Gibson Brands Forums

Rolling Stones all need to retire

swleary

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richards and Wyman carried that band after Brian Jones died. And now that Wyman is out, it's just Richards. Mick is the king of hanger-ons. Yeah, he had the business sense, but what good is marketing if your product is crap.

????

Wyman carried the Stones, EVOL? Please explain. I thought he mainly carried on in a well-reported dubious relationship. Really, truly great Stones basslines to compare/contrast with those truly great McCartney lines for the Beatles, please? 'Jumping Jack Flash' is something of an exception in that it has a good (not great) bass line, but it is the interplay of Jones and Richards that really makes it musically. That and Jagger's vocal - I get shivers when he gets to the bit about being raised by a two-bit skinny hag and schooled with a strap right across his back. Jagger has always been Richards' writing partner and is therefore so much more than a hanger-on. All those epoch-defining lyrics. His vocal style is unique, and while revisiting them recently has made me more aware of his limitations than I used to be, it still is more a part of their sound than anything Bill Wyman ever did. 'Not Fade Away'? Wyman was never really in the mix in the first place. If anybody has carried the post-Jones Stones in tandem with Richards, it has to be the truly great and still easily forgotten Charlie Watts. Better, more versatile drummer than Ringo by several thousand leagues (however perfect Ringo may have been for his group).

??. Not quite as silly as the above stuff that you correct, but where do the Beatles come in? Do we get to do the Beatles or Stones thing? I'm down.

I mean, they don't compare. One is like a coke in a glass with ice, and the other is a shot of whiskey.

Jeez you would think some of you are IN the Rolling Stones...why take someone else's opinion so personally?

As far as opinions go, YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT, because, Stevo sees a red thread and he wants to PAINT IT BLACK,

because he's posting 2000 LIGHT YEARS FROM HOME; by midnight he'll be a MIDNIGHT RAMBLER WAITING FOR A FRIEND,

and all he wants is SYMPATHY FOR THE STEVO............

Wyman carried the Stones, EVOL? Please explain. I thought he mainly carried on in a well-reported dubious relationship. Really, truly great Stones basslines to compare/contrast with those truly great McCartney lines for the Beatles, please? 'Jumping Jack Flash' is something of an exception in that it has a good (not great) bass line, but it is the interplay of Jones and Richards that really makes it musically. That and Jagger's vocal - I get shivers when he gets to the bit about being raised by a two-bit skinny hag and schooled with a strap right across his back. Jagger has always been Richards' writing partner and is therefore so much more than a hanger-on. All those epoch-defining lyrics. His vocal style is unique, and while revisiting them recently has made me more aware of his limitations than I used to be, it still is more a part of their sound than anything Bill Wyman ever did. 'Not Fade Away'? Wyman was never really in the mix in the first place. If anybody has carried the post-Jones Stones in tandem with Richards, it has to be the truly great and still easily forgotten Charlie Watts. Better, more versatile drummer than Ringo by several thousand leagues (however perfect Ringo may have been for his group).

Wyman is a great bass player and wrote some tasty bass lines. He is the under recognized musician in that band. Sure, compared to a complete musician like Paul, Wyman can't hold a candle.

Brian Jones era Stones is the best. They lost a lot when he died.

Watts great? Please don't make me laugh. That guy just rushes every beat. His playing is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Wyman is a great bass player and wrote some tasty bass lines. He is the under recognized musician in that band. Sure, compared to a complete musician like Paul, Wyman can't hold a candle.

Watts great? Please don't make me laugh. That guy just rushes every beat. His playing is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I think Wyman is a great bassist, and has a great and individual style that is a staple of the Stones. Which bass lines do you refer to as your favorites?

As for Mr. Watts rushing the beat: no disrepect, but you might study Jazz rhythm and blues rhythm. His playing actually involves a lot of great shuffle, and if you break it down, you will find that it is KEEF who is many times playing with the rhythm against Watts.

??. Not quite as silly as the above stuff that you correct, but where do the Beatles come in? Do we get to do the Beatles or Stones thing? I'm down.

