Gibson Brands Forums

Night Hawk owners

wardog

Switching scheme I was thinking about was normal Strat-style single coil selections with the push-pull up, and the following with the push-pull down:

1: Bridge & neck single coils

2: Bridge humbucker and middle single

3: Neck humbucker only

4: Bridge & neck humbuckers

5: Bridge humbucker only

Got this wiring diagram from the Gibson site, I hope it corresponds to the above, but I don't honestly know. Maybe someone who knows more electrickery than I do can advise?

nithawk2.gif

Doesn't include the option for all 3 pickups though. Maybe another push-pull that just brings in the bridge or neck would be a better idea? I'm not clever enough to be able to figure out how to wire that though, I'd need to go Googling for a diagram.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Trans Black and I like the pups that came with it. The only mod I am considering is adding a bridge pickup switch, so I can have a neck/bridge option or when the 5 way switch is in the second position, I can add the bridge pup to get all three at the same time. Although, I am concerned with what might happen, if I combine all three pups together. I don't want to cause a ripple in the space/time continuum by combining all three tones together. Then again, I might be able to take my Nighthawk and go back in time and hang out with someone like Jimi Hendrix and see what he could do with a guitar that can crank out so many different awesome tones...

I have the Trans Black and I like the pups that came with it. The only mod I am considering is adding a bridge pickup switch, so I can have a neck/bridge option or when the 5 way switch is in the second position, I can add the bridge pup to get all three at the same time. Although, I am concerned with what might happen, if I combine all three pups together. I don't want to cause a ripple in the space/time continuum by combining all three tones together. Then again, I might be able to take my Nighthawk and go back in time and hang out with someone like Jimi Hendrix and see what he could do with a guitar that can crank out so many different awesome tones...

Time travel is always enjoyable

I think Jimi would have used the 'in between' switch positions

Thereby increasing the number of pickup combinations.....

V

:-({|=

Some of you already know my story about ordering, in February, and not seeing it until August, but apparently that's only if I want the fireburst. The honeyburst is starting to look tempting but I guess I'll have to do some soul searching to decide if it's really worth the wait.

In the meantime they ordered a amber model for me to try to see if it was worth the wait and for what you pay for I'm very satisfied with the guitar. No swapping electronics in the foreseable future for me.

Also, I recommend anyone interested google the working conditions in Indonesia if they're wondering whether or not the labour policies there are fair.

The big challenge in Indonesia is the fracturing of islands, as there is a large central island, there are many other smaller islands that make up Indonesia. Over the last decade the work force there has enjoyed certain standards like being allowed to form unions and collectivly bargain for wages and rights. While this is encouraging compared to the Authoritarian regieme that was in place prior to 2000, there has been doubts of how well these new policies are enforced throughout Indonesia. Thankfully international pressures have helped to develop better wage and labour laws for this developing country.

Keep in mind this is just a breif of a few articles I read, and is only opinion based on that, not fact.

Also, I recommend anyone interested google the working conditions in Indonesia if they're wondering whether or not the labour policies there are fair.

The big challenge in Indonesia is the fracturing of islands, as there is a large central island, there are many other smaller islands that make up Indonesia. Over the last decade the work force there has enjoyed certain standards like being allowed to form unions and collectivly bargain for wages and rights. While this is encouraging compared to the Authoritarian regieme that was in place prior to 2000, there has been doubts of how well these new policies are enforced throughout Indonesia. Thankfully international pressures have helped to develop better wage and labour laws for this developing country.

Keep in mind this is just a breif of a few articles I read, and is only opinion based on that, not fact.

What's your point, if you think the Indonesians are repressed, what about the Chinese ???

What's your point, if you think the Indonesians are repressed, what about the Chinese ???

Ok Junior, calm down. My note on Indonesia's working conditions was meant to be a positive one; and also that there is no apparent reason to boycott this particular product made in Cileungsi, near Bogor by Samick Musical instruments due to improving conditions there.

My post was not about China, I'm not about to get into a debate about China and their labour policies that's a whole 'nother thread.

If you're from Australia though you probably know all this already since it's around your neck of the woods. Have you ever visited Indonesia?

My point is in that post and it's one reflecting positively on Indonesian manufacturing.

Ok Junior, calm down.

My note on Indonesia's working conditions was meant to be a positive one; and also that there is no apparent reason to boycott this particular product made in Cileungsi, near Bogor by Samick Musical instruments due to improving conditions there.

Don't call me Junior, I find it highly offensive.

Who even mentioned boycotting any product, for any reason, from any location, this sentiment is something you, and only you have raised.

The Nighthawk for me has to be the most amazing value for money out there

Probably in part due to it's Indonesia build location (I wonder what wage the assemblers are paid)

If there was a Gibson equivalent with beefy p/u's I would probably have had that

The other option is a complete 'beef up' of all 3 p/u's and wiring loom

Then total cost starts to escalate.....

V

:-({|=

You're right Rastus and I appologize for my junior remark. My inital interest in the labour conditions was sparked by V's comment, to which I remembered many a Gibson Lounge posters boycotting Chinese and subsequent non-American made products and drew the two together.

Regardless my intention was to enlighten Nighthawk users to where their guitars came from, including myself.

No Hard feelings?

Switching scheme I was thinking about was normal Strat-style single coil selections with the push-pull up, and the following with the push-pull down:

1: Bridge & neck single coils

2: Bridge humbucker and middle single

3: Neck humbucker only

4: Bridge & neck humbuckers

5: Bridge humbucker only

Got this wiring diagram from the Gibson site, I hope it corresponds to the above, but I don't honestly know. Maybe someone who knows more electrickery than I do can advise?

nithawk2.gif

Doesn't include the option for all 3 pickups though. Maybe another push-pull that just brings in the bridge or neck would be a better idea? I'm not clever enough to be able to figure out how to wire that though, I'd need to go Googling for a diagram.

Andy, if you dont mind a new hole, I would suggest the fender bridge mod. you would keep the current switch set-up of the night hawk and added to it with a toggle. really easy mod. the wire diagram is on the fender site for the players deluxe strat.

no need to worry !!! i had a deluxe players strat and all three pups sound awesome in the second position!!!. If I get a honey burst for father's day, i most definitely will add this mode.

here is the link to the fender diagram. not sure if it is easier to switch to the fender style switch. I believe the night hawk has a more mordern switch style.-- leads lined in a row and more of a block shape. I have done this mod with a spst toggle on a suier strat mod for some freinds and had great success with it.

My link

I have mine Ordered waiting on it coming. Now I just have to learn to play the thing [lol]

On the SD literature it shows a SD pup in the Middle position. What PUP is that?? It's not a normal strat type single is it??

I have a Honeyburst & it's a honey!

I figured at this price I'd have to change out everything, but I'm actually pretty happy with it as is.

I will change bridge saddles, maybe the complete bridge.

Pickups suprised me! Probably keep them around for awhile.

Maybe a P90 in the neck?

So far, just a fun little guitar. [biggrin]

I have a Honeyburst & it's a honey!

I figured at this price I'd have to change out everything, but I'm actually pretty happy with it as is.

I will change bridge saddles, maybe the complete bridge.

Pickups suprised me! Probably keep them around for awhile.

Maybe a P90 in the neck?

So far, just a fun little guitar. [biggrin]

You should know the rules by now, pics or it doesn't exist, LOL.

Archived