Gibson Brands Forums

De Quevains Tenosynovitis

Thats what i suffer from, i wont type it again it takes ages, basically it,s tendonitis at the base of the thumb, and it hurts, and i mean mother!!!. iv,e had it for over 3years , i have no doubt it was caused by my absolutely crap tequnique tension etc. anyway ive had steroid injections, accupuncture, herbal remodies and so on i still pray to the big fella every day " please make it go away", i took 6 months off playing last year and i stiil got, i started playing again it was that or top myself, there is a surgical procedure but it could go wrong OUCH. so that is a no.

So is there anybody having same prob or similar with gen advice, and is there a cure. If any of you can help me i will erect a monument, i will pay for your lessons, i will get you front row seats to see joe bonamassa (my man) i will start a relious sect and loan you all my girl friends (but dont tell the missus)

"MAY YOUR THREADS HELP ME IN MY NEED, MAKE MY HEART HAPPY DONT MAKE IT BLEED"

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 1564-1616

Cheers.x

There's quite a few members here with injuries that interfere with geetar playing......

Hmmm....I'll read up on that.......A couple of members on the Epi Side use the spice " turmac "

to help alieve swelling, pain, inflamation......Hmmm.........

I'll bet a Les Paul with a 50s neck would help a bit.......

Okay, I know at least two women who had this and it was cured (without surgery) by making sure that you don't tuck your wrist under your chin when you go to sleep. So when you go to sleep, put your hand flat under the pillow and make sure your wrist is straight all night. I know it sounds crazy, but about 3 weeks of sleeping like that and my current girlfriend was completely cured.

There's quite a few members here with injuries that interfere with geetar playing......

Hmmm....I'll read up on that.......A couple of members on the Epi Side use the spice " turmac "

to help alieve swelling, pain, inflamation......Hmmm.........

I'll bet a Les Paul with a 50s neck would help a bit.......

Damian.......what would i do without you

Okay, I know at least two women who had this and it was cured (without surgery) by making sure that you don't tuck your wrist under your chin when you go to sleep. So when you go to sleep, put your hand flat under the pillow and make sure your wrist is straight all night. I know it sounds crazy, but about 3 weeks of sleeping like that and my current girlfriend was completely cured.

why do i bother.......lol

You know that sausage fingers is a real condition and part of psoriatic arthritis (I assume you do)?

All the best to you and I hope your De Quervain's improves so you can do what we all like doing on this forum besides typing - playing the geetar.

why do i bother.......lol

That's actually what cured it. I watched her go through 4 rounds of steroids, acupuncture and chiropractic with no effect. What cured it was keeping her wrist flat while she was sleeping. Just watch for some time when you keep your wrist compressed at an angle for an extended period of time and figure out a way to keep it straight.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Sounds unpleasant. I'm afraid I have absolutely no advice or help to offer. Hope you find a solution.

Alright ill be the ****** bag here.

Why are you telling us this? Do you want our pity? Our guitars?

Ok, your suffering, so are billions of others. You suck it up and move on, that is life. Whadoesn'tnt kill you will make you stronger.

It seems like you just joined to spread this.

Alright ill be the ****** bag here.

Why are you telling us this? Do you want our pity? Our guitars?

Ok, your suffering, so are billions of others. You suck it up and move on, that is life. Whadoesn'tnt kill you will make you stronger.

It seems like you just joined to spread this.

just asking for advice thats all.......sorry i upset you

Thats what i suffer from, i wont type it again it takes ages, basically it,s tendonitis at the base of the thumb, and it hurts, and i mean mother!!!. iv,e had it for over 3years , i have no doubt it was caused by my absolutely crap tequnique tension etc. anyway ive had steroid injections, accupuncture, herbal remodies and so on i still pray to the big fella every day " please make it go away", i took 6 months off playing last year and i stiil got, i started playing again it was that or top myself, there is a surgical procedure but it could go wrong OUCH. so that is a no.

