Gibson Brands Forums

Can you tell which is which? ***RESULTS***

Spot

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I tripped on 3 and 4. Went back for a 2nd listen. #3 (Sq shoulder CW) does have that low end thing going. What fooled me was the lively top and overall response. The J50 (4) in contrast sounded squeezed on both ends, which is why I took it for a mid-60s model (aka the CW). Lacked sparkle. Does it need a set-up?

Yes Please!!!!

Bur seriously RED, they are three different guitars and could should very different, no?

:unsure:

They COULD, and do have some SUBTLE differences, but they sound pretty consistent. Anyone who could tell which was which without some personal experience with them would have to have psychic powers in addition to golden ears! There's not as much variation in age or features between them as in the guitars in your test. One is an Elitist and two are Elitist McCartney Texans, all MIJ. Why two (or three)? Long story. Anyway, the Elitist and one of the McCartneys were made within a month of one another, and the OTHER McCartney within a year of those. The Elitist has a poly finish, while the McCartneys have nitro, and (if I remember correctly) slighter back bracing.

Red 333

They COULD, and do have some SUBTLE differences, but they sound pretty consistent. Anyone who could tell which was which without some personal experience with them would have to have psychic powers in addition to golden ears! There's not as much variation in age or features between them as in the guitars in your test. One is an Elitist and two are Elitist McCartney Texans, all MIJ. Why two (or three)? Long story. Anyway, the Elitist and one of the McCartneys were made within a month of one another, and the OTHER McCartney within a year of those. The Elitist has a poly finish, while the McCartneys have nitro, and (if I remember correctly) slighter back bracing.

Red 333

...Oh,..I thought you had a US as well????

RED can you kindly repost that great shot of your collection. I tried to finf it on the Forum the other day but couldn't...

[unsure]

...Oh,..I thought you had a US as well????

RED can you kindly repost that great shot of your collection. I tried to finf it on the Forum the other day but couldn't...

[unsure]

With pleasure. These are pretty old now, so they don't show the J-45 TV, SJ TV or J-160E Peace.

picture524.jpg

picture126q.jpg

Red 333

With pleasure. These are pretty old now, so they don't show the J-45 TV, SJ TV or J-160E Peace.

picture524.jpg

picture126q.jpg

Red 333

As always Red - awesome collection. Your vines are gorgeous.

And every time I see those vines the GAS starts building. Almost bought a J-45 Vine last year at Elderly - http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-12543.htm

The end seams were a bit uneven (not level) so I passed. Haven't seen one since.

Spoton, the J50 sample didnt have top sparkle anywhere near like the other 2 slopes (Texan & J45) which, as a rule, should all be brighter than a square shoulder. It reminded me of my '65 J50 before I had it worked on. Made me wonder if yours in optimal shape? Just a thought. Cheers, Rambler

Spoton, the J50 sample didnt have top sparkle anywhere near like the other 2 slopes (Texan & J45) which, as a rule, should all be brighter than a square shoulder. It reminded me of my '65 J50 before I had it worked on. Made me wonder if yours in optimal shape? Just a thought. Cheers, Rambler

Yes Rambler, it needs work.

I'm taking her in next week for a fret dress, set-up and tweak. Assuming my luthier agrees, I'm also going to go for a bridge mod...I've decided that this should improve the sound.....and boast volume.

Also she will get a set of New Klusons tuners that I've recently reliced...

Thinking back, someone asked about the strings on all four guitars in the test. I've just realised that the j j-50 actually still has the old strings on that she had when I bought her so a new set should help with the tone...god knows how long they have been on the guitar!!!

:mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well, back to the drawing board! Well done Anne! Interesting that what Rambler described as bloom, I heard on the older pair, not on the younger two. Need to check my hearing. Also intrigued that I liked the squareshoulder best. Rather glad that Anne was right, and that I was wrong, as it makes me feel all the more pleased with the already mature tenor of my newbie's sound. Thanks for the game, Spoton, even if I was way off!

Ah well, back to the drawing board! Well done Anne! Interesting that what Rambler described as bloom, I heard on the older pair, not on the younger two. Need to check my hearing. Also intrigued that I liked the squareshoulder best. Rather glad that Anne was right, and that I was wrong, as it makes me feel all the more pleased with the already mature tenor of my newbie's sound. Thanks for the game, Spoton, even if I was way off!

..No sweat Mojo. It was a lot of fun as well as an interesting experiment for me!

[thumbup]

Archived