damian

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's damian?....

no, really.....

Seriously....

[tongue]

He made me promise I wouldn't tell. He told me before I promised, but I respect him and his wishes. If armed forces came to my door demanding I tell them where his tracks are, I would'nt tell them. I feel dishonest myself just letting people know I know about his videos. I would have kept shut too if it weren't so much fun teasing people.

Kim, you are wonderful!

He put in plain text - up at the top of this thread - in teeeeeeeny tiiiiinnnny letters there that if you ask nice I may just tell you where his tracks are ----- so ----- it appears we are under different oaths. [smile]

I do respect him and his wishes as well. In all seriousness.

Good news tho!! - permission granted from the Damian himself :) to post the link. He said he's going to post it on the Epi forum soon.

It IS uploaded on HIS channel which I helped him set up on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/user/damianblakeley

HOWEVER he's got it set to private there, for now, so y'all have to go to my channel instead (for now, meanwhile you can subscribe to his channel):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py6VIZGUXTU

He's just noodling around with a solo, but it was fun.

Like his tone.

Cell phone recording -- not too bad sound quality tho overall.

Linda

I understand not wanting people to hear your unfinished music, my closest friends don't know I even have a Soundcloud account. It takes a bit of the stress off of me. but there's still my father who listens, I want to just be able to post my music and not worry if it's good enough.

I'm VERY chatty (once you get me talking, I won't shut UP)

Linda

You'll fit in just fine around here [thumbup]

Anywhoo I wish you the best on getting things sorted out with your real life..... And welcome [thumbup]

I dunno...

When I was a little kid the thing I disliked about Mom making me learn piano was that I really already wanted to play chords. As I got a little older, I wanted to play nice fat jazz chords.

Then some years of trumpet and finally guitar.

Then for years it was folk and rock and country and... eventually some of those fat chords.

Somehow I'm convinced I think chords first, then notes that go inside. Others, I think, have notes in their heads that then can have relationships to chords.

Never went back to keyboards, although there's a 1970s version in a box somewhere around here.

m

I dunno...

When I was a little kid the thing I disliked about Mom making me learn piano was that I really already wanted to play chords. As I got a little older, I wanted to play nice fat jazz chords.

Then some years of trumpet and finally guitar.

Then for years it was folk and rock and country and... eventually some of those fat chords.

Somehow I'm convinced I think chords first, then notes that go inside. Others, I think, have notes in their heads that then can have relationships to chords.

Never went back to keyboards, although there's a 1970s version in a box somewhere around here.

m

It is interesting how we have an almost natural pre disposition towards certain aspects of musical style. in you there was/is a hunger for chords! I was going to suggest that maybe it was a part of you that likes to hear the bigger picture which a chords paints? but then I am curious why a keyboard instrument didn't satisfy the Milo ears msp_biggrin.gif

Matt

Matt...

I dunno. I think it was more the style of teaching and my age. I started piano at 4 and never enjoyed it at all. Hey, we're talking circa 1950 and the "method" book was not really fun, or so it seemed to me.

It seemed as if I wasn't really playing music, just notes. Later on, maybe circa age 11 or 12, I tried to write some stuff but I couldn't figure the "fat" chords and that frustrated me. I could "think" notes a bit independently on the trumpet from maybe age 10 to 21, but it didn't entirely click either.

But with guitar at late age 17 things clicked even though it was just folkie stuff.

Our heads all learn differently, though. I still can't "think" like it appears most "lead guitarists" do, although I do it my way which probably is more a matter of notes on chords rather than scales and notes from it for blues type stuff.

Edit: Thinking a bit more, yeah, I think I probably am a "big picture" person. It's kinda been the same way with math and foreign languages where I know I got frustrated with trying to learn the parts when I wanted to feel the whole instead.

Edit: As I was driving to work after writing the above... I think writing and martial arts (except "rules" in various competition) came to me more easily because both went from the whole to the parts. I knew how to speak, so writing was a subset; I knew Zen (Yeah, an odd kid at 12) so martial arts was a subset. My probable weaknesses then were overemphasis on craftsmanship as opposed to just doing.

m

Interesting stuff, guys!