So is there anybody having same prob or similar with gen advice, and is there a cure. If any of you can help me i will erect a monument, i will pay for your lessons, i will get you front row seats to see joe bonamassa (my man) i will start a relious sect and loan you all my girl friends (but dont tell the missus)

"MAY YOUR THREADS HELP ME IN MY NEED, MAKE MY HEART HAPPY DONT MAKE IT BLEED"

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 1564-1616

Cheers.x

Hello, Fellow Babies,

Hey, man, I understand the pain. And flyingarmadillo may well be onto something in his advise. But how do you keep your wrist straight while you're sleeping? Well something that might help is a wrist brace. I don't know if this devise is still so easy to obtain, but I was able to get one *without a prescription." It consists of a thin piece of pot metal formed to fit against your wrist when it is straight, not bent; and it is held in place by wrapping an Ace bandage tightly round your wrist and thumb. I've seen some that also cup or support the ball of your thumb on the palm side. You can wear it while you sleep, or during the day at work if it doesn't interfere with your activity. Sorry the name of this devise escapes me at the moment so if it isn't called a Wrist brace" or something close you may wind up having to draw pictures for your pharmacist.

If you can really limit the movement of your wrist, you may get some serious relief, but it might be weeks before you feel the effects. My experience says that you should mostly limit the time you wear it to sleeping though. Sometimes I wrapped my hand in a little heating pad -- on it's lowest setting. When it does provide relief from the pain, it can be so welcome you could be tempted to wear the brace constantly, but the problem with that is you can * lose* strength in the other muscles supporting your hand. You will not believe how quickly that can happen. If you immobilize a muscle, it will began to atrophy immediately. I cannot stress this enough. If the muscle is allowed to atrophy - waste away - it can take months of exorcise to try to regain strength and flexibility.

An injury to my left arm did damage to the myelin sheath surrounding one of the nerves; testing revealed that the impulses from my brain were not passing through my elbow down to my hand. Crazy thing I didn't even realize that I was seriously injured. I noticed my hand was beginning to get tired while playing? After all these years? At first I thought I was just getting bored with old material, but eventually I had to admit I really had a problem. I could see that the muscle between my thumb and forefinger was diminishing in size, and within the year of the first symptoms, I didn't have the strength to form bar chords. I will not dwell on my mental state at losing the skill I spent so many years learning... The doctors insisted I needed an operation. I haven't been able to play for for nearly four years.

Long story short -- eventually the nerves have repaired themselves without the doctors. Okay, this is all wonderful and all, but it would be real miracle would be if I could instantly play just as I could four years back. I've spent hours of squeezing rubber balls to strengthen my grip, but the individual fingers are taking a long time. The knuckle joints in my fingers are responding, but the muscles in my thumb and the palm of hand are moving much more slowly. I fear that my hand may never be as strong, quick, and flexible as it was, and endurance is still a problem. But it may be that one day I can resume my quest to become the undisputed best guitarist on earth.

But enough about me. I don't have any doubt that flyingarmadillo's suggestion can work to give you some relief; it's not a cure, but if your tendinitis is mechanical inflammation (overuse) rather than a result of disease, the pain could subside in response to immobilizing your thumb every night. At least give it a serious try. But do not leave your hand immobile 24/7, just at night. It can take only a few months before you lose a significant amount of strength.

PS no monuments, no money just send me a nice electric hollow body. Oh yeah, and one for flyingarmidillo too, cause he thought of it first.

It may sound odd, but try spraying WD40 on your hand and letting it soak in. I know an older guy who sprays his knees with it every few days because he says it's the only thing that actually makes them stop aching.

