Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio - How to maintain the wood?

InBlack.

Hi all,

I just bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and a very interesting studio model at that in that it isn't lacquered whatsoever on the body. In other words the guitar just has a very thin line of paint on the body. You can actually see the natural wood creases and grooves on the guitar. The sound is quite different from a Standard which is one of the reasons why I bought this particular model. (the other being the relatively low price-tag)

Now to my question. How do I keep the wood of the body from drying out? Most electric guitars have a pretty thick coat of paint and as such are really well protected from moisture loss.

The guy at the shop said I should apply some sort of cream every month or so, but Im pretty sure he had no idea what he was talking about.

So....any ideas?

I dunno, subscription to Playboy ???

OH, not THAT kind of wood ... eusa_naughty.gif

I have a faded model too and I am no more worried that it will dry out then with any other guitar. Just take reasonable care of it. If you're comfortable your guitar is comfortable. I'v never heard of anyone putting cream on a guitar, or lemon oil on the body for that matter either. Virtuoso products do a dandy job of taking care of finishes.

The guiatr you have uses nitro-cellulose lacquere, not paint.

I use Lemon oil on the fretboard. But Lemon oil on the quitar? Hmmm

Guitarslinger, faded model? Is that what its called? Are you sure its the same type of guitar? Damn I have to check out the Gibson Catalogue or get a digital camera and post a picture.

*edit*

Okay , I checked out the online Gibson Catalog, its the Les Paul Studio with the Worn Cherry finish. Its a nitro-cell finish like guitarslinger already said, but its still extremely thin

I'm still worried about its porosity, although I know that mahogany and maple are supposed to age well. #-o

I really like the way the faded models age. My faded SG is 2 years old and gets played almost daily and the finish is close to what it was but it looks like it has some spots where its worn into more of an orange shade, (Slightly)

Also I've been using gibson pump polish on it since I've owned it and that has added a little to the finish as well.

Maybe it's just me' date=' but I wouldn't put a humidifier in an electric guitar case. Won't that eventually harm the hardware?[/quote']

I agree!! Hardware + the electronics. Moisture ( humidity ) + electronics = corrosion ! Plus, if you do that you better have your truss rod tool ready !!!

The wood is already dried out in a kiln to 5-6% moisture content. Leave it alone! the reason it sounds different than a Standard is because OF the lack of finish. If you keep applying polishes, creams, oils or whatever you will eventually "fill" those pores. As a woodworker and Luthier it is my opinion and experience to advise you to just play it, enjoy it and just wipe it down with a clean cloth!

This is just my opinion based on experience, please get all the opinions you can and make a decision at that time!!

Have fun!!

-Rj

I am going to second Bluemoon with his suggestion on the room humidifier. I have an acoustic, an LP and a steel resonator sitting out on stands. All different animals with different needs, but to compromise I have a room humidifier set at 40% relative humidity. Not too moist...not too dry and keeps things stable rather than fluctuating too much one way or the other. With Acoustics and probably with the wood in electrics it is the quick fluctuations temp and humidity that can cause problems.

I have also found it helps my breathing and dry skin during the hot dry summer and cold winter.

Archived