Gibson Brands Forums

Robbie Robertson

EVOL!

I'm gonna need to listen to The Band now. never really gave them a listen

Their first two albums, s/t and Music from Big Pink, are required listening. The way they took that Americana sound and gave such amazing, delicious sonic qualities to it will blow your mind as both a musician/songwriter and audio engineer. The secret to their sound, outside of the three part harmonies, was Garth Hudson. That mad scientist built a lot of FX boxes that he used on his Lowery organs and Robertson used on his guitars. He also helped arrange and orchestrate the music.

You should also hit The Basement Tapes and The Bootleg Series, Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live, 1966: The "Royal Albert Hall Concert". Both were with Bob Dylan.

Next time we meet up I'll have a copy of This Wheel's on Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of the Band by Levon Helm and Stephen Davis and some mp3s for you.

Their first two albums, s/t and Music from Big Pink, are required listening. The way they took that Americana sound and gave such amazing, delicious sonic qualities to it will blow your mind as both a musician/songwriter and audio engineer. The secret to their sound, outside of the three part harmonies, was Garth Hudson. That mad scientist built a lot of FX boxes that he used on his Lowery organs and Robertson used on his guitars. He also helped arrange and orchestrate the music.

You should also hit The Basement Tapes and The Bootleg Series, Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live, 1966: The "Royal Albert Hall Concert". Both were with Bob Dylan.

Next time we meet up I'll have a copy of This Wheel's on Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of the Band by Levon Helm and Stephen Davis and some mp3s for you.

Now I feel like I have been missing out in life. I'll be sure to give them a listen tonight as I work on my design project [thumbup]

The other secret to their sound was that Robertson didn't sing very much, but mainly left it to Helm, Rick Danko and Richard Manuel... Interesting to hear his voice. And to see that he still favours a Strat with the middle pup taken out. Good song and all (if a bit MOR compared to his classics), and thanks for posting EVOL, but I think he was right to delegate vocals in the Band. Dylan does 'distinctive' much better. On which subject, while you're on your RR learning curve, Fred, you should listen to Dylan's Blonde on Blonde. The guitarist listed in the credits as Jaime Robertson is the same person.

Also, while watching the Last Waltz, check out RR's mystery Gibson double-neck. This instrument has been discussed on this forum at some point, I believe. Nobody seems to know anything about it, or to have ever seen another one like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjCw3-YTffo&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-4-HM

Though I loved "The Band" I really think I can play and certainly can sing better than Robbie.

Didn't particularly like the piece last night. Too many instruments all playing way too simplistic parts.

But, I am a midlife crisis wannabee and he's been there . . .

Great post EVOL. For those not in the know regarding The Band, check out Rock of Ages (fantastic and I like it better than TLW-let the flames commence). Before The Flood is great also. I've been listening to Northern Lights Southern Cross lately, Very underrated.

Robbie was never known as a singer but he writes and plays great.

Very important and talented figure in the annals of music.

Robbie and Levon Helm had very healthy impacts on my early musical development. The way they can back up anyone and still have their very own sound and identity is what music is awesome! (I'm not one to use the word Awesome lightly).

Let's really throw these kids for a loop. The Band was backing Ronnie Hawkins before Dylan.

Really rock their boat...Robbie took lessons from The Hawks lead guitar player, a guy named..................................Roy Buchanan

The beauty of The Band, to me, was that they were always greater than the sum of their parts. Wildy divergent individuals who came together and had a great band sound in spite of themselves.

Every one of them was unorthodox. Where but in The Band could Levon Helm sneak in all those nuanced fills WHILE HE SANG? You can almost hear a modern producer on the talkback mic: "...Uh, Mister Chiltin, Mister Chitlin..."

The Last Waltz DVD is a career spanning retrospective frozen in time. It reminds me of Hail Hail rock & Roll, with Chuck Berry and Keef.

Thanks for posting the Letterman YouTube. It was interesting to see Robbie Robertson being the weakest musician in the band, instead of being the glue of The Band.

Archived