Gibson Brands Forums

1978 Gibson ES 175

ant7629

Hello all

I have to opportunity to buy a 1978 ES 175 in natural for £550, so that's about $900. Are they any good? It looks like a very clean example with no issues other than some lacquer checking and comes with a the original case.

I own several Gibson guitars, but I have no idea about the ES175 especially ones made in this period.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Many thanks

The late 70's Gibson jazz guitars were very poor in quality compared to what is available from Gibson these days. The workmanship overall was very poor in regards to finish and detail to tone quality........ as I've owned and sold quite a few late 70's ES-175's over the years...........jimbo

Not sure what to do, two clearly different opinions on the build quality for this era.

I will definitely view the guitar at least. If I buy it, I'll post some pics.

Thanks for the advice.

Not sure what to do, two clearly different opinions on the build quality for this era.

I will definitely view the guitar at least. If I buy it, I'll post some pics.

Thanks for the advice.

ant7629, I don't think you got 2 different opinions. I think cajunblues was partly joking with you. I think the point is, if you can get an ES 175, for $900.00, from ANY era, jump on it. You wont be disappointed. I have a 76, and I love it. It plays, sounds, and looks fantastic.

• 2 months later...

You can't lose at that price!

Oh Yes, you can. Gumtree is full of fraudulent ads for non-existent guitars. Please exercise caution. I have seen ads for guitars with pictures taken off actual ebay auctions for ridiculously low prices...like a mint L-4 CES for GBP900.00. Dollars to doughnuts, that 1978 ES-175 was a fraudulent ad.

I know this comes a little late to the thread but anyone reading this should be warned about Gumtree or any of the internet classified ad sites.

Oh Yes, you can. Gumtree is full of fraudulent ads for non-existent guitars. Please exercise caution. I have seen ads for guitars with pictures taken off actual ebay auctions for ridiculously low prices...like a mint L-4 CES for GBP900.00. Dollars to doughnuts, that 1978 ES-175 was a fraudulent ad.

I know this comes a little late to the thread but anyone reading this should be warned about Gumtree or any of the internet classified ad sites.

My response above would of course be for a legitimate transaction. I've never looked at Gumtree & don't even use ebay, but yes, there's a lot of fraud out there. I know for a fact that a guitar sold on ebay for serious dollars & purchased by a friend of mine ('53 Tele), shortly thereafter appeared in a Criagslist ad using the same ebay photos. The Craigslist ad was a complete scam, as my friend still has the one-of-a-kind Tele in his possession.

• 5 weeks later...

I think that price is outrageously low for an ES-175 from any period of Gibson history, and would be automatically suspicious of it. Regardless of what you think of eBay, it is a very good indicator of the market value of a particular model, eg. a legit guitar from an honest seller worth $1500 tends to sell for - surprise, surprise - $1500, so do a quick search. ES-175's at $1500 or less I would suspect neck repairs or other serious issues. Clean examples (175 D's) are rarely below $2K though occasionally can find one ~$1800. I waited for ages to find a 1988 mahogany back/sides example for less than 2K,

Archived