Gibson Brands Forums

echo base delay

dbreslauer

I'm at a pause while I wait for a voltage regulator, so here's a progress update on my latest effect build in photos. This is my most ambitious effects project yet, i hope it works!

almost all the parts (missing one item, a 5V voltage regulator not listed on the BOM.)

1.jpg

the press-n-peel transfer before ironing:

2.jpg

a near perfect transfer. after etching I clean up stray traces with a sharp knife if needed.

3.jpg

mounting resistors, checking them off as I go and testing for good joins.

4.jpg

fully populated less the 5V regulator and wires.

5.jpg

the back. i filed my soldering iron tip to a point to keep the points tight, and measured for goofs with my DMM. you can see knife marks where things were too close for comfort.

6.jpg

wires attached to the board.

7.jpg

trial fit of all the controls mounted to the box.

8.jpg

more to follow once i get my voltage regulator. :)

-Don

Nice job. They did a good layout to keep the traces wide which makes etching a lot easier and big pads help from accidental tear out during the hour or so of drilling. I had good luck with this using a small drill bit in a Dremel attached to the Dremel drill press. I have done a few of these type of projects but more in the "satellite television" hobby. Looking forward to hearing it!

Looks like they are using the heat transfer method for the trace layout o the copper board. This is a ton easier than the photo sensitive etching!

Andy

Nice job. They did a good layout to keep the traces wide which makes etching a lot easier and big pads help from accidental tear out during the hour or so of drilling. I had good luck with this using a small drill bit in a Dremel attached to the Dremel drill press. I have done a few of these type of projects but more in the "satellite television" hobby. Looking forward to hearing it!

Looks like they are using the heat transfer method for the trace layout o the copper board. This is a ton easier than the photo sensitive etching!

Andy

Yup, iron set to ~375, for 5 minutes or so. For simpler circuits I've always just drawn the layout with a ruler and sharpie, but this one is too complicated for that.

Drilling all the holes was a blast too! :)

I'm debating going to the radio shack to pay their premium for that regulator: at 1.59 it's what 5 of them cost from other sources online...

Don

ok, i fired it up tonight, and worked from the get go... darn lucky I am, not having to troubleshoot... its really tight fitting even using the larger size box.

this is probably gonna be my favorite effect: the modulation in particular is wild!

sound clips later tonight. :)

ok, i fired it up tonight, and worked from the get go... darn lucky I am, not having to troubleshoot... its really tight fitting even using the larger size box.

this is probably gonna be my favorite effect: the modulation in particular is wild!

sound clips later tonight. :)

Congrats! It's amazing how much of a pain in the Arse it can be to trouble shoot those little circuits! Waiting for sound clips!

Andy

A friend just made one for me. I'm still trying to figure out the nuances of the controls.

Delay.jpg

i just ordered a bunch of those smaller, skirtless knobs for mine. that graphic top on yours is freakin' cool. :)

Archived