Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone like to cook?

daveinspain

Here are a couple things to try... Take a couple artichokes (fresh from the market) Cut the stems so they're only stubs about 1/2 an inch long. Now take a sharp kitchen knife and cutting off about an inch and a half from the top. Hold the artichoke upright with the stem facing down and slam it hard against a counter top. That will help you open up the artichoke so you can poor some olive oil in it. Be sure to put the artichokes in a shallow bowl and spread the leaves a bit with your hands so the oil can flow in and around well. Take a good amount of salt and sprinkle it on top, don't be afraid to put a lot....

That's it. Put the shallow bowl with the artichokes in the microwave on high for ten minutes... Comes out perfect like it's been cooked in the oven for an hour... Mmmmmmmm

You can do the same with a potato but it's even easier... Wash the potato but don't peel it. Get a fork and jab the potato to make holes all around it. Poor a little olive oil on the potato and spread it around with your hands to get a thin even coat. Sprinkle some salt or seasoning salt over it. Stick it in the Micro on high for 10 minutes. Best baked potato you'll ever have... :-)

Anyone else got a quick easy recipe?

Same recipe for onions, only I use garlic pepper as well as salt. Cut off the top and leave the bottom intact, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Works on a grill, too.

How about a small pat of butter on a Pecan Sandie for about 10 seconds in a microwave?

When you want to talk about a bit more challenging recipes, let me know :D!!

I can one up that baked potato for ya!

Bake you potato any way you wish, once baked take the potato and cut in half as you would serve it. With a spoon remove the inside of the baked potato right to the skin, put the potato "guts" as I call them in a bowl and mix in the following to your taste.

-Butter milk

-Butter

-Bacon pieces (not fakeon bits)

-Chives

-Green Onion

-Cheese

Mix together thoroughly and put back into the stripped skin, bake said potato unwrapped for a couple mins to get it crunchy and enjoy, just dont eat too many cause its far from healthy.

I find cooking to be a happy mid point between science and art, gotta measure the units carefully and correctly for it to taste good, and well we all know how nuts people can go with presentation.

Artichokes are weird there like five dollars each n the grocery store and there probably the easiest thing there is to grow in your yard. I like to prepare them just as Dave started but then seasoned butter instead of olive oil wrap in foil and throw them on the grill. serve with a seasoned mustard instead of butter and your set.

Good timing on this post were grilling artichokes and pork chops for dinner tonight in fact. Now if i could just figure out what to do with a couple hundred pomegranates id be set with the garden.

Here are a couple things to try... Take a couple artichokes (fresh from the market) Cut the stems so they're only stubs about 1/2 an inch long. Now take a sharp kitchen knife and cutting off about an inch and a half from the top. Hold the artichoke upright with the stem facing down and slam it hard against a counter top. That will help you open up the artichoke so you can poor some olive oil in it. Be sure to put the artichokes in a shallow bowl and spread the leaves a bit with your hands so the oil can flow in and around well. Take a good amount of salt and sprinkle it on top, don't be afraid to put a lot....

That's it. Put the shallow bowl with the artichokes in the microwave on high for ten minutes... Comes out perfect like it's been cooked in the oven for an hour... Mmmmmmmm

You can do the same with a potato but it's even easier... Wash the potato but don't peel it. Get a fork and jab the potato to make holes all around it. Poor a little olive oil on the potato and spread it around with your hands to get a thin even coat. Sprinkle some salt or seasoning salt over it. Stick it in the Micro on high for 10 minutes. Best baked potato you'll ever have... :-)

Anyone else got a quick easy recipe?

Maybe you get different artichokes there but if you try that with one from the market here you're going to get stuck. Word of advice here if anyone thinks to try this, put on an oven mitt or a glove. Or trim the tips of the leaves.

Yep they get pretty sharp after they have been sitting around for a while in the warehouses or stores. When fresh there not half as bad I have a pair of heavy electrical scissors that we keep in the drawer just for artichokes snip the larger leaves spikes off on the outside level throw those into the compost pile and your set to bring them in and prepare.

The flavor is also a lot harsher or more green tasting? if that makes since if you get them in the store the only thing better than fresh vegetables is fresh eggs I have three small chickens running around in the backyard eating bugs and after having them for a couple years now I won't even eat store bought eggs.

Yep they get pretty sharp after they have been sitting around for a while in the warehouses or stores. When fresh there not half as bad I have a pair of heavy electrical scissors that we keep in the drawer just for artichokes snip the larger leaves spikes off on the outside level throw those into the compost pile and your set to bring them in and prepare.

The flavor is also a lot harsher or more green tasting? (if that makes sense) if you get them in the store, the only thing better than fresh vegetables is fresh eggs I have three small chickens running around in the backyard eating bugs and they lay usually two or three eggs every day and after having them for a couple years now I won't even eat store bought eggs.