From what I have heard, WD40 is harmless and is basically just fish oil :-k

Hello, Fellow Babies,

Hey, man, I understand the pain. And flyingarmadillo may well be onto something in his advise. But how do you keep your wrist straight while you're sleeping? Well something that might help is a wrist brace. I don't know if this devise is still so easy to obtain, but I was able to get one *without a prescription." It consists of a thin piece of pot metal formed to fit against your wrist when it is straight, not bent; and it is held in place by wrapping an Ace bandage tightly round your wrist and thumb. I've seen some that also cup or support the ball of your thumb on the palm side. You can wear it while you sleep, or during the day at work if it doesn't interfere with your activity. Sorry the name of this devise escapes me at the moment so if it isn't called a Wrist brace" or something close you may wind up having to draw pictures for your pharmacist.

If you can really limit the movement of your wrist, you may get some serious relief, but it might be weeks before you feel the effects. My experience says that you should mostly limit the time you wear it to sleeping though. Sometimes I wrapped my hand in a little heating pad -- on it's lowest setting. When it does provide relief from the pain, it can be so welcome you could be tempted to wear the brace constantly, but the problem with that is you can * lose* strength in the other muscles supporting your hand. You will not believe how quickly that can happen. If you immobilize a muscle, it will began to atrophy immediately. I cannot stress this enough. If the muscle is allowed to atrophy - waste away - it can take months of exorcise to try to regain strength and flexibility.

An injury to my left arm did damage to the myelin sheath surrounding one of the nerves; testing revealed that the impulses from my brain were not passing through my elbow down to my hand. Crazy thing I didn't even realize that I was seriously injured. I noticed my hand was beginning to get tired while playing? After all these years? At first I thought I was just getting bored with old material, but eventually I had to admit I really had a problem. I could see that the muscle between my thumb and forefinger was diminishing in size, and within the year of the first symptoms, I didn't have the strength to form bar chords. I will not dwell on my mental state at losing the skill I spent so many years learning... The doctors insisted I needed an operation. I haven't been able to play for for nearly four years.

Long story short -- eventually the nerves have repaired themselves without the doctors. Okay, this is all wonderful and all, but it would be real miracle would be if I could instantly play just as I could four years back. I've spent hours of squeezing rubber balls to strengthen my grip, but the individual fingers are taking a long time. The knuckle joints in my fingers are responding, but the muscles in my thumb and the palm of hand are moving much more slowly. I fear that my hand may never be as strong, quick, and flexible as it was, and endurance is still a problem. But it may be that one day I can resume my quest to become the undisputed best guitarist on earth.

But enough about me. I don't have any doubt that flyingarmadillo's suggestion can work to give you some relief; it's not a cure, but if your tendinitis is mechanical inflammation (overuse) rather than a result of disease, the pain could subside in response to immobilizing your thumb every night. At least give it a serious try. But do not leave your hand immobile 24/7, just at night. It can take only a few months before you lose a significant amount of strength.

PS no monuments, no money just send me a nice electric hollow body. Oh yeah, and one for flyingarmidillo too, cause he thought of it first.

yea now it starts to make sense anything is worth a try,................cheers both

It may sound odd, but try spraying WD40 on your hand and letting it soak in. I know an older guy who sprays his knees with it every few days because he says it's the only thing that actually makes them stop aching.

From what I have heard, WD40 is harmless and is basically just fish oil :-k

i never new that . worth a go for a while.........thnx

I read up on the condition........I also was thinking about the immobolization idea, but couldn't write it out well.........

overtherainbow's idea sounds like a start...........Mechanically, I understand the condition, yet it's still

hard to imagine being afflicted.......So, in a way, I feel your pain.....

That's actually what cured it. I watched her go through 4 rounds of steroids, acupuncture and chiropractic with no effect. What cured it was keeping her wrist flat while she was sleeping. Just watch for some time when you keep your wrist compressed at an angle for an extended period of time and figure out a way to keep it straight.

again much appreciated ..........cheers dill

eusa_eh.gif So you've come to a forum that can't agree whether a guitar looks better with the pickguard on or off and you want medical advice.

Okeusa_think.gif

Well, it's a perfect place for that elusive second opinion.....and a third, and a fourth, and.........:unsure: [crying][scared][razz] ....

Archived