I mean, they don't compare. One is like a coke in a glass with ice, and the other is a shot of whiskey.

This is why I like Stein. Keeps us to the point. So let me refine mine. Yes the comparison probably is unnecessary, but sort of culturally pre-programmed. Indeed the differences are in the Coke vs. JD range, but I was thinking less in terms of style per se and more in terms of technical ability and capacity to tailor that ability in a tasteful way to fit with the stylistic requirements of their band. As a non-bassist (as in, can pick up a bass and make a vaguely musical noise like most guitarists, but have no real experience on the deeper instrument), I have never really been able to hear much from Wyman that really made me nod in an impressed way. 'Jumping Jack Flash' to some extent, but as said it is the so-called weaving of Jones and Richards which gets my attention first, then Jagger's vocals, then Watts's drumming. He doesn't undermine the whole enterprise, which says much for his taste, but I've never felt that he contributed that much either. Perhaps EVOL can teach me something. Please, not looking for a Beatles/Stones argument, just reaching for (too obvious) comparisons.

This is why I like EVOL. Always has an interesting angle and is willing to educate in matters of sound. Also he can see past the effects of tiredness on posts (one beer only in this case), to find the genuine question underneath. On a few occasions we have seen very much eye to eye on matters of playability and tone, so maybe you can teach me how to hear Wyman's playing as something other than just sticky fingers. I really am interested in knowing which lines I should pay more attention to and why. Didn't want to start up a Watts-Starr debate either (hence the nod to earlier threads which rightly recognized Ringo's crucial importance to his band's sound and performance). But I've heard some of Watts's jazz playing and he knows what he's about. I think he brought greater variation to his band without excess: 'Paint it Black' is on the money for me, and he makes it - along with Jones and Richards. That said I'm less of a drummer than a bassist.

I agree that Jones-era Stones is (at least much of) the best. My dad brought me up to think of Brian Jones as the most gifted musician in the band. But I also have a soft spot for the Taylor era. They were still making ground-breaking rock at this stage, Keef perfected his signature open G style, and the second Mick really played some beautiful lines ('Moonlight Mile'), even if Richards didn't really approve.

Glad Mick's lyrics and singing hit you in the right places. His lyrics and singing do nothing for me. Nothing.

I am TOTALLY down, man. I, as well, was brought up to believe the Stones were gifted musicians, mainly by my mother, but my father approved as well.

Also, I have been learning to appreciate the Beatles more. Sometimes, we need others who are musicians and fans to point things out to us that we may have missed. Feel free to tighten me up on that.

As for Jones, indeed, he was extremely talented. He was a good player, and he was largely responsible for putting the band together and also was the man behind the gigs, the manager, before they got a record contract. BUT: he was out of the band well before he died. He didn't contribute to the songwriting, and started not showing up for practice and recording sessions. When he did show up, he wasn't making much of an effort and leaving early or just not playing along, and eventually, just didn't show up. While it was the Stones who asked him to leave eventually (largely because he couldn't get a visa for the next tour) they gave him a VERY generous offer, and agreed to pay him a percentage all money made from the stones by allowing them to move on without him.

Funny you should say that about Mr. Taylor. KEEF himself actually described his playing just as you did, calling it "beautiful". His only complaint really is he didn't want to "weave" with him, but he liked his playing quite a bit.

When we look closer at the reality of 'benefits' and 'charity gigs' etc

We find 'celebrity' comperes and MC's

Being paid huge sums for a supposedly magnanimous engagement.....

V.....Buddy can you spare me a dime?.....

:-({|=

Never been a fan of Mick...I find his dancing disgusting, and his voice annoying...Kieth Richards on the other hand, I have nothing but respect for, and really dig him as a person as well...

Au Contraire mon ami.....

Mick IMO is the reason the Stones are legends and able to draw ginormous crowds to Copacabana Beach etc

There is enormous good humour, wit and intelligence in the burlesque prancings him of

IMO it is impossible not to enjoy, laugh and be moved by a Stones concert to this day.....

V

:-({|=

Archived