Maybe you get different artichokes there but if you try that with one from the market here you're going to get stuck. Word of advice here if anyone thinks to try this, put on an oven mitt or a glove. Or trim the tips of the leaves.

That's why I said to trim the top an inch and a half down, you might even go two inches... Cuts off the pricklies....

That's why I said to trim the top an inch and a half down, you might even go two inches... Cuts off the pricklies....

Hmm the ones here sometimes have a spike on each petal all the way down, I figured you meant only the top inch and a half of the choke.

Same recipe for onions, only I use garlic pepper as well as salt. Cut off the top and leave the bottom intact, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Works on a grill, too.

How about a small pat of butter on a Pecan Sandie for about 10 seconds in a microwave?

When you want to talk about a bit more challenging recipes, let me know :D!!

Hmmmm, sounds like a challenge... I just posted a couple quickie easy recipes. My chilly con carne Rocks!!!

Hmm the ones here sometimes have a spike on each petal all the way down, I figured you meant only the top inch and a half of the choke.

Yeah I did... Cut the tops off.... Don't worry after 10 minutes on high in the micro everything gets soft. When you get down to the heart it's like butter. The outer leaves you only scrape the bottom of the leaf with your teeth. The deeper you go the more you can eat...

Beer Cheese Soup

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

1 medium onion, chopped finely

4 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

1 beer (do not use crappy beer)

In a soup pot, make a rue with the butter, flour and onion (melt butter with onions, add flour, stir until there are no more lumps of flour)

Add broth and stir.

Add cheese and stir until all ingredients are combined.

Add the beer and serve hot.

For those who like to tailgate, the base can be made ahead of time and heated up at the game on a Coleman stove. Add the beer there and serve!

Yeah I did... Cut the tops off.... Don't worry after 10 minutes on high in the micro everything gets soft. When you get down to the heart it's like butter. The outer leaves you only scrape the bottom of the leaf with your teeth. The deeper you go the more you can eat...

Yeah artichokes are one of my faves, especially some piping hot spinach artichoke dip.

Beer Cheese Soup

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

1 medium onion, chopped finely

4 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

1 beer (do not use crappy beer)

In a soup pot, make a rue with the butter, flour and onion (melt butter with onions, add flour, stir until there are no more lumps of flour)

Add broth and stir.

Add cheese and stir until all ingredients are combined.

Add the beer and serve hot.

For those who like to tailgate, the base can be made ahead of time and heated up at the game on a Coleman stove. Add the beer there and serve!

Not bad Chan... I think you should change the name to Liquid Heart Attack though..... [scared]

I cook all the time.

People been telling me for years I ought to open up a restaurant.

I don't know. Maybe some time in the future. It's a lot of work. I need good help too.

I don't mind the cooking or the customers, it's the other day to day stuff I'd rather not deal with.

Not bad Chan... I think you should change the name to Liquid Heart Attack though..... [scared]

No? We still have some leftover from the feast.( I made 5 gallons.) It's absolutely wonderful, especially when I put some of the saute'ed mushrooms I made in with it.

The coolest thing about the feast was that the recipes most folks wanted were the ones I came up with on my own. The beer cheese soup was... uhm... borrowed from a feast I was at long ago.

Shouldn't ought to leave valuable recipes just laying out unprotected when Vikings are about.

Just saying'...

;)

I cook all the time.

People been telling me for years I ought to open up a restaurant.

I don't know. Maybe some time in the future. It's a lot of work. I need good help too.

I don't mind the cooking or the customers, it's the other day to day stuff I'd rather not deal with.

No doubt you are a good cook Cali... How about a recipe... [biggrin]

Scramble an egg, and put in a zip-lock bag. Then cut up all the things you usually like in an omelette, season it, and put them in the bag with the egg. Boil a pot of water and put the closed bag in the water. Give it 5-10 minutes and you have a good breakfast! Just cut it out of the bag before you eat!

Scramble an egg, and put in a zip-lock bag. Then cut up all the things you usually like in an omelette, season it, and put them in the bag with the egg. Boil a pot of water and put the closed bag in the water. Give it 5-10 minutes and you have a good breakfast! Just cut it out of the bag before you eat!

Ok, but why not just make the omlette... :-k

You spell it like this here: roux.

Red Beans & Rice

1. Soak a pound of red beans in water overnight, them drain & rinse well.
  2. Add 2 bay leaves, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped green bell pepper, 3 chopped ribs of celery, with 6 cups of chicken stock.
  3. Simmer til beans start to soften, about 60-90 mins. (stir well ~every 15 mins.) Add 1 lb. of chopped HOT smoked sausage links, keep simmering til beans are done, stirring occasionally. Add more stock if you like soupy beans.

Start your rice at the same time you start your Jiffy cornbread. Get ready for some praise & adulation.

Archived