Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar sacrifices 09/20/08

ksdaddy

I do not normally advocate this, in fact I have been known to become enraged when others do it, but in my defense, these were well thought out. One was a Hyostar Hummingbird copy with numerous puncture wounds, a broken truss rod and subsequent missing fingerboard. Hung in the garage for a year. One not pictured is a Chinese copy of a Martin Backpacker I bought on ebay in 2005 for $3.00. The neck popped out a few months later. I glued it, then it decided to warp. As of last night the strings were 7/16" at the 12th fret. Another is a Chinese classical that had a severe hump in the fingerboard. My intention was to remove the frets, plane the board, and refret. All for a $49 guitar very much against any common sense. When I removed the frets I discovered the fingerboard was plywood. And not even good plywood, I mean the same kind of splintery garbage they make the REST of their Chinese crap out of. And yet another sacrifice was the top off a Briarwood, the rest of the guitar was already a victim of domestic abuse (by the high and mighty son of a Pentecost minister I might add) and I was saving the top for some unknown reason.

I burned many things last night. Many things I was sure I'd save for some future projects. I figure I've got too many things going on and now is the time to cull.

cm040.jpg

2hezggi.jpg

34ep8ia.jpg

ksd - your wisdom and understanding of all things guitar is - as always - beyond compare.

You have removed the damaged homes which shackled those guitar elves, and freed the sunlight that made the trees they were crafted from. Now that light can go back into the universe and grow trees for better guitars, and the elves can seek out homes in better guitars.

I think you are, perhaps, a wizard..... or a madman - the difference is slight, if any!

ksd - your wisdom and understanding of all things guitar is - as always - beyond compare.

You have removed the damaged homes which shackled those guitar elves' date=' and freed the sunlight that made the trees they were crafted from. Now that light can go back into the universe and grow trees for better guitars, and the elves can seek out homes in better guitars.

I think you are, perhaps, a wizard..... or a madman - the difference is slight, if any![/quote']

Sounds like those guitars were made from the same stuff they make cheap suit cases from. The word "crafted"

might be used very loosely here.

huumm wonder if i could put some strings on my suit case

asjc - how did they sound, and what guage did you use. I hear those tennis shoes are kinda tough to get up to concert pitch, and can make a bit of a raquet/racket too.....

But seriously - I look inside my ancient Framus, my old Harmony and now this tired old Hohner, and there was some good timber work going on back in the fifties, sixties and seventies - in SOME parts of the world anyway!. Sure - not quite to the standards of Gibson and Martin - but it is craftsmanship and stands head and shoulders above some of the work I see inside a lot of the el-cheapo guitars currently filling the shops, which owe more to the housing construction industry than the craft of the luthier.

Archived