Nobody told me to write with 3 or 4 chords....... LOL

So -- my music (turns out) does follow structure and form but, the chords I naturally gravitate to when composing are "weird" meaning --- someone more knowledgable in theory has to explain the name of it to me! Jazz-like.

I dunno if they're "fat" but they have notes I can't explain...... musicians tend to say "cool progression" though, so, I'm doing something right... LOL somewhere.....

OK guys ...... talk without me for a bit........ I gotta get back to non-computer life here, but THANK YOU for the warm welcome!!

Be back in when I can ----- I am more available on Facebook, Twitter generally.

:)

Linda

Our heads all learn differently, though. I still can't "think" like it appears most "lead guitarists" do, although I do it my way which probably is more a matter of notes on chords rather than scales and notes from it for blues type stuff.

Edit: Thinking a bit more, yeah, I think I probably am a "big picture" person. It's kinda been the same way with math and foreign languages where I know I got frustrated with trying to learn the parts when I wanted

m

I knew your answer would be interesting!! Cheers (clink) Me too, re being a 'big picture' person. I always liked the classical guitar and piano because there was so much going on. It was like you were in charge of mini orchestras rather than one instrument. When I was about 14 I saw this kid playing lead guitar, (well I say 'kid', but he was was older than me) He was so proficient at lead, people were almost afraid and scared at how good he was!! I thought right then and there, that is not for me... when I get older and am a better player than I am now, I never want people to be afraid...moved, yes, inspired, excited etc etc but not afraid, that seemed horrible LOL.Going back to the guitar and piano, I still love the way you can have parts that on their own would seem inane/nothing, but as a part of the contrapuntal writing aka 'the big picture' something very exciting happens!!!

Matt

I knew your answer would be interesting!! Cheers (clink) Me too, re being a 'big picture' person. I always liked the classical guitar and piano because there was so much going on. It was like you were in charge of mini orchestras rather than one instrument. When I was about 14 I saw this kid playing lead guitar, (well I say 'kid', but he was was older than me) He was so proficient at lead, people were almost afraid and scared at how good he was!! I thought right then and there, that is not for me... when I get older and am a better player than I am now, I never want people to be afraid...moved, yes, inspired, excited etc etc but not afraid, that seemed horrible LOL.Going back to the guitar and piano, I still love the way you can have parts that on their own would seem inane/nothing, but as a part of the contrapuntal writing aka 'the big picture' something very exciting happens!!!

Matt

When you shared that video of you playing that blues at the classical recital, I was intimidated.

Just sayin'.

Stein...

I think I know kinda where Matt's coming from - more of a "chamber music" sort of intimacy that comes from classical guitar or even the far less adept stuff I do with far less talent.

Yeah, I'm also in awe of Matt's talent and his ability to make "style" somewhat irrelevant, but I'm also in the same general concept of most appreciating a performance where there's more audience intimacy so it's more of a "we are enjoying music together" feeling as opposed to a "The group is on the bandstand and we're gonna move you" sort of thing.

Both bring good feelings but... frankly my least fun performing is when there's a big stage and a relatively big audience and lots of room and worse, spotlights, between me and them.

A "classical guitar" concert usually is a lot more "up close and personal."

So... yeah, while Matt's talent and ability is literally awesome, don't forget that the performance style is that of being part of the audience rather than separate from it - and in a live performance I'll wager that's how audiences feel.

In a sense, the weakness to vids and such is that the big "glass" screen is an automatic barrier that simply doesn't exist in a live performance.

m

Milod:

I get it. It was a great performance, and a great venue and he played it wonderfully.

What really got me wasn't really that, but the fact that with a classical guitar, and at a classical recital, he was able to bring the blues with such authenticity and conviction. From an Englishman no less.

I think kinda what he is saying is that sometimes someone can have so much talent as to be a little intimidating to see them play.

That video of Matt playing the blues scared the hell out of me.

I love it!! Total topic derailment!

I love you guys!!!!

Terrific conversation, I'm enjoying the discussion - keep going!

(decided to check in on things anyway --------- need to alter a dress waterchange fishtanks make dinner etc..... this is more interesting and less stressful, LOL~!)

Archived