in Long Island City, New York (I grew up about 10 minutes from their main offices) equiped with a picture of your new guitar.. Steinway tried to match the style and finish for you.. After paying for the design and construction we couldn't afford shipping.. So...We had it droppedc into the Atlantic off Rockaway Beach.. If we guessed right on time, tides and currents this should wash up on the West Coast of England in about a month.. Keep an eye out for it.

beached-pianos-01.jpg

Ha ha! That would be something!!! One day maybe :)

I have my first piano pupil coming Tuesday; I haven't taught piano in ten years, so I have been practicing hard so my playing is too awful. I am nervous but also very excited!

My wife has been practicing bass with me and when I get the guitar we are going to try and get some jazz gigs! Classical guitar will always be my number one love but gypsy jazz guitar and piano are two things I want to just keep enjoying and learning too!

Matt

• 1 month later...

Archived