Gibson Brands Forums

Which Amp should I pick?

zachd33

Ok I'm buying a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded, now I am trying to decided on an amp. I don't know a whole lot about amps so any input you have will help. I've narrowed down my search to a few. Looking for a good metal/progressive rock/alternative/indi/blues sound.

Line 6 Spider Valve 112 (all tube amp 40 watts) , Line 6 Spider Jam (recording and looping built in 75 watts) , Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo (all tube amp 50 watts) , or Fender FM 212 DSP (100 watt solid state).

I didn't know Line 6 made "all tube" amps' date=' I know them as being a company that makes modeling amps and stuff. Between what you've listed, I'd go for the Peavey and just to avoid all that digital stuff, but I'm a tube snob.[/quote']

like I said I dont know much about amps, but this is how the line 6 spider valve is described.

The Spider Valve Series merges the best of Line 6 modeling technology with a long-time love of guitarists, the tube amp. Developed in cooperation with Bogner, the valve-driven Spiders have Line 6 modeling on the front end along with a pair of 12AX7s to begin shaping the tone, with an all-tube 6L6 power amp circuit. This gives guitarists a "best-of-both-worlds" scenario, with the flexibility of a modeling amp with pure tube tones from the Spider Valve series. Line 6 once again re-invents modeling with the Spider Valve!

I didn't know Line 6 made "all tube" amps' date=' I know them as being a company that makes modeling amps and stuff. Between what you've listed, I'd go for the Peavey and just to avoid all that digital stuff, but I'm a tube snob.[/quote']

They don't. Instead they use a pre-amp tube on the front end to warm up the digital sterility of their modeled sounds. Kinda like the ADA MP1 through a solid state rack amp - remember those days? =D>

IMO, you will get a better sound out of the Valve King, zachd. That said you mentioned almost every genre of guitar music known to man in your description of the sound you wanted "metal/progressive rock/alternative/indi/blues sound". [-X

In that case the versatility of a modeling type amp may be helpful, allowing you to access a variety of sounds quickly.

I had a Fender FM 212, but got rid of it for a Fender Blues Jr., and got rid of that for a Vox AC15...I love the AC15!!

I just went amp shopping with a friend and she picked out a Fender Super Champ. 5 watts, I think. Pretty nice little tube amp for $225. It has a bunch of effects, too. I might just pick one up myself. Her budget was $500; so, this fit in nicely. Her second choice was a Roland Cube 60.

Most people on here like something all tube, but you have more variety with a modeler. I think the Spider Valve or Valvetronix series amps would be a good starting point of you don't know the exact sound you want. They sound warmish, but have a lot of variety. My Vox had 11 models (most of the more famous sounds) and I got to find what I liked. After using that for a year or so I bought a true tube version of the amp model I was using mostly which was a marshall/vox style. My $.02

Goodluck!

Most people on here like something all tube' date=' but you have more variety with a modeler. I think the Spider Valve or Valvetronix series amps would be a good starting point of you don't know the exact sound you want. They sound warmish, but have a lot of variety. My Vox had 11 models (most of the more famous sounds) and I got to find what I liked. After using that for a year or so I bought a true tube version of the amp model I was using mostly which was a marshall/vox style. My $.02

Goodluck![/quote']

Would you say the vox valvetronix 50 watt is loud enough to practice with a full band? Not necessarily play shows, but just practice and jam out.

Line 6 does make a tube amp in combination with Bogner it's called a Spider Valve. It is a pretty nice choice, but not my cup of tea. Everyone is different and the above members are correct, it is your ears you have to please. Valve is the European name for tube. Bogner amps are high end units that are called Boutique. Boutique amps are quite special and real Bogners are extreme amps. The Spider Valve does not have modeling technology though (like the regular spiders), that would be really cool. There are two models of these tube combos and a head/half stack. The Spider Jam is a cool little 75 watt modeling/practice amp made just for jamming.

Besides the type and style of music you play, everything depends on how much you have to spend on an amp. Other factors include whether you want a new or vintage unit, where you intend to play it (bedroom, stage, small club, etc.), portability, wattage, and whether you wish to connect to a cabinet or have the amp self contained. Even a combo amp can have two speakers, or only one (making it much easier to carry around). If you wish for easy portability you do not have to necessarily discount a head and cab as they are making plenty of cool small heads/cabs these days. Krank, is one.

Some amps accept one type of tube only and others are multi tube acceptable. Some are not even necessary to bias when replacing tubes.

You can find tube amps for much less than 500 that will work. Some need further modification. Some are worth very little once you take them home. There are plenty more great choices in the 500-1000 range, but when you go over the 1000 range you are into some really special amps. The Fender Supersonic is nice, but a new one is over 1000 and some have issues. The Spider Valve combos and Bugeras by Beringer are in the 600-850 range and are getting good reviews. Hand wired amps are usually much more expensive than circuit boards (which are like motherboards on computers) and provide a powerful amp at low wattage. I remember being totally amazed at first by what a great tube amp could do at low wattage.

