Gibson Brands Forums

Robbie Robertson

EVOL!

EVOL! Great post. Oh and thanks for making me feel old. LOL !!!! I'm amazed that some of the "kids" never heard of

"The Band". To all of you who post other Vids, thanks . It's been a long time comming , that the site put some fine music

up on a post.

Sorry to be a wet blanket here, but I do have big issues with The Last Waltz.

1. It is only partially live. Majority of the audio was re-recorded in the studio (Rick's bass was out of tune, Robbie flubbed a lead, ect.). Only Levon's drumming and vocals were not because he told them to "shove it" after the concert.

2. The late, great Richard Manuel was in such poor health form a steady diet of Grand Marnier that he only sang two songs. King Harvest (one of my personal favorites) was performed, but cut from both the CD/album box set and the film because his voice kept choking out. Tragic story of a very talented musician.

3. Robbie comes off as the band leader when he is not. You see him singing on stage? His mic is not even on.

1. It is only partially live. Majority of the audio was re-recorded in the studio (Rick's bass was out of tune, Robbie flubbed a lead, ect.). Only Levon's drumming and vocals were not because he told them to "shove it" after the concert.

2. The late, great Richard Manuel was in such poor health form a steady diet of Grand Marnier that he only sang two songs. King Harvest (one of my personal favorites) was performed, but cut from both the CD/album box set and the film because his voice kept choking out. Tragic story of a very talented musician.

3. Robbie comes off as the band leader when he is not. You see him singing on stage? His mic is not even on.

It seems to me that about half the stereo is missing. I'm not sure whether his mic is off or the whole channel he and some others were on is just missing.

There's bound to be some issues, being a Martin Scorcese film.

Robby Robertson has always come off to me as a preening opportunist.

Nevertheless, it was nice to catch Muddy Waters doin' his thing. Kinda the high point for me. The rest seemed to be whatever you can make of guests jostling for a spot on a "goodbye concert" stage. Most looked uneasy and awkward. as if they were aware of how pretentious the whole thing (and Robbie is the King of pretension, if not the bandleader) was.

Definitely good points, I still love it though.

I'm also really disappointed that you only get to see the beginning of Chest Fever

Nevertheless, it was nice to catch Muddy Waters doin' his thing. Kinda the high point for me. The rest seemed to be whatever you can make of guests jostling for a spot on a "goodbye concert" stage. Most looked uneasy and awkward. as if they were aware of how pretentious the whole thing (and Robbie is the King of pretension, if not the bandleader) was.

And Waters was almost cut; if it weren't for Levon stepping in and saying, "no f'ing way; he's playing."

And Waters was almost cut; if it weren't for Levon stepping in and saying, "no f'ing way; he's playing."

What? Scorsese said he almost died when he realized he had called for a film change right before Waters came on, he was absolutely stoked that one cameraman ignored the order because he was aware that Muddy was up next. That's why there's only one angle of Muddy for the first 3/4 of Mannish Boy.

Just curious, where are you getting you information? If you buy the DVD there's a wonderful documentary on the making of The Last Waltz that pretty much debunks almost everything you've said so far. Except the part about overdubbing, but I defy you to find a live performance outside the Punk scene that has no studio repairs. Par for the course.

Scorsese Loves the Blues, there's no way he would have "Almost Cut" one of his idols.

Great band....The Band....

Coming out of the 60's when things were new

Hooking up with Bob Dylan just as he started to ride the electric folk roller coaster

Controversial at the time...(Judas) etc.

Typical alcohol/drugs excesses and great music

Robbie, with filmstar good looks probably enhanced 'The Band's' reputation and legendary status

And excellent guitar playing to boot......

V

:-({|=

Great band....The Band....

.....Robbie, with filmstar good looks probably enhanced 'The Band's' reputation and legendary status.....

you do remember that he did try his hand at acting- one moview with a very young Jody Foster (Carny)and has written and produced music for quite a few film scores.

you do remember that he did try his hand at acting- one moview with a very young Jody Foster (Carny)and has written and produced music for quite a few film scores.

Well he has certainly acted as 'musical consultant' on a lot of (Scorsese) films.

What? Scorsese said he almost died when he realized he had called for a film change right before Waters came on, he was absolutely stoked that one cameraman ignored the order because he was aware that Muddy was up next. That's why there's only one angle of Muddy for the first 3/4 of Mannish Boy.

Just curious, where are you getting you information? If you buy the DVD there's a wonderful documentary on the making of The Last Waltz that pretty much debunks almost everything you've said so far. Except the part about overdubbing, but I defy you to find a live performance outside the Punk scene that has no studio repairs. Par for the course.

Scorsese Loves the Blues, there's no way he would have "Almost Cut" one of his idols.

It's all in Levon Helm's book This Wheel's on Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of the Band. Scorsese may not have been aware that back stage the producers, in the interest of time and budget, tried to cut acts. Waters was invited by Helm and I forget if this was before or after he recorded Waters at his upstate NY studio. The fact that they only had one camera available when Waters hit the stage, due to changing film and letting the cameras cool down, is 100% true. It is also true that everyone breathed a sigh of relief when they realized that they did capture that performance on film.

The overdubbing - I don't get that about live albums. But if you believe everything Helm put in his book almost the whole show was overdubbed. Makes me think that night, as *magical* as the show was, was a complete mess behind the scenes. And Manuel's voice wasn't wrecked? Have you heard the bootleg recording of King Harvest from TLW? It's on YouTube so I'll let you judge for yourself.

I would be willing to bet that 80% of all "live" filmed performances are over dubbed and heavily edited..Have any of you ever been to a live performance that was being recorded for a film or a album release?

Why do you think they record four or five concerts with the same material being played at each venue?

When Cream released "Crossroads" it was spliced together from several concerts...anyone here going to call Clapton, Bruce and Baker frauds? Clapton was never pleased with the version released.

This is as common as a cold..

It's all in Levon Helm's book This Wheel's on Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of the Band. Scorsese may not have been aware that back stage the producers, in the interest of time and budget, tried to cut acts. Waters was invited by Helm and I forget if this was before or after he recorded Waters at his upstate NY studio. The fact that they only had one camera available when Waters hit the stage, due to changing film and letting the cameras cool down, is 100% true. It is also true that everyone breathed a sigh of relief when they realized that they did capture that performance on film.

The overdubbing - I don't get that about live albums. But if you believe everything Helm put in his book almost the whole show was overdubbed. Makes me think that night, as *magical* as the show was, was a complete mess behind the scenes. And Manuel's voice wasn't wrecked? Have you heard the bootleg recording of King Harvest from TLW? It's on YouTube so I'll let you judge for yourself.

Of course a show of that size and logistical magnitude is going to be a mess backstage. I'm gonna have to read that book, but keep in mind, that's only one point of view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8yLQhkQWP0

Here's the version I think you're referring too.

Robbie always has been a bit pretentous and such...but, hey, he did play in the BAND.....There was lots of dr*g use going on backstage at that show....

Neil Young's entrance onto the stage had to be edited, as a chunk of something was hanging out of his nose...

Archived