Gibson Brands Forums

A guitar for a Bassist.

johnston

So I am GASing for a bit of 6 string jangling. I usually play bass but figured I'd try and get past the G/C/D and crazytrain on the guitar.

I have narrowed it down to

SG G400 the limited Maestro in Phelam blue (If the shop still has it it's on the site but I didn't see it in store) I played a Standard G400. I liked the neck but not a the painted finish and it was a bit heavy which is an issue for medical reasons. (It's also the wifes choice) .

The Nighthawk . Nice and light and I like the looks. Neck maybe a bit thin for my liking but I like it.

BUT....

Then I seen the '66 Wilshire sitting . They had the normal stop tail piece one and the Tremotone .

I've been watching youtube clips and reading reviews all day and I am a total loss at which one to pull the trigger on.

What's the common consensus on the Epi forums.

And by the way I already have a Epi T-bird and Viola for the low end stuff I'm more used too.

What's the common consensus on the Epi forums.

Welcome to the forum.

Common consensus? Are you kidding me. If there were a common consensus around here it would be a very boring place.

There are as many different opinions around here as there are members. But most will probably tell you to try out as many models as you can get your hands on and decide for yourself. After all, it's only YOUR opinion that matters.

Having said that, you mentioned some good models. I would also throw the Epi Dot out there. It's a great guitar that is extremely versatile and sounds and plays great.

You mentioned the SG was a little heavy. I find that interesting, because the SG is not one of the heavier guitars around. There are many guitars much heavier then an SG. It may just be the neck pulling on your left shoulder (right shoulder if your a lefty). Takes some getting used to, but I love my G400.

I have a '97 Epiphone SG Jr.. It weighs only 5.6 pounds. Look for a JR. model, they are usually a little lighter.

Howdy, welcome to the forum [biggrin]

Always room for a Bass player round here.

all three instruments would be a fine choice. I have played many guitars in all price ranges and i can safely say that Epiphones offer great value for money. What music do you like to play, what amp are you using?

Welcome to the Epi forum, great bunch of guys and plenty of good advice here, hope you enjoy it.

As mentioned above, everyone will have their own opinion regarding guitar choice so a consensus would be impossible, it does really depend on what feels good in your hands, only you can answer that. The Nighthawk has been a very popular model and very well received, of all the forum reviews of people who have bought one have been positive except one, it would be my choice.

... & don't you boys go forgetting that [biggrin]

Welcome johnston... Outta those three, for its apparent tonal variety, I would (just might!) go for the Nighthawk...

& show us those basses sometime hey [thumbup]

I think one thing to consider besides how much you want to play it, is how much you think other guitar players might like to play it when you find yourself in a possible JAM situation. Also, what YOU might like to hear a guitarist play when playing along with you.

I keep a BASS around not just because I like to try and play it well sometimes, but also for the (rare) event that a BASS player might show up. The more enticing the bass, the better chance to jam.

I figure, as a last resort, I can just order a pizza every couple days, and eventually one of them should be a bass player. I'll be ready.

I think one thing to consider besides how much you want to play it, is how much you think other guitar players might like to play it when you find yourself in a possible JAM situation. Also, what YOU might like to hear a guitarist play when playing along with you.

I keep a BASS around not just because I like to try and play it well sometimes, but also for the (rare) event that a BASS player might show up. The more enticing the bass, the better chance to jam.

I figure, as a last resort, I can just order a pizza every couple days, and eventually one of them should be a bass player. I'll be ready.

This is my signature bass

jazz.jpg

When it comes to jams at the mo (Via PSN) I use this [biggrin]

Cheers for the warm welcome folks.

Welcome to the forum.

Common consensus? Are you kidding me. If there were a common consensus around here it would be a very boring place.

There are as many different opinions around here as there are members. But most will probably tell you to try out as many models as you can get your hands on and decide for yourself. After all, it's only YOUR opinion that matters.

Having said that, you mentioned some good models. I would also throw the Epi Dot out there. It's a great guitar that is extremely versatile and sounds and plays great.

You mentioned the SG was a little heavy. I find that interesting, because the SG is not one of the heavier guitars around. There are many guitars much heavier then an SG. It may just be the neck pulling on your left shoulder (right shoulder if your a lefty). Takes some getting used to, but I love my G400.

I have a '97 Epiphone SG Jr.. It weighs only 5.6 pounds. Look for a JR. model, they are usually a little lighter.

Only problem around here is there is not a big lot of choice. One shop within handy distance, 2 have closed in the last year. Although one was owned by an accountant so you can imagine the prices. The one that is left is more aimed at the student I'll play guitar I'll look good and get laid market. Used to be lots of pointy Deans. Although they must have lost that deal. Pointy ESPs in stock now.

The weight wouldn't normally be an issue but with a few medical problems I know from my basses the lighter they are the longer I can play in a stint.