My 47 lbs. Dr. Z is really great, it is a single speaker 18 watt combo with master volume and reverb, but it was close to $1600, they have some less expensive units such as heads for around $800 and combos just under $1000, but many people go for wattage when it is not necessary. The Z's 18 watt is like 50 from a solid state amp and will sound better too. The DSL's 50 watts half stack can easily play to an auditorium of people, but so can the Z. it would even sound great at Madison Square Garden if mic'd through the PA. That is the trend today.

At first I bought a Peavy combo and I customized the speaker, but have it up for sale now (not much interest). I bought a small Fender, a Mesa Boogie and 3 Marshall Heads (2 hybrids with one preamp tube only and an All Tube DSL50 JCM2000). I traded the all tube Mesa Boogie (didn't like it) for a Telecaster and got the Marshall DSL on Ebay (with the warranty) for $800 when it was just being discontinued, then had all the tubes replaced and biased and checked out which was another $200. I could part with any of them, but plan on never ever selling the Dr. Z.

Sometimes you really have to do your homework on-line and do some driving and pay more than you would expect to get what you will really love. I drove 1.5 hours away in the rain and snow, just to try the Z. There were several great amps to choose from and I made my choice right then and there. One way is to start trying the best and work your way down from there. Practice studios charge by the hour and have some great amps to play on.

Many times you pay extra for a name, (Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Vox and Fender), but if you decide to sell later this can be to your advantage. I remember studying Ebay pricing on amps for months before I purchased a thing. Weekend pricing is higher than during the week and vintage handwired units go for much more than new circuit board units.

Bruce Egnater makes some nice affordable amps, but until now they were really heavy, their brand new small model head is a twenty watter called the Rebel, it definitely looks worth a try as soon as it is released. Look to GC for it.

Wow.... lots of info here...

Of the amps listed, I'd say the Peavy, too, tho Surf makes an excellent point about the versatility of the modeling amps.

I saw you have a multi-effects pedal.... does that give you all the sounds you need? If so, then really any amp should do fine (I'd still go with the Peavy... the reviews I have read for their amps were mostly favorable).

Generally speaking, a 50 watt amp should be fine for practice or playing out.

If this is your first Les Paul, may I recomend you go play it through the amps. I was surprised at how much difference those humbuckers made over the Strat's active pups...

GL and enjoy the hunt!

They do. They paired up with Bogner to make a tube-digital combo amp. If I remember correctly, they get all the power from like 6 tubes, and the digital part only kicks in to set an amp model to follow (meaning, whether the tone is modeled after a Mesa, a Marshall, etc.) But all the power is generated in tubes.

I've heard only good things about the Carvin V3 and Stevie Vai Legacy. They're heads, so you have to buy a cab too, but they are supposedly outstanding.

The V3 is supposed to be a very good high gain amp. The head and matching cab half stack combo is like $1,480. The Legacy is a little less versatile, but supposed to be an amazing amp in its own right as well. The head and matching cab on that one is like $1,360 or something.

Unfortunately, Carvin's are all sold by the company only, so I don't think there is really a way to try before you buy. But based on all the positive things I've heard, as well as some impressive videos I've seen of 'em, it's the amp I definitely want to get after I finish saving up for a Les Paul.

My humble advice is if you are going for a modeling amp, get one of the VOX ADVT-XL models. I have the 30 Watt version and I am very happy with it. At least until I get my next tube amp. I had one of the Line6 modeling amps and I really hated it and did not keep it. Going by the choices on your list, I'd take the Peavy.

I prefer fender all tube amps with peavy all tube amps my second choice... The Fender blues deluxe is plenty of power... The fender Blues junior is good too but wont do the trick in large live venues.... If you are on a budge the Peavy valve 112 as you mentioned is good...

If I said Orange would you guys jump all over me? lol

I dont even think of amp shopping anymore.

I found my Holy Grail of the amplifier world....I cant praise them enough. Check one out and im sure you

wont be disappointed.

Good for you man, congrats again, as I have said before, very few players find their perfect amp. I too found mine recently, but am willing to give Oranges a try...

Ok I'm buying a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded' date=' now I am trying to decided on an amp. I don't know a whole lot about amps so any input you have will help. I've narrowed down my search to a few. Looking for a good metal/progressive rock/alternative/indi/blues sound.

Line 6 Spider Valve 112 (all tube amp 40 watts) , Line 6 Spider Jam (recording and looping built in 75 watts) , Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo (all tube amp 50 watts) , or Fender FM 212 DSP (100 watt solid state).

[/quote']

none of the above.

how much cash do you have? i see why the Line 6 is appealing, but i think they sound like crap. I had a VK, its prolly the best of the 4, but i still thought it was crap- crappy construction, crappy speaker, crappy tubes, worthless drive boost, very solid state sounding....i bought a Fender HRD and a Boss ME-50, lots of tones to be had there.

If I said Orange would you guys jump all over me? lol

I dont even think of amp shopping anymore.

I found my Holy Grail of the amplifier world....I cant praise them enough. Check one out and im sure you

wont be disappointed.

Not at all! I once considered getting the small Orange Tiny Terror, but the Thunderverb looked awesome and more to what I was looking for, just too expensive for me. Which model did you get? What Olm speaker outs does it have?

Archived