Gibson Brands Forums

THANKS GUYS!

WahKeen

Ok guys, yes I came a very close second. A difference of 24 votes is really a victory, especially who I was going up against. I want to thank you all for your fabulous support. Every vote from every angle helped immensly. More people came out of the woodwork to vote that I didn't know, and friends of friends jumped on board as well.

Facebook was crazy. Dozens of people put the info on their Walls and showed support I never thought I'd get. My family had people from Peru, Mexico, El Salvador, Australia, and Sweeden voting for me. My students were just awesome... You guys incredible.

At one point I was up by 64 votes yesterday at around noon. I was very exited and manic. At around 12:15, after someone voted, he said, "Oh good, you're up by 15!"... I just froze for a second and checked my phone, and sure enough, it was true. The winner had been a silent 3rd place all along in this round. It was another band that had been neck and neck with me earlier and were the ones I was worried about.

But I knew I couldn't count Kyra out and, she began to gather steem strong! After being up by 64, I was down by 90 by 5pm.

At that point I saw the writing on the wall, with 4 hours to go. However, when I got home the deficit had been cut to 40. So I had to make a decision whether to bow out or keep fighting. I had been working so hard on this contest for weeks, and wasn't going to give up having come this far. If I was going down, I was going to go fighting with all I had.

So, I turned my truck around and went to Walmart. I remember seeing people selling stuff outside their doors and so on, so I was determined to give that a shot.

I stood outside, for 3 and a half hours in the cold wind (not saying this for sympathy), but it was cold! I remembered all my "fans" working hard too, so I wasn't going to slap them in the face by quitting while they were going nuts trying to get me votes.

So, I handed out close to 200 flyers, got some nice people saying they would vote, got some people that just kept walking (2), some funny looks, some not interested (2), and all in between. It was humbling, but if I didn't stand up for myself and slapped all the people supporting me in the face by quitting, I was not going to live with that.

In the end I made Kyra very nervous, lol. She's currently in the studio, sells her music on Amazon, Itunes, two other sites, has her own website, plays concerts weekly, and more.

The moral of the story is that I came out of nowhere and showed some muscle from you all and everyone. THAT is what makes me proud. I'm so proud of the people who said they were going to vote and did! Even personal friends forgot to do so and finally did after I sent them friendly reminders. That's just the nature of people. It's fine. It's not THEIR reality, and you've got to go out and get what you want, not expect it.

So, the GOOD things that so far have come out of this are these:

1) I was made a "Featured Artist" on the site

2) I'm still going, because even if I had won, I would have to pay for travel, etc...

3) I get to go to a workshop with Christian music industry people, and get to pick their brains.

4) I plan to enter a "Christians Got Talent" competition at the festival. It's a huge 3 day festival with over 40 bands playing, different stages, and more...

5) Connections and exposure.

So, I don't see this as a "loss". It's definitely a "win, win" situation. Sure, I would have liked to have the professional press kit, the gig, a guaranteed spot on next year's festival (Yes, there's next year! [smile] ). But it all worked out like this for a reason. I don't forget what you all did.... Not for a second. Thanks guys!!!! Joaquin

K. Will do today. Dang, these spammers................. ! [flapper]

And thanks BigK and Channy.

Hey I was happy to vote for you, though I wish I'd been more vigilant in doing more voting, I'm glad this was a positive experience for you and you defiantely got your foot in the door.

You obviously don't have to go to youtube and like my video if you don't want to and or genuinely don't like it, but It'd be awesome if you did!

Hey I was happy to vote for you, though I wish I'd been more vigilant in doing more voting, I'm glad this was a positive experience for you and you defiantely got your foot in the door.

You obviously don't have to go to youtube and like my video if you don't want to and or genuinely don't like it, but It'd be awesome if you did!

Now c'mon... Of course I will support you. I did like it. It remainded me a little of STP's Highway Love Song... It was short but heart felt. That was nice. The pics of the scenery were real nice... Good work, man.

Now I clicked "like" when I wasn't signed in and then when I signed in. Did that count as 1 or 2 likes? Not sure if you already had one "like"....

Now c'mon... Of course I will support you. I did like it. It remainded me a little of STP's Highway Love Song... It was short but heart felt. That was nice. The pics of the scenery were real nice... Good work, man.

Now I clicked "like" when I wasn't signed in and then when I signed in. Did that count as 1 or 2 likes? Not sure if you already had one "like"....

One, but now I know you like it twice as much [razz]

Thanks man!

Sorry we couldn't push you over the top.

Maybe somebody will notice how close it was and offer you a different opportunity?

No worries jnastynebr. I spoke w/ the festival founder during the contest and knew it was a cut throat thing, but the opportunities, I believe, will grow out of attending and the festival and talent show. I'm communicating with the site's founder too on a daily basis and he loves to help the site musicians out. All this is a tremendous blessing two months ago I didn't know was coming. Thanks for your backing, man.

And thank you for the votes in each round (in no particular order), dem00n, petec, BigK, Jon, jaynasty, DASS, Davidl, Nath00n, daveinspain, ArtieO, Chanman, Jeff7, shred, stein (if I had lost by one vote...), firstm, stiffhand, damian, lagerfanny, rocketman, zken, randyman, farns, lungisman, guitar-dog, rokkstar, chase1440, big norm, andy, manse, flood, south paw, dsldsnn, jdk customs, kimbabig, milod, bowdiddley, dbreslawer, gsbass, lted, lpguitarman, steve allen, codename, and sorry if I left anyone out (or the ones that voted and didn't post they did, thanks!). And duane for keeping the threads alive!

Joaquín...

Your music ain't mine, but I figure that any of us having the opportunity to play music we enjoy and to reap meaningful rewards is a "blessing" we need to be thankful for.

My best wishes also and always.

m

Joaquín...

Your music ain't mine, but I figure that any of us having the opportunity to play music we enjoy and to reap meaningful rewards is a "blessing" we need to be thankful for.

My best wishes also and always.

m

Thanks Milod. I know you're more into screamo post metal thrash deathcore with Irish leprechaun dancelore underground krunk.

I can respect that! .... [flapper]

Joaquin...

I literally did a chortle-schnarf when I read your response and got a funny look from a coworker. <grin>

"I know you're more into screamo post metal thrash deathcore with Irish leprechaun dancelore underground krunk."

Actually... excluding the term "screamo," I'm not sure how far off you are. <chuckle> Although I have done more than a cupla blues "shouts" over the years.

Hmmmmm.

m

Archived