Gibson Brands Forums

SG is not for me

TormentorsLP

After playing my SG for 7 months I realized that I don't really care for the guitar, I don't know what it is but I have difficulties playing it. I went to Guitar Center on Sunday and tried out a Les Paul Traditional plus with the Iced Tea finish and fell in love with it. It just felt right in my hands and I wasn't struggling to play it. I will be buying it in 2 weeks and can't stop thinking about it, I am like a kid in a candy store thinking about it.

Just to add counterpoint, if you will

I love my SG to bits

For me it is light and has an easy playing action

But I would not have it as an 'only guitar'

Great SG players

Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, George Harrison, Angus Young et al

V

:-({|=

I've tried to love SG's on several occasions, but it just never happend. And I've always been a "Gibson" guy.

Just like a Strat doesn't feel right to me, the SG doesn't either.

I suppose I could get used to it over time, but, who has time?

The only "problem" I have, with my SG, is when switching from

another guitar (LP, ES, or Strat), I can find myself, in the

wrong place, on the neck, because of the percieved length

difference (optical illusion). I.E. (example) I'll end up on C#,

when I thought, I was (or, should be) on B. The necks are, of

course, the same length/scale, but they just look different, due

to the high upper fret access, the SG allows. But, it's easy to

re-orient myself..."red faced" and all. LOL

CB

The only "problem" I have, with my SG, is when switching from another guitar (LP, ES, or Strat), I can find myself, in the

wrong place, on the neck, because of the percieved length difference (optical illusion). . . . . . due to the high upper fret access, the SG allows. . . . . .

CB makes a good point.

I have more or less the same thing happen when when switching back to LP. The feel throws me off. With the double cut and upper fret access, the first minute or two, I have to look at what I'm doing at above 12 until I get the feel back - that's where I'm expecting to feel the heel of the neck.

And then some guys just like the feel of more "meat" on the guitar - more substantial weight and thickness.

What's odd, too...is that I don't seem to have that orientation

problem, going back and forth, on my Ric 12-string or even my

LP Special, which both have the same kind of upper fret access,

as the SG. I wonder(?), if it's because my SG has the same fret

markers, as the Les Paul (Standard), and because it has so much

more "neck" in the clear...or, "available," that it just throws

one off, for a bit? I also, seem to do ok, going the other way,

from the SG, to the LP or ES, etc. It's only if I start out, on

another guitar, and go to, the SG, that I have a bit of a short

disorientation, at times. Weird, I know...but, it happens.

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Well I brought the new LEs Paul home this past Saturday and I can't put it down. I should have bought it instead of the SG. But you learn from your mistakes I guess. Now I don't play my Stratocaster as much but that's a different guitar all together. I will get pictures up as soon as time allows. All I do is work, sleep, get up, play in the morning for 3 or 4 hours than go to work.

I've been an LP lover for years. I did, however, buy an SG Supreme a few years back and love it. Unlike other SG's, the Supreme has a maple top which really brings out the mids and highs. It also has an ebony fretboard which I love and split diamond inlays which are a classy touch. I hate to say it, but it's the best playing / best sounding guitar I own - much more like an LP than an SG (which is also probably why they quit making them: Lack of sales - SG guys want their SG's to sound like SG's and LP guys... well, we like our LP's don't we).

Although my SG sounds and plays like a dream, it's also one of my least played guitars, preferring my LP's and PRS over it. SG's are notoriously neck heavy and with the 24 fret neck of the Supreme (great for soloing) this seems even more so. I also don't care for the SG "look". Yet even with these cons, I'll probably never sell it. Just sounds and plays too good!

LP's v. SG's? It's a subjective thing

The only "problem" I have, with my SG, is when switching from

another guitar (LP, ES, or Strat), I can find myself, in the

wrong place, on the neck, because of the percieved length

difference (optical illusion).

Yep totally agree with this but even so I'm a big SG Fan

Very important thing is the 'Candy store' effect - and a nice feeling to have when your not a kid anymore. If I dont have it when Im buying a guitar I generally dont keep it very long. Congratulaions on your purchase - thats if it actually happened as Ive seen no pictures .....

After playing my SG for 7 months I realized that I don't really care for the guitar, I don't know what it is but I have difficulties playing it. I went to Guitar Center on Sunday and tried out a Les Paul Traditional plus with the Iced Tea finish and fell in love with it. It just felt right in my hands and I wasn't struggling to play it. I will be buying it in 2 weeks and can't stop thinking about it, I am like a kid in a candy store thinking about it.

This is why you'll hear so many of us recomending one go and play a plethora of various guitars in order to find "the one". Remember that even amongst like models, there are often differences in sound and playability...

Glad you found one you like.... I, too, love the new Traditional Plus. Best Buy has a desert burst that is incredible when played through a Bogner Alchemist!

I can't seem to post them larger.

Just a guess, it may be that the file size is too large. If you re-size them with a photo editing program, you can reduce the file size while enlarging the on screen size.

I will try next time to see if that works, any idea what size would be best?

I don't know. Other sites, I generally keep the file size under 2 KB, but I'm not sure that is your issue.

Try reading this post from another area of the site on how to post images, see if there is anything there that can help.

Archived