Gibson Brands Forums

Head cold

EVOL!

Fighting an annoying head cold. It is mostly sinus (I'm Greek and Quebecois so there is A LOT of nose for bugs to hide in). Any recommended foods to help easy my misery? On my way home I plan to pick up a can of chicken stock for soup. Maybe add some onion and a serrano chili.

Use a neti pot, they are great for sinuses, and stay away from dairy and sugar. Drink as much water as you can get down.

Very good advice.

I had a sinus infection (all through my grandmother's wake and funeral), and I was suggested a saline nasal spray. Acted much as the neti pot does, I highly suggest it if you're having sinus issues. It's just salt water, no drugs. Helped clear my nose out.

Thanks, all. I'll try the saline this weekend as go through the fun cleaning out part. You know, when you're over the cold and your body starts expelling gunk along the lines of missing children, dropped guitar picks, and road debris.

And to add insult to injury, I blew out my left ear sneezing this morning. Guess that explains why everything sounds muffled. Huh? What?

Very good advice.

I had a sinus infection (all through my grandmother's wake and funeral), and I was suggested a saline nasal spray. Acted much as the neti pot does, I highly suggest it if you're having sinus issues. It's just salt water, no drugs. Helped clear my nose out.

Yes, the saline spray is helpful too. Don't use those nasal decongestants unless it's an absolute emergency (i.e., you can't breathe through your nose and there's an apple lodged in your throat) because they cause rebound congestion and your cold will never go away.

...and stay away from dairy and sugar. Drink as much water as you can get down.

You ain't kidding. Had to forgo my morning cup of coffee with half and half for some black tea with honey.

The quintessential Yiddisher Mama proffers chicken soup for all ailments

Garlic is an anti-bacterial

A tot of whisky makes it all more fun

Hot horseradish sauce is pure pleasure

Hot curry has a chance of being tasted

Rest up in bed....because you are worth it.....

V....part-time which doctor....

:-({|=

If the problem is mostly sinus you may want to try Oil of Oregano that can be bought from GNC stores. Rub some on both sides of your big nose(sorry but you opened that can of worms) and also rub some on your temples. I used to have terrible sinus problems that would result in an infection at least once every two months, so I hope you get better soon, I know how bad it sucks!

Try it, it certainly helped me. [thumbup]

One of the worst things, and all too common for musicians

Are recurrent ear, nose and throat infections

Tales of touring band members constantly afflicted by colds and flu and worse

Worth having a lifestyle check-over

Working too hard, staying up too late, excess alcohol, stressed out, cabin fever

Take care with excess decibels too, as they can cause ear wax build up

Which in turn can cause blockage....encouraging sinus infection and a host of unpleasant side effects

Good Luck !!

V

:-({|=

Yes the answer is chicken soup but please not from a can. Chicken soup is the easiest thing in the world to make, here is a basic recipe;

One whole cut up chicken

potatoes

onions

carrots

celery

Take all that stuff an throw it in a big pot. Cover it all with water and then some. Add some salt and chicken bullion for a richer chicken flavor. Let it all boil until the potatoes are soft when you poke them with a fork. Let it cool down. If you can wait, after it has cooled down stick the pot in your refrigerator over night and the next day skim the excess fat off the top...

You will love this and cure your head cold... [thumbup]

I hooked it up last night. Sauteed a small onion, poblano pepper, and a serrano chili in some olive oil. Added two heaping spoonfuls of yellow curry powder, a heaping spoonful of oregano, and covered it in organic, free range chicken stock (w/ no added salt). Boiled it, added some egg noodles and frozen peas. It was spicy and just hot enough. Felt great for a hour after I ate it.

I hooked it up last night. Sauteed a small onion, poblano pepper, and a serrano chili in some olive oil. Added two heaping spoonfuls of yellow curry powder, a heaping spoonful of oregano, and covered it in organic, free range chicken stock (w/ no added salt). Boiled it, added some egg noodles and frozen peas. It was spicy and just hot enough. Felt great for a hour after I ate it.

That sounds delicious! I think I might go home and make just that after class and before practice

Take care with excess decibels too, as they can cause ear wax build up

Which in turn can cause blockage....encouraging sinus infection and a host of unpleasant side effects

What?

Seriously, I wear special musician ear protection when I jam out or go to shows, so I got that covered.

That sounds delicious! I think I might go home and make just that after class and before practice

My wife came home last night and said the kitchen smelled wonderful. Even she, who doesn't like my cooking because I use a lot of stuff like whole wheat floor and brown rice, said it was good. Curry will do that. Just wish I had had more peas. Peas and curry are wonderful.

My wife came home last night and said the kitchen smelled wonderful. Even she, who doesn't like my cooking because I use a lot of stuff like whole wheat floor and brown rice, said it was good. Curry will do that. Just wish I had had more peas. Peas and curry are wonderful.

Brown rice is the best! Yesterday, I stir fried up a bunch of chicken with some sesame seeds. Cooked up some brown rice and heated that up with peas and onions. The kitchen still smelled good when I left this morning. I do love cooking

Yes, the saline spray is helpful too. Don't use those nasal decongestants unless it's an absolute emergency (i.e., you can't breathe through your nose and there's an apple lodged in your throat) because they cause rebound congestion and your cold will never go away.

Take Gilliangirls's advice. Don't go the medicated nasal spray route. Did that once when I was taking a very expensive course that I just could not miss and ended up using that stuff numerous times a day for over a year. Couldn't breathe through my nose without it. Now you couldn't pay me to go near it. Not like quiting smoking but it was tough to break the habit. I still smoke. One day though...

Home made chicken soup from scratch is the majic elixir for me.

My MD told me with the damages those nasal sprays cause he is surprised they haven't been banned.

I wear it with ethnic pride, brother!

Good on ya!

Archived