Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD

mud guy

I picked this up today, it showed up on kijiji a day ago and couldn't resist. It's a 2003 Epiphone Elite Les Paul Custom. The guy that was selling it had a Gibson LP custon (black) and a Gibson LP standard (also black). I think this was his backup at some point.

The gold hardware is a little worn, and there are a couple of cosmetic dings, but overall very good condition. Incredibly low action, hot pickups and slim neck. It weighs about the same as my regular LP custom. Here are some picks:

In her case:

2011-05-05184121.jpg

The case (very nice)

2011-05-05184040.jpg

Neck/Headstock

2011-05-05183923.jpg

Body

2011-05-05183841.jpg

And with her cousin from China, my other LP custom with P-94s

2011-05-05183728.jpg

time to play!

-Cal

Congrats on your Elitist, wonderful looking guitar and a great stable mate to your other custom, HNGD Muddy.

@Brian, Hank Kimble eh, Green Acres has to be one of my all time favourites, love how Lisa (Eva Gabor) spoke, mispronounced words and just plain made up words, priceless.

Congrats on your Elitist, wonderful looking guitar and a great stable mate to your other custom, HNGD Muddy.

@Brian, Hank Kimble eh, Green Acres has to be one of my all time favourites, love how Lisa (Eva Gabor) spoke, mispronounced words and just plain made up words, priceless.

+1 on the Elitist. Very sweet.

And Green Acres was just so stupid it was hilarious [biggrin]

+1 on the Elitist. Very sweet.

And Green Acres was just so stupid it was hilarious [biggrin]

I have a tremendous sense of the ridiculous (it's a permanent affliction), so it's right up my alley.

HNGD! Is there more/thicker binding on the Elitist?

It certainly looks like it in the crappy cell phone photos, but it is the same pattern- a thicker white binding followed by two pinstripes.

I played her a bit last night...very very nice. It does not feel noticeably different from other custom, but the action is so much better on the elite. I will have to A/B them over the weekend.

It does not feel noticeably different from other custom, but the action is so much better on the elite.

That's nothing, the action is easy to adjust just simply by doing a basic set-up.

That's nothing, the action is easy to adjust just simply by doing a basic set-up.

sorry RaSTuS, I mis-spoke...I meant to say that the action is soo much lower on the elite. I actually don't like the action that low and I will raise it a bit when I put new strings on on the weekend. I quite like the setup on my regular les paul custom, and honestly I am not (yet) really blown away by a difference in quality. Of course I have played gibson les pauls and was not blown away by a difference (to justify the price). But I did change the pups on the chinese custom which was a big change in the sound.

-Cal

sorry RaSTuS, I mis-spoke...I meant to say that the action is soo much lower on the elite. I actually don't like the action that low and I will raise it a bit when I put new strings on on the weekend. I quite like the setup on my regular les paul custom, and honestly I am not (yet) really blown away by a difference in quality. Of course I have played gibson les pauls and was not blown away by a difference (to justify the price). But I did change the pups on the chinese custom which was a big change in the sound.

-Cal

LOL, yeah I thought you meant the LPC was too high, btw, there are several ways to improve the sound of the stock Epi pups for under $10 if you can use a soldering iron.

1/ change the caps on the tone pots to a higher value than the standard 0.047uf.

2/ place a cap in series with the hot pickup wire, see this thread: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/63847-taming-muddy-sounding-pickups/page__p__864775__hl__taming__fromsearch__1#entry864775

3/ implement a treble bleed on your volume pots, easier than it sounds.

Each of these fixes involves buying 2 caps, I'd recommend Sprague Orange Drops, they're cheap, readily available, robust and are considered good quality.

Archived