Gibson Brands Forums

MXR M102 dyna comp

cookieman15061

I have never owned one, but they're great. They are perfect for everything. The only problem is if you are adding it in if you have a lot of gain on your amp, like me. It pushes gain, trust me. And even for compressors they add volume, which is good for solos. Id say get it as it is a ton better than the Boss CS-2 and others in in its price range and I don't see paying over $200 for a compressor made by Keeley, Mad Professor, Analogman, Toadworks, etc. Others I would consider are the Maxon or Barber compressors. Or try the MXR Custom Shop 76' Vintage Dyna Comp ( it will match with the 74' Vintage Phase 90 and 75' Vintage Phase 45! ). Go watch some demos ( Gearmanndude and ProGuitarShopDemos are the BEST ) and find what suits your ear. Also, the MXR Custom Shop Super Comp and Custom Comp are great too.

I went on a compressor hunt some time ago. I was into them, I thought that they would make a great alternative to a ts9 or a distortion as a boost pedal. I like them for that. More natural.

I tried a lot of them. The dyna is really a fun ped and does the lead boost thing and the "effect" thing really well, and has a pleasing tone. But, the thing is that if you are using it to hear the effect of the compessor, they are VERY noisy.

I had a MXR Custom Comp...I did compare it with the Dyna but decided to go with the custom...Either way though, if you spend less then 200-300$ on a compressor..Your going to get all of the bad stuff compressors come with...popping, noisy, squashy, non-transparent, etc....So thats why I dont use one anymore, because IMO the only one's worth having, are the ones that get rid all of the negative attributes of a compressor but sadly you find one under 200$

PS: compressor goes right after the tuner...Should be the first pedal in the chain, and not in the loop or as Cookie stated some use it after the Wah as well...I personally place my wah after all my dirt, so thats not really an issue for me.

Maxon has a compressor in their reissue series called the CP101. It uses a photocoupler instead of a VCA, which means low noise and none of the problems you mentioned. $171 new at most retailors. Its cheaper than the 76' Reissue Dyna Comp. Dave Weiner of Steve Vai's band uses one in his pedalboard. Im not a big fan of compressors but maybe I should try one of these.

Thanks guys appreciate the input.

Apparently not as popular a pedal as I'd thought.

Kinda depends. Back a long time ago, there were few choices and the dynacomp is/was a classic. I have spent some good time with both a new one and a "vintage" one and they both have it, IMHO. And for like 70 bucks, thats a great toy. they sell tons.

But the thing is compressors have come a LONG way, so not only are there a buttload of choices that sound different, it is also possible to get compressors that actually are quiet.

I am a huge fan of the keeley. Seriously quiet and it does all the compressor "tricks" I like for effects and I swear if you were using it and didn't want anyone to know it could pull it off. Obviously, if you are using it for SUPER SQUASH you will hear it, but it is amazing how quiet it is even when doing that.

For fun, adding some of that "snap" and brightness along with the SQUASH thing, I have to say I really like the vintage ts series Ibanez, the newer soul preacher, and the regular dynacomp. These are all noisy, but it seems to come with the territory.

I am not really a fan and have no use for the other uses for a compressor that are better served by the smoother and more transparent types like the boss.

So, I guess the point is that if you are just looking at it for fun and want to screw around at home and such, no reason to think you should NEED to spend a lot for just not having noise, but if you are serious about using one in public situations, the Keeleys are worth every penny.

Yeah was really looking for something to give me a little more rich sustain ala Gilmour. I had a gig this weekend and figured I'd buy one. Couldn't beat the price but really wasn't that impressed. A lot of noise for not much difference with the tube screamer.

Now clean it definitely gave my strat a boost and clarity for solos which was nice and a sweet percussive slap on the strings but not really my purpose for buying this pedal.

I think I'll play with it for a week and see what I can do with it.

Yeah was really looking for something to give me a little more rich sustain ala Gilmour. I had a gig this weekend and figured I'd buy one. Couldn't beat the price but really wasn't that impressed. A lot of noise for not much difference with the tube screamer.

Now clean it definitely gave my strat a boost and clarity for solos which was nice and a sweet percussive slap on the strings but not really my purpose for buying this pedal.

I think I'll play with it for a week and see what I can do with it.

That's pretty much my experience as well. I think the tube screamer has more compression as well as sustain on its own, and it makes the compressor redundant when using both at once. The ts-9 can be a pretty intense pedal with all its midrange and treble. And cutting way back on it and using the compressor to cover some of it..why?

But, in regards to the comment about what it sounds like clean, I'm pretty sure that is what Gilmore gets out of it. That's the sound I hear when I hear his tone.

Another thing with compressors, when set for good squash and sustain, they FEEL a lot different. Digging in and whacking strings doesn't give you more, it is kinda strange that way. It is kinda fun in a way because for me it causes me to have more patience and choose notes better.

By contrast, the ts9 is really good at fattening up single notes and bringing them up to a "lead" volume, but of corse the drawback for me is that constant "errr" sound that is always there with it.

Archived