Gibson Brands Forums

Cherry Red '89 Sheraton II

krayneeum

Hi there,

I'm new to the Epiphone family and wanted to drop by and say hello, and hopefully get a few questions answered!

I just got a Cherry Red 1989 Sheraton II, and would like to know what factory is was made in. The serial (9090545) only tells me it was made in Korea in September 1989. Any insight into this? Also, I know Cherry Red is not a common color, so I'm wondering how this one came about.

More importantly, after only a couple months of use one of my saddles has cracked in half (the others are cracking as well). I took it to my local guitar luthier and they didn't have saddles or any bridges that would fit the odd spacing on the bridge posts that Epi used back in the day. I tried searching the interwebs for any useful information, but it seems my only option is to drill new holes to fit a modern tunomatic bridge (as suggested by my luthier). Has anyone else had any luck in finding a bridge that would fit this oddball spacing? Or has anyone tried using graphtech saddles in these older bridges?

I'm dying to play her again, so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

-Krayneeum

Here are some pics:

http://imgur.com/a/HC81r

Welcome! Wow, I love that. How nice to see a Sheri in red, I haven't seen one before.

Yes, that looks like a Samick, I don't know if any other factories used that type of bridge. There will be someone here who can give you more information about a replacement.

Well that is a gorgeous guitar [biggrin]

Unfortunately the Sherrys from that era had a bridge that has odd post spacing, the normal Epi post spacing is 74mm from center to center but these sherrys have a 72mm post spacing, Until recently they were available but i can't seem to find any now. some people do clever mods involving home made adapters to enable the a 73mm or 73.5mm Gibby T.O.M to fit.

Edit...double check the post spacing on the bridge just to make sure.

A really neat guitar in every way. Sorry to hear of your problem. If you have a good luthier, he shouldn't have much of an issue doing a cosmetically sound job. I recently found a cherry Riviera that was a bit of a mess but it cleaned up nicely. I still have no idea how he fixed the dents. Stay happy!

On an interesting note, I have just remembered that it is possible to buy replacement bridges with adjustable post spacings, here is an example of one from a german company called ABM, their stuff is high quality and rather pricey. there may be others available.

ABM 2400 roller bridge

ABM2400C.jpg

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, you guys are awesome! I'm happy to learn that Samick made it, despite the bridge issue.

Speaking of which, that ABM 2400 roller bridge is quite pricey! About as much as plugging and drilling new holes would cost (~$160 with labor and parts + SU). I'm tempted to do that, as it would allow me to install a Bigsby sometime in the future if I want to :-k.

Bigneil- how would you fill the extra space created by elongating the holes? I wouldn't really try something like this on my own, but I could suggest it to my luthier as an option.

Otherwise, has anyone had any luck in simply changing the saddles out with Graphtech saddles- or something similar? This would definitely be far less costly.

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback.

I really have no reply other than a comment. I have never seen "cracked saddles". Got a close up shot ? Also, I would think if you found Graphtech saddles to replace the ones presently installed, they might not crack. I do not believe they would effect the "tone" of the guitar, just a replacement for worn parts. Anyone else ever experience "cracked saddles" on any guitars ? Seems kind of unusual to me.

Welcome to the forums, that's a fantastic looking guitar you have there krayneeum, you should be very pleased with it.

I really have no reply other than a comment. I have never seen "cracked saddles". Got a close up shot ? Also, I would think if you found Graphtech saddles to replace the ones presently installed, they might not crack. I do not believe they would effect the "tone" of the guitar, just a replacement for worn parts. Anyone else ever experience "cracked saddles" on any guitars ? Seems kind of unusual to me.

Never heard of that before either, unless someone tried to deepen the slot with a cold chisel and 4lb lump hammer.

No close up shot, but I could take one. My guitar luthier said that it is pretty common in older Epi's as they age because they used a porous metal, and therefore they are weaker than the metals used today.

I'm looking into the Graphtech saddles, hopefully I can find ones that will fit my bridge! Thanks-

hi!

well known problem. my solution was to remove the original studs and bushings and to make brass bushings (similar to those on todays Gibson SG standards) with eccentric 4 mm taps. wooden dowels and the like did not work.

yours

wolfi

I remember seeing these on ebay when I was searching for my Sheraton

http://cgi.ebay.com/String-Saver-PS-8615-00-Saddles-Epiphone-Sheraton-II-/330511263619?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cf401a783

No sure if they would drop in? Or perhaps with a little filing they might work.

Your Sherri is gorgeous too.

Thanks!

I was wondering about these as well. I'm sure they'd drop right into modern Sheraton II bridges, but I'm unsure about the old 72mm bridges. Filing them a little could work, as long as the threading is the same!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!!

So I figured I'd update my thread with the results of my problem, in case anyone can benefit from it.

After ordering some Graph Tech saddles that didn't fit correctly, and no luck finding used parts on the internet, I gave in and took it to my luthier.

They had to plug and drill the holes, and replaced the bridge and tailpiece with tonepros (sweet!). The tailpiece was something like 1/64th of an inch away from fitting in the old holes ](*,) . Alas, the whole job cost $234 including parts + labor + set up [sad] , but the result was well worth it!! The tone from this baby is much better than before! I couldn't be more happy with the job. =D>

Here's some pics of the job. http://imgur.com/a/L3Hab

You can somewhat notice where they plugged the holes. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't bother me, considering it is a modification as well as an upgrade.

Time to keep rockin!

Problem with stock saddles is they're made from a cheap, cheesy diecast metal, and after a few years of string tension, will break, as will anything made with the diecast method. I believe Graphtech does indeed make replacement saddles for most bridges. Another problem with stock Epiphone bridges is their tendency to bow inward from prolonged string tension. I replaced the one on an Epiphone Les Paul I once owned with a "drop-in" Gotoh bridge...don't know if they make different length bridges, I would think they might, worth checkin' into anyway.

Archived