Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Les Paul Deluxe Wine Red

CajunBlues

Congratulations- beautiful guitar. I've been thinking about getting one of these. I've never played one. Could you give me/us a review of the mini's sound. Are they similar to a Firebird sound? Great looking guitar.

Thanks everyone for the replies.... I know it sounds cliche... but really they have a sound that is somewhere between a full sized humbucker and a p90... Maybe closer to a p90 sound... The bridge position is very thin... Maybe just as thin as a p90 bridge... The middle position has that awesome pop (for lack of a better term) that the p90s have... And just as the middle on the p90s, it seems you have to keep them both at the same level to get that perfect middle sound... which leads me to a huge fan of a one vol/one tone setup... There should be more guitars with the one vol/one tone -- 3way setup...

Is it me or is the Headstock on the Deluxe bigger than that of a Standard or even Custom?

Great Deluxe by the way... gaaaasssssss coming on...

Thanks,....

I guess I could measure the headstock against my custom... I can almost assure you that the headstock is larger than my ES-137 headstock... no sense in measuring that one...

Yes, the headstock of the Deluxe is bigger than the Standard's for example. It is the same size with the Custom's. I am sure Gibson used Custom necks for this model, but they didn't added the binding and the inlays, and glued the Standard's fingerboard on it.

Lots of "Norlin Era," Gibby Headstocks were "boat paddles!" Huge!

Not just on Deluxe's, either. I've seen Standards, that had those

huge headstocks, too. Some peple like them, that way, other's not

so much.

My '76 has a smaller headstock. (See below)

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

CB

Guest BentonC

Nice- very cool guitar; congrats!

Those mini-humbuckers are a really nice change from the full-size buckers every so often.

Nice- very cool guitar; congrats!

Those mini-humbuckers are a really nice change from the full-size buckers every so often.

They are great for the blues... Along with a little overdrive, and they sing... I used to own a epi riviera with Gibson minis in it... damn, I wish I hadnt sold that guitar...

Congratulations!! You´ve got a beautiful guitar.

I´ve always liked the deluxes from the seventies and the wine red finish (one of the fanciest colours for a Gibson but, for some reason, not for a Fender...)

Is the neck made of mahogany or three pieces of maple?

This is my 1989 wine red Les Paul standard (a great guitar too!)

P3210009.jpg

PC310033.jpg

dylanita -- the neck is a 3 piece mahogany... and the finish on your standard is one of the best wine red's I have ever seen... pretty impressive... We don't see a lot of wine red finishes these days do we... Seems like they were more popular in the late 70's and into the 80's

I know its impolite to ask, but what are the late 70s, early 80s Norlin LPs going for? I keep seeing them on ebay for 4-5 grand, but you never see any of them sell.

I certainly don't think its impolite to ask... I bought this one for $1700 (total including shipping)... Not bad for all original except the tuners...

For deluxes, it seems once you get into the 80's, they get cheaper... 70's deluxes with minis sell for about $2000 to $2500... 70's customs that are all original in good shape will go for about $2500...

It all depends on repairs/condition/how much is original.. But I would say the range is $1500 to $3000 for 70's early 80's Lps

Archived