Gibson Brands Forums

Nitrocellulose and black felt

davidl

On the weekend I put up a nice piece of oak to span the studs in my wall to hang my guitars.

Today while I was at work, my father in law did me a nice service and installed a bumper on the wall so my coveted guitars could not sway into the wall and damage them.

Here's a picture of what I did.

IMG-20110409-00148.jpg

Now my question: Can the black felt leave marks on the nitro finish on the Gibsons?

They barely touch, as he designed it.

I feel bad because he took a raw piece of lumber and thickness planed it and sanded it baby butt smooth. I don't want to change his design but I may have to.

Opinions please?

Thanks

Nice axes. They really make the wall look great. Really digging that blue on the robotic thing. I see flame. Great cherry color on that 336 thing, like the aged color look on those. What was the question?

Oh, the black felt on the finish. Isn't the stuff lining cases made of the same thing?

And that is a nice looking wall hanger too.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Especially the confirmation that the felt is safe.

From left to right is a 2010 ES-339 antique red, 2008 Robot LP in Midnight Manhattan, 2008 1960 VOS R0 and the last one with the Maple leaf fret markers I bought around 1978 as a 16 year old. It is a Japanese made for the Canadian market LP replica. Mahogany back, maple top, maple neck with Seymour Duncan 59 neck pup and SD JB (Jeff Beck) Bridge pup. All wiring caps and pots and pups installed about a year and a half ago. Had a fret dressing too. It was made in the Kasuga factory and is a great player and IMHO a looker too. Weight over 10 pounds. It was a huge purchase for me at the time and will never be sold. I've had offers.

Thanks for the interest and comments. Still a ways to go to complete the music part of the building.

Dave

For every guitar I own each has it's own accompanying "Scratch Pad Velvet Guitar Finish Protector" on it's backside! Saves me from killing myself or my son over leaving belt buckle rash on my guitars!

Nice job on your wall hanger.

And a generous gesture by your father-in-law.

And that's quite a group of beautiful of guitars there - you've got a great lookin' collection growing.

About the felt - if it's real wool felt with fabric backing, that's no problem. . . . If it's synthetic felt with that plasticized backing fabric, keep an eye on the felt - if it wears through to the backing, replace it. . . . It's not only rubber that will react with nitro, some of those soft, pliable, plastics can also turn nitro to mush.

Nice job on your wall hanger.

And a generous gesture by your father-in-law.

And that's quite a group of beautiful of guitars there - you've got a great lookin' collection growing.

About the felt - if it's real wool felt with fabric backing, that's no problem. . . . If it's synthetic felt with that plasticized backing fabric, keep an eye on the felt - if it wears through to the backing, replace it. . . . It's not only rubber that will react with nitro, some of those soft, pliable, plastics can also turn nitro to mush.

Thanks BigK.

Not a big grouping but all quality. I was hoping to add one per year for the next several years. We'll see how it goes. My problem is that I only want something that I'll be happy with forever. That often translates to bigger dollars. I'm leaning towards a nice 12 string acoustic but I want to keep the price well under $2000. I've already got the go ahead from my fabulous wife but I'm not sure what to buy. I'm thinking Martin, Guild..., I'm open to suggestions to try. I don't see much selection in any stores to compare. And thanks for the heads up on the felt backing.

About my father in law...he is a gifted woodworker, builder, inventor, collector but most of all, he is probably my best friend and I see him almost daily.

I'm a lucky dude.

davidl, wall hanger looks sweet. I may have to fabricate something similar now that I've seen yours. As for the felt issue, I wrapped my guitar stand with white felt some years ago and I've never had a reaction on the finish of my LP Custom. From what I understand, felt is made of wool and the black felt is probably dyed, white felt bleached, but so far so good on my side. I was concerned that the roughness of the felt might scratch the finish, but mine looks good after years. I hope that helps.

davidl, wall hanger looks sweet. I may have to fabricate something similar now that I've seen yours. As for the felt issue, I wrapped my guitar stand with white felt some years ago and I've never had a reaction on the finish of my LP Custom. From what I understand, felt is made of wool and the black felt is probably dyed, white felt bleached, but so far so good on my side. I was concerned that the roughness of the felt might scratch the finish, but mine looks good after years. I hope that helps.

The guitars just barely touch the felt so it should be cool. Also, they won't be on the wall at all times. The climate in my part of the world changes frequently from hot to cold to dry to damp. I keep the place heated in the colder months at around 65f primarily by electric heat but supplemented by wood. I have humidifiers for each guitar case as well.

Steven Tari just got a LAG 12 string acoustic....

Rainsong makes nice composite 12 strings..a bit over 2000.00 US though...

High end Epi acoustics are nice...

Some Taylor 12 strings are around 2 grand.....

Archived