Gibson Brands Forums

Fatter Neck Fan Club

heymisterk

I can't even tell the difference.

Honestly... in shopping for my LP, I played a '50s neck LP at the Gibson Showcase that had me convinced I'd gotten it wrong and the '60s neck was the thicker neck....

Not much difference between them sometimes, methinks.

I cant do really fat necks. Had my eye on an R7 a while back, but could not get passed the thickness of the neck. I can definitely feel the difference between USA 50s and 60s. Strangely enough, I learned on a 60s MM with a huge neck.

I've been playing 50s necks all my life. It wasn't till last year that I got a 60s for the first time. I love the 60s neck, but cut my teeth on 50s. Right now I lean more toward slim, but cannot negate my first love [smile]

Yeah, I think "thin" and such is a term that can be a bit misleading. Overall shape is quite important in perceived "thickness."

Which means, I think, that in ways one should play a given instrument to see how the neck fits his/her hands and playing style. Tiny differences can make huge differences in perception.

Also the body style of the guitar plays a role in our perception of a neck because it affects how we hold the thing and the geometry of how our left hand has its interface with the neck overall...

m

My Gibson is an F-25, an acoustical from the 60's with a big wide classical guitar sized neck, 2" nut and 12 frets, and I would say it is wider than any Gibson electric.

I love it.

I've actually had my eye out for one of those for a while because of the wide neck!

Archived