Howdy, welcome to the forum [biggrin]

all three instruments would be a fine choice. I have played many guitars in all price ranges and i can safely say that Epiphones offer great value for money. What music do you like to play, what amp are you using?

Amp wise I'll just be going through my CD Trainer . I wouldn't subject anyone to the disaster that is likely to project from my fingers [lol]

Music well my practice CD for the bass has Beatles, Mettalica, Greenday, Cee Lo Green, Bush, Patti La Belle, Cream and Queen amongst others. So pretty much if I hear something and like it I'll give it a go.

Obviously an SG will call for a bit of Angus [thumbup] [thumbup]

LOL, marvellous logic that <thumbs up>.

I need to learn to type quicker

... & don't you boys go forgetting that [biggrin]

Welcome johnston... Outta those three, for its apparent tonal variety, I would (just might!) go for the Nighthawk...

& show us those basses sometime hey [thumbup]

I'll get a decent family shot when I get the third Epi [thumbup]

I already know what any guitar sounds like in a Jam situation. Every time my mate (And old bandmate) picks up a guitar it's a Brian May Slash cross breed. Doesn't matter if he's on his Dimazzied Jackson or the daughters Hannah Montana Washburn he still manages to sound like him [lol] It's really quite odd :-k

And what are you trying to say about Bassists?? It's not our fault the drummer can't ride a Moped .

LOL...

AND...if the knock on the door starts at a tempo and speeds up, THEN I know I have found a drummer.

And if I want a harmonica player, I just look for the guy who takes a long time finding the right key.

WT# Mr Stein [cursing]

And what are you trying to say about Bassists?? It's not our fault the drummer can't ride a Moped .

BASSZINGA! [flapper]

[quote name='johnston' timestamp='1307178015' post='937850'

Drummers make lousy Pizza delivery boys - they either come in late or at completely the wrong time :P

Cut me some slack. There are 40 guitar players for every bassist.

And, it TAKES forty guitar players to ORDER a pizza....

It takes one guitarist to pick up the phone, dial the #, decide on the pizza to get, give the credit card #, hang up the phone, wait for the pizza, answer the door, sign the receipt and put the pizza in the kitchen. and 39 to say "I can do that".

Agreed [thumbup]

Bass playing has its plus's

# You can fit in EASIER as your a rarer breed

# YOU have BETTER dexterity and unlike most guitarists CAN play with their fingers individually

# Bass players can play notes NOT possible with a pick (Im talking 0xxxxx0, x0xx0x type ones)

# AND if you master Slapping its a very fun transferable skill that makes you unique [biggrin]

Im sure theirs more but thats what I've found as I've learned...

Nice Jazz. More a P man myself. Got the Fender Dirnt in the flock.

Jam via PSN???? How does that work out??

# Prefer - I also like the P but perfer the Jazz for its greater weight & 2 pickups

In the time I've been playing Bass I've had 4 Jazz's (3 Fender 1 a fretless & a Casey), Ibanez GSR200, Stagg BC300 Fretless and a Vintage V940 Active Fretless. 7 in all...

# PSN - 4 guys using Playstion Eyes, it ok, but the time delay is a pain to deal with...

Heres the 50th Finished, I'll be doing my collection later today

SDC11309.jpg

The Dot's heavier than an SG, but at the price/playability/versatility area I personally figure it's better. If it's too heavy usually the SG is among the lightest Epis.

Frankly I like Epi necks and you've a U.S. corporation importing them.

I think the Dot's probably the best Epi for the money at the low end. Some may find the shape offputting since it feels bigger than it looks. But as I said, it's exceptionally versatile. OTOH, you may wanna start hauling a bar stool to sit on while you're playing. And don't feel guilty. BB's done it for years.

m

I can't speak for the Nighthawk but I have the Wilshire and a friend has the SG. Things we agree on are

The Wilshire is lighter and balances better on a strap

The SG is more "powerful" sounding while the Wilshire is brighter

The Wilshire control knob layout is not as intuitive as the SG

The necks are not even remotely comparable (maybe just these two models)

The placement of the Wilshire pickup selector is a pain in the backside (although exactly as the original)

Both are great guitars in their own way

Neither of us would permanently swap one for the other

My advice would be try them both and make your own mind up. Whichever you choose you get a great guitar for the money.

Hi Johnston,I too am restricted to lighter guitars due to having back surgery and degenerative disc disease.I have an Epi G-400 Custom Les Paul-which is basically a 3 pup SG with gold plated hardware.I find this guitar extremely light and the wide neck would be well suited for the transition to guitar for a bass player.When I plug into my Marshall JCM 800 I can get the pure Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates crunch and raunch yet through my Blues Jr. it can ellicit some of the sweetest jazz tones since Wes Montgomery.I'd certainly recommend that you look into this guitar.BTW a lot of people are put off by neck-dive but there is a new product out there that solves that for a relatively low price: http://www.headsupstrap.com/ and that would cure that problem.

Archived